What's new

SVS B4+ vs SBS PB2+ (1 Viewer)

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
While comparing these two subs, a few things stand out for me right off the bat:

1. B4+ is twice the price of the PB2+
2. B4+ uses four 25-31 PC+ speakers which individually are 25Hz low, whereas the PB2+ goes as low as 16Hz.

So my question is, how do they rate the B4+ to be under 20Hz when the component speakers themselves are 25Hz?

Obviously because of the # of speakers, the B4+ would pot out way more power than the PB2+ but it seems like the lows would not be as low as the PB2+. Am I incorrect here?

But for twice the price of the B4+, wouldn't two PB2+ speakers put out more power and go lower than the lows of the B4+?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Does the low end frequency really matter or is the total RMS power more important? I know that the human ear cannot hear under 20Hz... but you would "feel" it - so I thought that the lower that the lows can get would mean that you are getting a better sub. The power output would depend on the amp, more than the speaker itself. Do I have an o-k understanding of this here?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

No not really.

The B4+ and PB2+ use the "Plus" driver, which isn't a "25hz" driver. The cabinet itself is tuned to 25hz. AFAIK all of the boxes are tuned to 25hz- which you can plug lower, and the cylinders are available in 16, 20 and the 25hz versions (you can also plug these lower)

Both boxes can be tuned lower- two plugs are supplied, however owning a 20hz cylinder "plus" model I would only use one plug, as I've found port noise is a bit noticeable when two plugs are used.

The PB2+ is a active design- the B4+ is not. Don't forget to add a Crown K1 or K2 to the B4+

You're correct in the area that 20hz is inaudible, however just because a sub goes lower does not mean it's a better sub. For example, for people who are on a budget and want a single sub, in a largish room with high SPL output a 25-31 PCi would be a better choice than a 16-46 PCi, as the 25hz model can go several dB louder. Whether or not someone would be close to the 16hz model(or even the 20hz model) limits that's another matter and depending on several factors.

You're also confusing "power" with "sound pressure levels" they don't mean the same thing. The B4 reaches (according to the manual) around 130dB @ 25Hz, Single sub at 1m. Corner-loaded in a typical room,

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
Since I posted this thread, I read about a dozen other long threads on the differences between SVS's db12 and tv12 driers.

Seems like you can't beat the bang for the buck of the PB2+ (as opposed to the PB2-Ultra). The B4+ would be useful for a very large area, but might not realize its full potential in the area that I would use it in - correct me if I'm wrong.

The room that this is going in is approximately 14' x 12' x 14' (2400 - 2700 cu. ft.) It is an open area that opens up over a stairway which is why I give it an upper range of 2700 cu. ft. I think that the PB2+ would be more than suit my needs and I wouldn't even feel the difference if I used a PB2-Ultra or B4+.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW as for my taste, I do love my bass... the kind that would give my guests a heart attack (I used to have 2 15" aluminum cone subs in my car for a couple of years, until a couple of years ago) - over 1000W RMS in an automobile trunk! :D

Thanks for all the clarification.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Tne difference between car subs and true sub-sonic subwoofers cannot be stressed enough. Car subs are aimed at 40-60hz "boom" and not 20hz and below.

You have a quite large room. I would think dual 20-39 PC Plus cylinders (if you want lower end without plugging) or a single PB2+x

Email SVS and they will reply quickly with suitable sub(s)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
One guy here has marked good response down to 8 Hz with the B4+...it has 4 ports and port plugs for customizing the Hz level...This thing lights up my 4500 CF room like no tomorrow...simply put, with its looks and power it'll be the last sub I buy for a long time...SVS kicks. FWIW, in my room, I cannot play much at reference because things tend to fall off the walls:) Beautiful cabinet so it blends well in my room...hence me purchasing it. tom

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful cabinet so it blends well in my room
__________________________________________________ ______

Just think how nice it will look with your new Dali speakers that are on the way Tommy.:cool:

ScottCarr

Second Unit
The PC Ultra cranked out 81 db at 11hz all ports open and subsonic set to 16hz. this is a config not recommended by SVS. this was solely done as a just see test.

11hz 81db
16hz 90bd
20hz to 95hz 84 to 89db

all values have the correction applied.

so as you can see these subs go very low.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I too have a fairly large room the main problem was the high vaults and opening into another room. I like my bass. Have had several others, my last being two of the largest NHT's before I found out about SVS. Once the announced the PB2+ I had to have one and try it. Thinking I could always buy another if needed. Have had it for 6 months now an it does everthing I want a sub to do. I cannot speak highly enough about this sub and for less than 1/2 what I had paid for my Dual NHT's several years ago. It is a big beast but if you have a large room not a biggie. Put a doilie and a plant (with some earthquake tacky) on the bottom to keep it from slipping off and your cool. Some times I wish I would have waited for a nice wood colored cabinet but with stuff on and around it, the black kind of hides itself. I have heard that others have placed it behind their couch as well and still get great response.

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike and everyone else for the responses. Mike, your room sounds a lot like mine. The PB2+ looks like it will do the job for me too.

I looked at the PB2-Ultra because of the ability to get a pretty wood box for it, to match floors/furniture but for double the price, I think I can do without that. If I understand correctly, the upgraded driver of the PB2-Ultra will only be noticeable (vs a PB2+) if the user cranks the sub for higher dB at lower freq. The gf is not a huge bass-head like I am, so most of the time it will be on moderate-high volume, so I assume that I'd be more than happy with a PB2+ and wouldn't even notice a PB2-Ultra with that kind of an application.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
That is my assumption but I am no expert. Call Ron at SVS and he will tell you the abosolute truth and will not oversell you. I faxed my room info to him to look at and he actually tried to help me get better response from my NHT's which just didn't cut it. For a company to take the time to help a customer with a different brand meant alot to me. He is a great guy to talk to as well... Good Luck

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Anish:

I cannot stress enough that you give Ron or Tom an email at SVS. They will give you the best option for your room and don't worry they won't sell you something that you don't need.

The only thing that outshines their products is their customer service.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks