1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TGG: Bat Masterson Season 3

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian:C, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Brian:C

Brian:C Well-Known Member

This will complete the series. Released date is November 5, 2013

Note this from the amazon page:

"PLEASE BE ADVISED: Due to clearance issues, the following episode has been excluded from this season:
    Terror on the Trinity"

At least they are being upfront about the issue. Anybody know about the content of the episode? Did it air on Encore Westerns?

Not a big deal for me. The episodes were all nice 35mm transfers and the past two season had a great price point, so I can take one missing episode. $12-$20 a season for quality transfers is a great deal.

Brian
    PS Let see how fast the boycotters show up to say they won't purchase it, because of the omission.

2. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

Terror on the Trinity did air on the Encore Westerns Channel.

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    I am delighted with this. I guess we now know what the hold up was on Season 3. I'm glad they decided to go ahead and release season 3 even if they had to exclude one episode. All of the Ziv releases by TGG have come unexpectly, and I applaud them for their efforts. Hopefully something can be done with Science Fiction Theater. At the very least, maybe they can do an extensive selected episodes release.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    I'm curious about why they couldn't clear the episode but am thrilled S3 is finally going to be released. In no way will that affect my purchase plans. I was at the point I thought we might have yet another unfinished classic B/W program. I'm glad that's not the case!

Ron1973 likes this.
  5. maskedmala

maskedmala Well-Known Member

Maurice
    That's great news. TGG really deliver and at great prices too. I wonder what's the next ZIV they will release. As for me, I'd like to see Boston Blackie

6. FanCollector

FanCollector Well-Known Member

Lee
    Terrific news, and of course 33 episodes are better than no episodes. But I am curious...I watched Terror on the Trinity today and couldn't figure out where the clearance problem would lie. There was some background music played on a piano during the show: The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze (public domain) and a song I didn't recognize. But they were not critical to the plot and could have been replaced with other music if necessary. Other episodes have much more music incorporated into their stories. There were no unusual cameo appearances or product placements (it was a period piece, as always). So does anyone know what other kinds of clearance problems can occur?

7. Gary16

Gary16 Well-Known Member

Possibly something relating to the script and what it was based on?

8. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Well-Known Member

Bob Gudera
    I have not seen the episode. Checking the writing credits could give us a clue. If it's a tune, TGG might not have the technical facilities to cut it, replace it, or edit it out.What's the trinity? A boat?The plot synopsis says Bat is attacked by a big bearded man. IMDB says Paul Bunyan being mentioned in the story is a historical blooper, since Bunyon was created in 1910.It turns out that Paul Bunyon is not a public domain folklore character, but a created character that was later sold to a lumber company as an advertising mascot. Maybe the Paul Bunyon character mention was the clearance issue.

9. FanCollector

Lee
    The Trinity is a river, but most of the action takes place in a house.That's a fascinating piece of trivia about Paul Bunyan. If the character is still under copyright, that might well be the reason.

10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    I don't think copyright prevents making reference to something copyrighted. Now, if the bearded man in the episode could be said to be a representation of Paul Bunyan perhaps, or maybe there was enough of a gray area to make lawyers nervous.

11. FanCollector

Lee
    No, just an analogy.

12. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

Very happy this is on the way. Since this show was a very good recent discovery of mine I can live with one missing episode vs. no Season 3 at all.

13. smithbrad

smithbrad Well-Known Member

Brad
    Especially, since the episode will be so easy to get a hold of, if one is interested. They just started showing Bat again on Encore. I think season 3 should start airing sometime next month.

14. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have the episode from years ago off 16mm but I'll probably pick it up from Encore since it will look a lot nicer.

15. younger1968

younger1968 Well-Known Member

paul young
    How is this show? I am interested in the BAT Masterson. I have been watching Wyatt Earp and Bat shows up in a few episodes!!

16. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    Bat, in his own show, is a much more serious and mature character than how he is portrayed on Wyatt Earp. Also, Gene Barry is a MUCH better actor than the actor who plays Bat on Wyatt Earp.

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

Agree with what Richard said. The vibe I get from Gene Barry is he plays the character as a mix of Maverick and a James Bond type suave, cool secret agent even though the secret agent genre hadn't begun yet. I like the show alot. The transfers are great and the show is fast moving in the 30 minute format.

18. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Well-Known Member

Glen
    Brad, can you please keep us posted when you think the episode is going to air? I don't currently get the Westerns Channel, but I will order it close to the air date for this episode. Thanks. :)

19. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Well-Known Member

I've noticed before that my TIVO/DIRECTV "wish list" will generate "finds" using words from episode titles (beyond just the title of the show itself). I'm not sure if this is true in *all* cases; however, I have set up a "wish list" using the key words "terror on the trinity".

20. smithbrad

smithbrad Well-Known Member

Brad
    Glen, I checked out the Encore schedule that goes out to 11/1. Based on what is schedule to air on that date and where the forementioned episode appears within the shows episode list, i am estimating that it should air on 12/12.