What's new

Stargate: Atlantis Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I'm late to the party here but I have been watching the episodes. So was the reason for cancelling Atlantis the ratings?

The last episode was OK. It was refreshing seeing different people other than the main cast. The women team was very capable.

Haven't read about Stargate: Universe but I will as soon as I get a chance.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
andres,

read/listen to this interview:
GateWorld - Interviews: All Good Things ... (Brad Wright - August 2008)

also universe doesn't have a lot of info right now, but i have a feeling that the creative minds want it to be better quality in writing, acting and so on than just a rollicking adventure romp again. i think they want to aim for the stars next time with lost-quality drama =). that's my feelings on it.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
There's another new episode tomorrow night, woo-hoo!!

The episode is titled "Tracker", and the MGM Stargate site has put up a short preview for it here.

Hopefully it'll be a good one! I love Friday nights!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

-Valerie

An official stargate special ops member

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

The big question is, are they hiring new creative people, or are they sticking with the same staff? If the latter, then that hope will be unrealized, I'm afraid. If they couldn't raise the quality on Atlantis, how could anyone expect the quality to be any higher on a new show?

And, from what I read, action is still the main focus. So, those hoping for BSG-style drama (which I'm not) would be, again, disappointed.

I think they need to add some new writers, and have them watch the first 5 seasons of SG-1. There was a nice balance of action and drama in those seasons - the Gou'ld was a tough enemy; SG-1 couldn't just expect to go in head-to-head and win, and there were some tough decisions to make, and others to argue about them, and with a nice mythos to add flavor to the story.

I didn't get to see The Queen (weather blocked out sat.) so I'll be watching that and Tracker tonight - so a nice double-feature to look forward to!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
any1 watch the very latest ep? we finally see kelly's flirting being addressed head-on. we also see some more ronin's character development =P.

just like many series that we know is ending, i feel like they aren't addressing a lot of the plots that have been hanging loose, like FORD for example or michael. i know that's the way they want it (the execs producers Q&A already answered that). but still it irks me that some of those loose threads will continue to just linger and linger and linger.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I think the big thing is that most of the episodes for the season were shot before the announcement came out. They started filming in what? Feb. March? And it was a month ago that they received word? So, it's hard to close up a bunch of loose ends at this late stage.

I watched The Queen before Tracker on Friday (and still missed the first couple of minutes due to the receiver being off) and I gotta say, other than Rodney and Sheppard, 'Todd' is the best, and most well-defined, character on SGA. I love it when I know he's going to be on, because he always seems to get the best of Atlantis - and again, now, he's in an even stronger position, thanks to them. But, I do think Teyla issued a very real threat to him, in response.

Tracker wasn't too bad, and I think the Ronan/Rodney 'intentions' could be a nice subplot, but how much, we'll see.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Indeed. I believe the series has actually wrapped already, so the scripts were almost certainly close to being finished already when the cancellation happened.

Arild

Supporting Actor
No reactions to the latest episode? The best in a LONG time in my opinion. I could barely even believe I was watching Atlantis.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it was pretty good. So are those "Halo" looking aliens part of the ancients? The technology they had to infiltrate Atlantis was very cool. And even better was the weapon to destroy the Wraith.

It was also nice to see the interactions between Daniel Jackson and McKay.

So is the next episode coming up the series finale or is there a 2nd half of the season next winter? I lost count of how many episodes we've had this season.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

There's a second half - the second part is in a couple of weeks. I think they're forgoing the several months' break and finishing up early - probably to make way for BSG.

And I thought it was a pretty good episode - liked the Jackson-McKay team-up. A bit surprised Daniel didn't mention Sam when they were sparring about credit.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
atlantis is starting to recycle a lot of SG-1 (even before cancellation notice). i mean they brought back replicators big time, which kind of spoiled it for me. the new halo-race reminds me of the super-soldiers that anubis created from SG-1. either way they have NIFTY TOYS!!!! =D. i luv the personal shield that can hold its own against bullets.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Why don't we wait and see before we declare it "makes no sense", hmm? We don't know anything - anything - about the how's and why's just yet.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

No, it makes no sense because of what we know about the race doesn't jive with the reveal. Now, once we see the episode, and if they explain, then we can move on to whether it's good or bad storytelling.

It mainly comes down to this - McKay told Daniel all he had to do was turn it on. The "Halo"s, given what we know, should have been able to start it, even if the Ancient's gene was required. Now, I think I've proposed a logical, if stretched, explanation. If it's for another reason, the writers better have thought it completely out because on first glance, it makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks