What's new

Stocking up on Horror Movies (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Neat! You really like "An Evening" that much? I can't wait to watch it.

My list would be like this:

1. The Raven
2. Comedy of Terrors
3. House of Wax
4. Edward Scissorhands
5. Last Man on Earth
6. Witchfinder General
...all of those should probably be tied at #1. Hee!

so many others. I don't think I've seen a bad one with him.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

Your mention of Elvira reminds me of a wonderful ditty that used to be on television in the early 1970s--Simon's Sanctorum. Do you remember that? It was a lot of fun watching his show. He would feature many wonderful films (including a ton of B-flicks) on the weekends. I also remember Creature Feature, which eventually morphed into Creature Double Feature. I believe one of those shows used some of the music of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer as one of its theme songs (I think it was Karn Evil 9, but I'm not exactly certain of that, as it has been almost thirty-five years since I have seen either of those shows).

Simon was played by Gary Newton:

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Actually that list was in no particular order.... Just typed them out as I saw them on my list. :P To be honest I can't remember if I watched my copy of An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe yet.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Im very excited about that Tomb of Ligeia/An Evening with Edgar allen Poe. I think a nice October saturday morning will be perfect for An Evening...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Creature From the Black Lagoon, in my opinion, stands up very well as far as the creep factor is concerned. It's been years since I've seen Revenge Of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us, but that first film still sends chills up my spine when I see it. I'm thinking it has mostly to do with a wonderful make-up job on the creature, the music during its appearances (quite different than when it is off screen), and the factor of that which is unknown--like when you know something is moving in the deep, dark, and murky waters, but you can't really see it.

An Evening with Edgar allen Poe sounds very interesting. I'm off to Amazon.com to look for it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The Skull is, IMO, a minor classic. Amicus' finest hour! Really creepy and well acted/directed. The new DVD is very nice, too.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Radioman970 wrote (post #41):

Memorable muffled words out of a faceless mouth [sic]: "Maybe . . . youuuu . . . could . . . stiiiilllll . . . loooove me." (from "The Shadmock")

That episode of the film definitely did not belong as a "Movie Mac biggie" (or in the rest of the campy surroundings of that film either, for that matter).

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I been going over Amazon this morning... getting an idea of what new horror movies I should buy when I get paid again (Oct. 3rd). I came up with a list. This list can easily change if say something goes out of stock... something better comes up on sale... someone here is able to change my mind for one reason or another. :P Anyway... here is what I am considering at this point... with my reasoning behind the choices...
  1. Alien vs. Preditor: Requiem - To be honest I never even seen the trailer for this one yet... but I did enjoy the first one so willing to give it a go.
  2. Halloween III: Season of the Witch - I could hear you all moaning as I typed this one... I know this has nothing to do with the other Halloween movies. But I have seen this one... and apart from the title I kinda enjoyed the actual story. I really think more people would have enjoyed this movie if it was called something else.
  3. The Mist - I have really enjoyed most of the movies based on King's work... so I am really looking forward to checking this one out.
  4. The Amityville Horror: Dollhouse - I remember seeing this one many years ago... we are talking VHS days here... and even though I barely remember the actual story... I do believe I remember enjoying this one.
  5. The Curse of Lizzie Borden - OK... This one is one that isn't really up for debate (unfortunately!) I made a deal with a friend on another forum... if I buy and watch his worst horror movie experience (as in absolutely terrible movie).. he will buy and watch mine. And this is his. I know... it sounds like a completely idiotic deal... but I gave my word. Besides... it means he is buying and watching The Sorority. :laugh:
  6. Diary of the Dead - Romero Zombie Movie... no more needs to be said in my opinion.
  7. 100 Years of Horror: Complete Collection - 5 Disc set Documentary on Horror hosted by Christopher Lee... Sounds like fun and possibly a great way to learn of other horror movies to add to my collection.
  8. Lost Boys: The Tribe - The first Lost Boys is one of my favorite vampire movies... yeah I heard this one doesn't do it justice... but I just have that feeling that I need to see it for myself.
Anyway... that is what I was thinking for my next order. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Lizzie Bordon!! :laugh: That is the most awesomely cool thing I've heard in a while. Great idea. I've never seen that or Sorority, but maybe you got the worst end of this deal?

Halloween III is slightly underrated. I think it's pretty good. The trailer scared me when I saw it before some film. Also, the similar "The Stuff" is a lot of fun too.

I've avoid the AvP flicks even though I have a desire to see them. Word of mouth has not been good for either.

For some reason I'm turned off by The Mist. I read the story and listened to the audio play, so I guess I just feel I have it all covered. The movie looks okay though.

I bought the amityville remake and I'm really looking forward to it. The original version is among the film I feel was much much MUCH better when I was a kid. The pig in the window thing haunted me for years. Holy hell, that was scary. But as an adult it was sort of funny instead. I don't remember liking any of the original sequels for this.

I've heard The Tribe is awful. Also, Dairy of the Dead I heard isn't very good...I didn't care for Land of the Dead, but need to see it again. I agree...judge for yourself!

That documentary sounds fantastic. I have Terror in the Aisles, which is basically a horror movie clip show featuring the most exciting moments from the genre up to the early 80s. Hosted by Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen. No DVD yet. But you can buy it on VHS. It's really really fun! But it does give away the most exciting parts (i.e., Psycho "shower scene", 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers "classic final shot", The Shining "Here's Johnny", etc). But still, it's a damn fun time. I plan to watch it before next month.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
:laugh: Lets hope I didn't get the worst end of that Lizzie Borden/The Sorority deal! Here get an idea for yourself... here is the trailer for The Sorority!..

YouTube - THE SORORITY TRAILER

I really enjoyed the Amityville remake. Of course I still enjoy the original as well. I have a soft spot for the Amittyville movies... some reason even though the later ones are not that good... for some reason I like to watch them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That trailer was hysterical! You were REALLY rough on each other. Although the trailer for LIzzie looks to indicate some nudity! "Okay...okay...you win! You win! You're Lizzie Borden! Now put down the ax..." :laugh: Now Sorority looks to have a very nice paddling scene! Woo hoot! Interesting that one has a mostly white cast the other black. You got salt, he got pepper!

I love the house they use for the Amityville flicks. Omen is the one that really held up. I used to compare those 2 for some reason.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if Halloween III was just called Season Of The Witch, it probabaly would already have a remake since it's a John Carpenter production from the late 1970's/early 1980's.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
OK... Need the thoughts of you Classic horror fans! I good friend of mine just let me know he sent me some DVDs in the mail. He is one of the ones that got me into giving classics a chance... so he likes to send me classics now and again... well one of the ones he sent me this time is a classic horror that I know little to nothing about...

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/0d/htf_imgcache_34671.jpeg] [/url]
The Golem

Pretty much all I know is it is a classic Silent Horror from Germany that they say inspired Frankenstein.

So... Thoughts?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I liked it. not as stylish as other German horror like "NOSFERATU", but it does the trick.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
-Halloween III Absolutely nothing wrong with this movie. Great soundtrack, eerie(and cheesy) film. Got a bad rep because no Michael, but worlds better than 4, and 5.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks