What's new

TGG: Bat Masterson Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator
This will complete the series. Released date is November 5, 2013

Note this from the amazon page:

"PLEASE BE ADVISED: Due to clearance issues, the following episode has been excluded from this season:
Terror on the Trinity"

At least they are being upfront about the issue. Anybody know about the content of the episode? Did it air on Encore Westerns?

Not a big deal for me. The episodes were all nice 35mm transfers and the past two season had a great price point, so I can take one missing episode. $12-$20 a season for quality transfers is a great deal.

Brian
PS Let see how fast the boycotters show up to say they won't purchase it, because of the omission.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Terror on the Trinity did air on the Encore Westerns Channel.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I am delighted with this. I guess we now know what the hold up was on Season 3. I'm glad they decided to go ahead and release season 3 even if they had to exclude one episode. All of the Ziv releases by TGG have come unexpectly, and I applaud them for their efforts. Hopefully something can be done with Science Fiction Theater. At the very least, maybe they can do an extensive selected episodes release.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm curious about why they couldn't clear the episode but am thrilled S3 is finally going to be released. In no way will that affect my purchase plans. I was at the point I thought we might have yet another unfinished classic B/W program. I'm glad that's not the case!

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
That's great news. TGG really deliver and at great prices too. I wonder what's the next ZIV they will release. As for me, I'd like to see Boston Blackie

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Terrific news, and of course 33 episodes are better than no episodes. But I am curious...I watched Terror on the Trinity today and couldn't figure out where the clearance problem would lie. There was some background music played on a piano during the show: The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze (public domain) and a song I didn't recognize. But they were not critical to the plot and could have been replaced with other music if necessary. Other episodes have much more music incorporated into their stories. There were no unusual cameo appearances or product placements (it was a period piece, as always). So does anyone know what other kinds of clearance problems can occur?

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
FanCollector said:
Terrific news, and of course 33 episodes are better than no episodes. But I am curious...I watched Terror on the Trinity today and couldn't figure out where the clearance problem would lie. There was some background music played on a piano during the show: The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze (public domain) and a song I didn't recognize. But they were not critical to the plot and could have been replaced with other music if necessary. Other episodes have much more music incorporated into their stories. There were no unusual cameo appearances or product placements (it was a period piece, as always). So does anyone know what other kinds of clearance problems can occur?
Possibly something relating to the script and what it was based on?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I have not seen the episode. Checking the writing credits could give us a clue. If it's a tune, TGG might not have the technical facilities to cut it, replace it, or edit it out.What's the trinity? A boat?The plot synopsis says Bat is attacked by a big bearded man. IMDB says Paul Bunyan being mentioned in the story is a historical blooper, since Bunyon was created in 1910.It turns out that Paul Bunyon is not a public domain folklore character, but a created character that was later sold to a lumber company as an advertising mascot. Maybe the Paul Bunyon character mention was the clearance issue.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Trinity is a river, but most of the action takes place in a house.That's a fascinating piece of trivia about Paul Bunyan. If the character is still under copyright, that might well be the reason.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
FanCollector said:
The Trinity is a river, but most of the action takes place in a house.That's a fascinating piece of trivia about Paul Bunyan. If the character is still under copyright, that might well be the reason.
I don't think copyright prevents making reference to something copyrighted. Now, if the bearded man in the episode could be said to be a representation of Paul Bunyan perhaps, or maybe there was enough of a gray area to make lawyers nervous.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Very happy this is on the way. Since this show was a very good recent discovery of mine I can live with one missing episode vs. no Season 3 at all.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Randy Korstick said:
Very happy this is on the way. Since this show was a very good recent discovery of mine I can live with one missing episode vs. no Season 3 at all.
Especially, since the episode will be so easy to get a hold of, if one is interested. They just started showing Bat again on Encore. I think season 3 should start airing sometime next month.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
Especially, since the episode will be so easy to get a hold of, if one is interested. They just started showing Bat again on Encore. I think season 3 should start airing sometime next month.
Exactly. I have the episode from years ago off 16mm but I'll probably pick it up from Encore since it will look a lot nicer.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
How is this show? I am interested in the BAT Masterson. I have been watching Wyatt Earp and Bat shows up in a few episodes!!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
younger1968 said:
How is this show? I am interested in the BAT Masterson. I have been watching Wyatt Earp and Bat shows up in a few episodes!!
Bat, in his own show, is a much more serious and mature character than how he is portrayed on Wyatt Earp. Also, Gene Barry is a MUCH better actor than the actor who plays Bat on Wyatt Earp.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Agree with what Richard said. The vibe I get from Gene Barry is he plays the character as a mix of Maverick and a James Bond type suave, cool secret agent even though the secret agent genre hadn't begun yet. I like the show alot. The transfers are great and the show is fast moving in the 30 minute format.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
smithbrad said:
Brad, can you please keep us posted when you think the episode is going to air? I don't currently get the Westerns Channel, but I will order it close to the air date for this episode. Thanks. :)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I've noticed before that my TIVO/DIRECTV "wish list" will generate "finds" using words from episode titles (beyond just the title of the show itself). I'm not sure if this is true in *all* cases; however, I have set up a "wish list" using the key words "terror on the trinity".

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Professor Echo said:
Brad, can you please keep us posted when you think the episode is going to air? I don't currently get the Westerns Channel, but I will order it close to the air date for this episode. Thanks. :)
Glen, I checked out the Encore schedule that goes out to 11/1. Based on what is schedule to air on that date and where the forementioned episode appears within the shows episode list, i am estimating that it should air on 12/12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks