1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Superman Rebooted

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If they are going in a different direction, different trilogy of films, I'm leaning towards going away from Routh, but it's still going to be a challenge to find the right guy who not only looks like Superman and Clark Kent (and mannerisms), but also can truly act, without the director shooting around the actor's acting deficiencies, which I think Routh was coddled a bit, forcing Singer to shoot scenes in ways that didn't highlight Routh's acting shortcomings.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    If the goal is to make a clean break, they can't use Routh. The major part of the audience won't know that every thing else has changed. They'll just say, "It's the same guy as last time" and stay away if they didn't like Returns.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the extent to which everything else has changed. If the cast around Routh is different, if the Superman costume is slightly different, if the photography is truly technicolor instead of that muted noir look, etc. etc. then I think people would be able to tell.

4. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

I disagree. Most people aren't like us who keep up with it. As soon as they see Routh they will think its the same. In the Batman: Dark Knight Bats has a new suit. But, we still know its a sequel.

5. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

Maybe for the first film they won't let the audience know which character (in normal clothes) is Superman.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. All of the promotion for TDK was geared towards showcasing that it was the follow-up to the highly-regarded BB. The old suit was used in the trailers as much as the new one was. With the exception of Katie Holmes the entire supporting cast was carried over. Everything about TDK linked it to BB.

I doubt most people put that much thought into it, anyway. They see a trailer and say, "Hey, a new Superman movie!" and think it looks good or not by what they see. And a portion of those turned off by SR will avoid the next movie regardless of whether it's a reboot or not.

7. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

I am not saying I want O'Hearn for Supes. But, I have to hand it to that Collora guy. For a 2 minute fake trailer he crammed a lot of scenes, props and cast into it. For example the scene at the cocktail party. You have dozens of people in formal attire with all of the other setups for what is maybe 15 seconds of actual footage. Besides, my son loves to watch it.

YouTube - World's Finest

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Well, the American Gladiators are branching out, so maybe they'll pick him. Toa was in the Dollhouse premiere.

9. TerryRL

TerryRL Well-Known Member

Rumor Killer: The Wachowski Brothers NOT Offered Superman Reboot | /Film

Rumor Killer: The Wachowski Brothers NOT Offered Superman Reboot
    Posted on Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 at 5:49 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Remember that report that showed up on AICN last week claiming that The Wachowski Brothers had been offered a reboot of Superman? Sorry to get you guys all excited but I have just gotten confirmation from two independent sources that the report was completely false. I don’t know if an interview with James McTeigue actually aired on RTL1 or not (I’m guessing not) but The Wachowski Brothers have definitely never had any talks with DC or Warner Bros to helm a Superman film. This is confirmed.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    So how about letting Singer and Routh continue the series?

That's still the best idea I've heard.

11. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

Why not give Bruce Timm a go at the script and possibly directing? He is the one who created the Batman, Superman & Justice League animated series.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate

For that matter, bring Paul Dini in to write. He and Timm should have been given a crack at this more than 10 years ago.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member