What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Let's get one thing straight: E.T.'s in the senate chamber good. N'Sync in Episode II BAD. If this happens, even if they die, Star Wars is dead. That's it, it's done. I'll still go see the movie, but Star Wars will be dead.

-Tom

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Was The Simpsons ruined when Britney Spears made a guest appearance? No, it's still widely regarded as the best animated sitcom ever. Was Mullholland Drive's greatness diminished because Billy Ray Cyrus was in it? (Remember Achey Breaky Heart? YEECH!) I think not. NSync's appearance will NOT make or break AOTC.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I'll see the film and probably love it. But why was there even a need to put them in it at all. Just og with some unknowns. This is some of McCallum's BS. As long as they're in the distant and blurry background, and as long as I can't even begin to tell who they are, and, as long as they aren't onscreen more than a half second dying a horrible death, I won't have a problem with it.

There just wasn't a need to do it in the first place.

Was Mullholland Drive's greatness diminished because Billy Ray Cyrus was in it?
Are you serious? Cyrus was in Mulholland's Drive? Sheesh. I don't feel so bad now.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Was The Simpsons ruined when Britney Spears made a guest appearance
The Simpsons is by its very nature a satirical based series that pokes fun at itself and popular culture in general. If you are content to have Star Wars be such a thing, that's your choice.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you don't like the term "in-joke," substitute "easter egg." I don't know what connection basketballs and HP printer cartridges have to SF, either, but they are easter eggs. Actually, no. I'll stick by in-jokes. ILM and/or Lucas put those in there as little gags for their own amusement (in-jokes) and for the amusement of those who find them (easter eggs).

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
But he does make his point with Mulholland's Drive Robert? You left that one out in your argument.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what connection basketballs and HP printer cartridges have to SF, either, but they are easter eggs
Would it surprise anyone to see the N'SYNC appearance get considerable promotional airtime on MTV? Basketballs and printer cartridges get ZERO promotion.

That's the difference.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Just og with some unknowns.
yeah, like Samuel L. Jackson? How about Billy D? No use putting in Ewan anymore either, given he isn't an unknown, I won't be able to watch Star Wars without hoping he'll break out in Moulin Rouge song .... (that's sarcastic, btw :))
I really can't believe that people think less of a movie because of something this trivial. Star Wars is really a phenomenon to be able to generate traffic because of 2 seconds of extras!! Amazing!

MatS

Screenwriter
Terrell first let me start by saying I am no NStink fan in the least bit.
Please realize this is done all the time. Tell me you haven't listened to the many audio commentaries that exist on dvds where the director is spouting off about how his friend is in this scene and such, and so and so can be seen in the background of this scene. The boys (?) in NSync are fans of the franchise, they asked to be in the movie, and it looks like Lucas has obliged. Could you or I have wrote LucasFilms and asked to do the same...yes, would we get the same response...most likely not but who is to say. I do not believe they will be used in any way as a marketing tool. They will probably just be background in a scene, not even discernable to the human eye just to satisfy their desire and so they can claim they were in a Star Wars movie.
ok, so maybe I am wrong and they will be doing a big dance number with the Ewoks at the end of the film ;)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Would that in and of itself ruin the film for you? Hey, I didn't like it either. But now that I've calmed down, if they can't even be seen, utter no words whatoever, and are onscreen for a second, then it porbably won't be worth mentioning. As I said, they've got to get a couple hundred extras somewhere. Just don't let me see them. I just didn't like the idea of these people being on my beloved Star Wars.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway:

No, he doesn't make his point with the Billy Ray Cyrus thing. Billy Ray Cyrus appearing in Mulholland Drive is par for the course as far as Lynchian bizarreness goes.

Personally, I think Lucas bent his wookie sometime during the production of Return of the Jedi.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
He still makes his point. Even though I didn't care for the news, Cyrus isn't an actor, can't act, and a lot of poeple can't stand him. That's a weak argument on your part Scott. It's basically the same thing. I'm sure someone said "Billy Ray is in that movie.UGH!"

From the sound of it, N'Stink will be onscreen for less than a second and won't even be seen. Billy Ray was onscreen a lot longer.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I don't think it's a weak argument at all. Where are all the Lynch fans who cried out in discontent at his presence? There aren't any. Not that I know of, anyway. I just sort of grinned and thought it to be in line with Lynch's unique way of doing things.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
There's no point in arguing. It is a weak argument. They're the same for all of the reasons I listed. I'd rather N'Stink be completely off my Star Wars screen. If they handle it right, I won't care. If that ruins the film for you, again, you can always see Spiderman.

MatS

Screenwriter
well we might as well have some fun with this while we can:

let's think of all the promotional marketing tie-ins Lucas can do.

I'll start with the obvious Hasbro action figures of each of the NSync members in their space age garb. Hell it's not like Hasbro doesn't do an action figure of every other character in the Star Wars Universe that appears on screen for a nanosecond.

MatS

Screenwriter
hey that's a good one Terrell
that could be the tag line on the theatrical poster
NSync in a Star Wars movie... Ugh! Don't Force me to think about it
the more I think about this the more it makes sense since everything about NSync is so CGI. Meesa always knew Jar Jar was the long lost member of NSync.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks