What's new

Stopping DVD purchases or upgrading dvd library to High Def. (1 Viewer)

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I think it was the Jan/Feb issue of DVD Ect. magazine where the publisher lamented that people were blowing their budgets on big Plasma screens and only had $600 left over to buy a HTIB which was a cryng shame because "in his view" the proper audio created the atmosphere of the film.
Maybee thats why cds of film scores are so popular.

From a dvd software standpoint discrete channels stop at 6.1 and even the discret 6th channel is only available from DTS.

The number size a n quality of speakers (aside from designated funds for your HT) are really dictated by what you want to accomplish.
I run 9 speakers. A set of 5 timbre matched Totem Model 1s for mltich HIREZ music from a 7 disc jvc dvd-a and a 5 disc Sony sacd connected to the 2 sets of anaogs on my Denon 5800/03. For anything video I add on a pair of Dipole Axiom qs4's futher up in the room and for the specific effects channel a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze booksheves directly above and behind the listening position.
If I were watching a football game that wasen't in DD 5.1 and decided to just go stereo, the face of my reciever with all speakers incurred would go 7ch stereo.

For HIREZ music I set the Denon to Pure Direct which turns off all video processes in the reciver. For any DVD-a that doesen't directly go to mltich hitting enter 3 times does that without need of the screen but most go there automatically.

My room is relatively small 15 x 12 x 8 so aside from the stand mounted L/R with the center on top and in the middle of the rptv with rubber door stoppers aiming it at the earlevel of the seating area. Surrounds A an B are wall mounted with the Totems behind the listening area aiming down. The effects pair are on the shelf of a double walkin closet (with the doors remooved) and also tilted with rubber door stoppers.

When I had my 5800 upgraded to 95% of 5803 status I talked the Canadian Denon tech into coming over and setting up everything for distance and spl's which was an excellent tradeoff for his interest in getting a HDready tv and seeing what a scaled dvd looked like.

My Isf'r is from Calgary and stays with me occaisionally when doing his twice yearly Totonto calibration tour (I'm amazed that he has about 40 sets todo each visit so someone in toronto is really missing the boat) so I get my HD cable input re-calibrated as they upgrade their equipment which is now the SA8300 hd decoder, 90gig hdpvr.

So unless something breaks, I'm just waiting for the price of dvds I don't already own to drop to $3.00 when HD-DVD comes out.

Peter m.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

... it comes across that you're not into the home theatre experience. Movies/DVDs are both a visual and audio medium and I don't see any reason that one of your primary senses should take a "back seat" to another.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I am beginning to wonder if some people on this website are millionaires, they seem to be willing to buy a HD-DVD player right away along with as many titles as they possibly can ;)

I am more than happy with DVD and I have no desire to start over on my collection of 350+ just to get a supposedly "high definition" picture. As for HD Cable, well, I don't watch TV so I wouldn't know, but perhaps i'll check it out soon, cuz I got an HDTV for christmas, and there are like 3 HD channels listed (but I am not yet a subscriber to them).

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Warren,
I echo your sentiments completely regarding tv HD or otherwise, there's so much garbage there ought to be a law.
There isn't but if your lucky (if not now but very soon) when you make the "Hotel California" HD TV trip, make sure you spend the extra (mine from Rogers cable in Toronto can be rented) and get the HD decoder/HDpvr. Thats the point "where you can checkout any time you like but you can never leave."

It allows you to record and watch only what you want when you want and the FF sceams through the commercials.
PBS Discovery HD, uninterrupted movies (not from pay-per-view) but the movie channel as part of you package with time shifting giving you both coasts so you can record late at night while you sleep.

The only price I have to pay in the WAF (and its a big one) is I have to watch that non reality "Survivor" and the "I love me, who do youi love, ME TOO? Apprentice live because it the discussion topic at lunch where my darling wife works. But HEY, she gave up the Master Bedroom in our condo so I could have my Media room. I hope you agree it's a small price for me to pay.

Warren, it doesn't matter if your not a horseracing fan, Just wait till you see "The Triple Crown in HD", your heart will be in your throat.

They are also adding new stuff every day. As a Canadian, (but not a huge hockey fan) my friends who have season tickets say watching a game in HD is lke having Platinum seats.

I can't remember who I'm stealing this quote from but it says "A HD picture is like real life, but with better resolution."

One last thing I'm begging you, please find (by word of mouth refferal) the best available ISF calibrator you can and have your set done including (if it's an RPTV and you don't have small childeren or pets that can scatch the screen) having the reflective protective screen reversed with the matte one on the outside. Even if the cost is an extra $400, but it's probably lower, and just average it over the fifteen years you'll have it. The difference it will make is mind boggeling. Have one input calibrated for you specific cable/sat decoder/pvr and another calibrated for the specific dvd player you going to use.

Your friends who haven't done it will invariably say, I should have bought a (whatever brand you get) it makes that much of a difference when you get the right person.

Anyway, enjoy,
Peter m.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

Could someone please tell me what resolution Cable HD is broadcast in in north America ? I've heard that various companies have expanded the definition of HD to include lower resolutions which use up less bandwidth . Any truth in that rumour ?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I see we are crossing wires here! (back at you!) :)

I had my 1st 5.1 in 1999, but don't mix up audio CD's with movies. The subject was SACD and I still don't want to stand in the center of the stage to get sound all around me.

That's what made ANH so laughable. You don't cross the sountrack on the rears. They have to stay - right on the right, and left on the left, in front of you. 6-channel SACD is somewhat the same. Although six mikes could be set up - one for each channel (I'm keeping it simple here, folks), you still are not supposed to hear any part of a band behind you.

But back to HD. I just glanced at the titles coming out, and noticed the first 3 Potter films. Did they forget that by this November the next episode will be out? I'll bet you that they are already cranking these out, and just hanging onto them until the time is right. The bad news is that this will probably mean fewer regular DVD titles coming out this year, and I'd hate to see the size of the hit studios will take when they find out that the format they have chosen loses.

As for the $1000.00 players - can someone tell me why they should be priced that high? They can use the same case, and most of the same parts. If we took out the regular DVD laser out of a $39.00 player, will the HD cost $961.00?

Glenn

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
Really when you ask yourself, and your friends exactly when they felt HD-DVD,Blu-ray would in someway be available with titles in your home, the general census seemed to be 5-6 years away depending exactly when you might of first questioned that thought. Talking with another friend we both find it pretty funny that honestly we are only 6-8 months to atleast seeing actually units being reported being used, at what price is still yet to be scene, but I have to say that how fast things are shaping up, and honestly while I'm sure we'd love one format that having two actually can help get us to atleast get one unit out quickly , and for everyone to enjoy.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Probably for fear of his comment being lost in all the Disney bitching.

Yeah, I agree. I was not expecting it this soon. However, I think I was thinking 5-7 years around 2001. That puts it about right for me.

However, I doubt I will see units locally for another 12-15 months. I wonder if they are going to release this regionally. Remember when DVD was only available in a few test markets? Will be interesting to see.

C. Ryan

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
HD-DVD will be out this year, but I wouldn't start looking for it to be a force in the marketplace. SD-DVD is not going anywhere for a good long while. It will be a few years yet before HD-DVD even approaches the sales figures of DVD in 1998, let alone the numbers of today.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with what Ernest said. I've noticed a little panic in some of the threads that studios are going to suddenly ignore standard DVD and re-releases it badly needs with many titles. Well, there is still plenty of milking to do with standard DVD.

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
I think studios are pushing very hard on a new format, mainly because it will offer better protection against copies; somewhere i read it's a big problem in latin america and Asia ...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
HD-DVD will probably be as succesfully as SACD for a few years. Don't people need new high definition tvs for HD-DVD? So people will need a few years to save up enough money to buy such sets.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
HD-DVD will be out by end of year, according to manufacturers. However, many factors will affect my purchase of HD-DVD.

1. I want to wait out the format war. I'm not rich enough to buy Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. There WILL be a winner, the general public (not us, I'm talking J6P) will not endure a format war.

2. Outputs: will it require DVI or HDMI or IEEE1394 or some other new output? If so, I'm not rich enough to upgrade my HDTV which only has 2 component inputs.2

3. Cost. Since I'm saving for a lot of other things, I won't be able to pay the initial $500-$1000 (or more!) cost of players [if 1st gen DVD players are an indicator]. I have to wait until it's around the $200 mark or lower.

So even though HD-DVD is not "5 years away" the reality is it may be several years before I buy it, and I'm what society at large would call an early adopter (I bought my DVD player in May of 1997, L.A. was a test city). If I'm looking at 3 years to buy into it, the general populace is probably a year or so behind that.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I find this whole HDMI thing unbelievable. at least HALF of people who have HDTVs have component only. and even if it was only 25% (which it isn't) we are talking about early adopters who paid from $3000 to $10 000 for their set and now are told: Sorry, your TV can take an HD signal over component but the new players will only output HD over HDMI so too bad for you.

WOW.

ANd there is no bigger out cry? People are just taking this lying down? I sold my component only $10K HDTV and I am still upset. If that was still my only TV I would be downright P.O.ed!!!

AM I missing something? Was it announced they changed their minds will not leave out half the HDTV owners out to dry. Ironically these are the same early adopters expected to rush over to buy the first Blu-Ray and HD-DVD machines.

just a thought...

Tim BBB

Auditioning
With HD-DVD & Blu-Ray both starting to make some noise with their products for the 2005 year, what does every body think about upgrading their collection from the standard format to High Definition.

Do you think it will be worth it to upgrade older movies to High Definition? For example, a movie like The Graduate or Mary Poppins... is it really going to be worth having it in high definition when the original film footage is so old? I know movies like Star Wars (especially digitally shot Episode II) will be worth it to upgrade, because there is the chance to see a higher quality picture in the long run.

Basically, what is going to be your policy in upgrading your collection in the future? Will it just be your favorites? You will only buy future titles in High Def? You will upgrade everything?

Personally, I think I am leaning towards upgrading a few select titles, and then buying all the new DVD's in High Def...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks