What's new

Sticker on "Children of Men" HD DVD COMBO ruined my case! (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI Alert:

Don't know if it bothers you when the packaging ruins the looks of the case that stores a disc, but it sure bothers me!:rolleyes

When I opened the "Children of Men" HD DVD COMBO FORMAT case, the sticker tape on the top, pulled off the white lettering on both sides of the front title!:angry:

This is the same top-sticker that has a cut out section, so it doesn't touch the front white lettering of regular HD DVD cases.

The sticker pulled off the HD DVD logo on the left side and the DVD logo on the right and part of the C in COMBO FORMAT, which left "OMBO FOR" where the cut out part without stickum doesn't touch.:angry::angry:

Anyone else have this happen?

If they have to put a sticker on the top, they could have used the one that goes on the COMBO FORMAT case, NOT one that's used on the regular HD DVD Case.:confused:

Paul

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This has been a pet peeve with me for years. I would love to have an hour alone with the jerk that designed the security stickers placed on dvd cases. I had high hopes that those stickers would not follow the new HD formats cases, but no such luck.

They catch the cover art and rip pieces off, and if you buy a disk that has been on the shelve for a few weeks, they tend to leave a gummy residue on the plastic. All this money spent on these new formats and the studios couldn't invest a few dollars in designing security for the cases.....

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sorry Paul. :frowning:...got mine today from amazon and had no issue at all. Opened it up and all good.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
This has been an issue with DVD for a loooong time. There are certainly copies out there where the paper insert is not completely obscured by the outer plastic and the security sticker is on the paper. When I used to buy at a brick and mortar store, I'd always check to make sure the sticker wasn't touching the paper and keep looking until I found a good one. There have actually been times where there WASN'T a good one... but, sometimes the sticker doesn't tear the paper for some reason.

I've got a bunch of Blu-Ray discs that have the sticky residue left behind and I have to pull the cases apart when removing them from my shelf.

Heck, I got burned when I had a DVD with that sticky residue next to another DVD with an outer cardboard sleeve. They ended up sticking together and when I pulled them apart, it took some of the cardboard sleeve artwork with it.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I haaaaaaaaaaate these USELESS "security" stickers. They serve no purpose other than to tick off the people who buy the discs and have to deal with the time to take them off (specifically the 3 sticker action which is not much but it still is time wasted) and the residue sometimes left. I fail to see why they have to be sooooooooo sticky at times.

If I am someone looking to steal a disc at a store it would take 3 seconds to cut the sticker and take the disc.

Chalk this up as another utterly useless design that companies do simply to piss off PAYING customers and then try and blame thieves for its existence.

I also wish there could be a way to have the discs that go to online stores not have these useless things.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

Yup, same thing happened to my case, Paul. (Well, actually it took off even more letters than that.) :thumbsdown:

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
This is a big pet peeve of mine. I am extremely careful pulling those off now so I do less damage than needed. But why on earth would they need 3 of them!

If you try to peel them off by scraping at the corner, the tough ones to get will eventually have you dig into the plastic causing it to bunch up on one corner looking as if you bought a previously viewed version from Blockbuster all haggard and everything.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Chalk it up to purported theft prevention and the North American retailer obsession with having all product shrink-wrapped as proof that the product is "new" and untampered-with. Why retailers can't follow the packaging model in Europe is beyond me.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
What is the packing method in Europe? Nothing struck me as odd when I went to a record store in Athens, Greece.

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
The sticker on my copy did the exact same thing. I didn't like what was left, so I used my thumbnail and got the remaining pieces of lettering off. (Which was far easier than I expected.)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although one of those "alarming" devices may be present in some shops, many have the CDs and DVDs in a central place (in a sealed envelope, which is supposed to be shown to the customer before it's opened to insert the disc(s) into the case), while the cases on display are empty.

(BTW this did result in empty CD cases being stolen in a period when people copied and downloaded a lot. So now even the empty cases may hold one of those devices - and hence the disc can be present in it again too. Complicated, eh? :) )

Cees

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yup....mine did the exact same thing. Drag. Oh well. Since there's little chance I'm ever going to be getting rid of this awesome disc, I can live with it. Definitely irritating, though.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Happend to me, and then I understood! lol, so good shepherd was carefully removed.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is very much akin to the semi-hard plastic packaging that requires a chainsaw to remove.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Yup, same thing happened to me. Either there is goo left behind by the crappy security stickers or takes off lettering or a piece of cover art.

Bravo to the packaging manufacturers who don't test their products before putting them out to market and let US get screwed over it with it *slow clap*

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Since years, I remove the goo residue with the sticker itself ("picking" it up, so to say). Works like a charm for most of it, but takes some time.

Mine went off without a problem this time, but I also doubt if those letters were printed good enough on the cases where it came off, or had "dried" enough.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks