What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Conundrum is in the 5th Season. I just literally saw it a few minutes ago during Lunch. I agree it's a really good episode. I felt it was an alternate version of the story idea for The Game that came earlier in the season. Though I liked that their own natural intuition saved them from the situation rather then an external force.

You guys are ahead of me, I better put some words down the fourth season, which I recently completed re-viewing. Then I can keep up with Scott!

Though I am halfway through the 5th season I skipped Unification till I have time to sit through parts 1 and 2 both at once.

Really hard to believe the 5th season was made way back in 1991! Seems like yesterday. And I had Nemesis on the homeoffice TV yesterday whilst doing some work on the computer. Such a shock to see how the cast look from the 5th season to Nemesis!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Funny, we watched some of Diagnosis: Murder tonight, and decided to skip a two-parter for the same reason.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A few quick thoughts about the fourth season.

The Star Trek The Next Generation Companion notes that the fourth seaaon focused on two things, family and the return of old characters. That sure was true!

The season premiere of course completes the story and cliff hanger of The Best of Both Worlds. I have to agree with an earlier comment, it was well done, but didn't grab you like part 1 did. I remember watching it then and wasn't as on the edge of my seat. Over repeat viewings, I've grown to really like it as a whole piece. A lot of good lines n there, "I like my species the way it is!" and "Sleep, Data" Cool way to defeat the Borg, essentially putting the computer to sleep. Oh, I forgot, as a Macintosh user, it means something, but to Windows, it's 'Stand by' I believe.

The next six episodes were really well done, in Family, we learn about Picard's family, brother and nephew and the wine. And his brother's rivalry is nicely settled and also an added scene where Picard gets to vent out his frustration at not being able to fight the Borg after being assimilated. Great casting in that one. Worf's parents were finally revealed here, as comic relief in part and to serve to show his odd mixture of cultures! Edit, I neglected to add a thought about Picard's nephew, Rene. I liked the chemistry when he's with Picard and talking about the stars and adventures in space. Such a contrast with his father who'd rather not see him go off as Jean Luc had. As noted below, by Sam, it was a shame to see him and his father die in Generations.

Brothers is a pretty cool tour de force for Spiner to play 3 characters. He's really good here as Dr. Soong. It had a sweetness to it too.

Remember Me was a bit convoluted and I thought it had been by Brannon Braga, but it's not! It brings back the Traveler to save Dr. Crusher from the bubble world she was accidentally sent too by Wesley. It gave Gates a chance to really hold the show on her own.

Legacy was ambitious, a story about Tasha's sister. The problem for me was that I wasn't sure it was really her sister. The betrayal at the end was heartbreaking if Data had a heart. This episode was a milestone too, it marked a point where it exceeded Star Trek TOS as it is the 80th episode filmed.

I really liked Reunion a lot. K'mpec asks Picard to meet and to find his murderer who poisoned him. K'Ehlyers come back to help Picard with a little surprise for Worf, Alexander. They dance around the subject of whether he is Worf's son or not and Worf is too subborn to ask. K'mpec dies and Gowron and Duras fight for the right to be the new leader of the Klingon Empire as Picard seeks to find person who murdered K'mpec. K'Ehlyer pushes too hard to find the truth about Worf's discommondation, she is also murdered and it's such a strong scene I think as Worf finds her. It's such a shame they decided to kill her. Could she have become a semi regular? The resolution of Worf's secret past is resolved later.

Future Imperfect is also a favorite. It was a really cool show that looks at an alternate future for Riker and the Enterprise as he awakes years later to learn he lost his memories and is the Captain of the Enterpeise with a son. However Riker figures out it's all trick as he sees the mother of his son is Minuet, a Holodeck creation. Nice return for Carolyn McCormick. Of course he's tricked again to think it's a Romulan trick, but then learns it's really a lonely Alien child looking for company. Really well done I think!

Final Mission, another really strong show where Wesley is about to leave for Starfleet Academy and Picard selfishly asks him to join on one last mission together to mediate a dispute with miners. But the shuttlecraft they travel in is a rustbucket from one of the miner's captained by amorally questionable Dirgo. He's played by Space: 1999's Nick Tate. Nice to see him on Trek! Well acted episode as they fight to survive after crash landing on a small planetoid. Picard is injured and Wesley figures out wy to get water from a fountain that has a force field that kills Dirgo. Nice acting here and it shows such admiration and affection Picard has for Wesley. We learn of Boothby here, who we don't see till Voyager visits a fake Starfleet Academy. But that's for another thread. It was probably Wil Weaton's best episode and his last as he leaves the show to pursue other projects.

Data's Day is a favorite too as we see a day in the life of Data. We are first introduced to Keiko, Miles' new bride to be, who Data has to try to help get them married when Keiko has cold feet. The best scene in this episode for me is the Dancing Doctor sequence. What a great bit of acting. The look on Spiner's face is priceless when Beverly tells him to smile as they dance. I have a good laugh everytime as he looks so silly!

The Wounded is one I had not seen in a long time and I forgot about it and it's a really good one. We meet Cardassians for the first time. We meet a rogue Captain Maxwell who turns out to be right that the Cardassians are illegally massing weapons that could threaten the peace between the Federation and Cardassian Empire. Picard helps the Cardassians hunt down Maxwell, Captain of the Pheonix and O'Brian's former C.O.. An exciting chase insues as Picard gos put of his way to show the Cardassians he means business the Federation will do what it takes to stop Maxwell from destroying more Cardassian ships. It is revealed that O'Brian is also wounded by the earlier skirmishes between the Cardassians and Federation citizens as he has to kill a Cardassian in a firefight to save Federation lives. He lives with what appears to be some prejudices to Cardassians. O'Brian get's a chance to sing an old song with Maxwell to get him to surrender. I like how it ends by Picard showing the Cardassian captain he helps to catch Maxwell that Picard knows the truth and he'll be watching.

Devil's Due was okay. But Clues was a really cool idea. It is revealed that Data is hiding the truth of why the Enterprise lost 24 hours and as a mystery, the crew does what it can to figure out the cause. And it all points to Data. But turns out the Enterprise accidentally discover a hidden planet whose inhabitants will do anything to stay hidden, including destroying the Enterprise. Picard order's Data to hide all evidence and never reveal the incident. Really well done show and resolution!

Gosh, more cool episodes follow! First Contact is a really well done show, about a first contact mission with the Malcorians whose about to embark into space, yet many extremely conservative citizens cannot embrace such advances in science. Riker is hurt while disguised as a Malcorian and is discovered to be an alien. He's held captive. Picard meet a sympatheic scientist, Mirasta who helps with first contact with the leader of the Malcorians, Durken. Riker is close to death as he tries to escape and is beaten up through fear and ignorance by his alien hands and toes. Eventually they decide it's too early for first contact and decide to leave the Malcorians alone at the request of the leader. Mirasta, in a touching ending requests and is granted an opportunity to leave with the Enterprise and explore space. A fun little sequence to poke fun at the tablods, Bebe Nuewith has a small part as a women who will help Riker escape the hospital if he agrees to her desire to have sex with an alien. A terrifically comical moment! And one of many cross overs between Star Trek The Next Gen and Frasier.

Galaxy's Child is another one of my favorite's where Geordi finally meets the real Dr. Leah Brahms whom he sort of falls for a holodeck version of her last year's in Booby Trap. They discover an alien creature that lives in space and inadvertantly kills it. What a great idea, a living space creature. It turns out to be pregnant and Dr. Crusher uses the ship's phasers to help the baby get out. The baby them imprints on the Enterprise as it's mother. Meanwhile Dr. Brahms turns out to be not very nice to Geordi who is trying hard to be nice and maybe get a date with her. Poor Geordi as he learns she is married and then she discovers the holodeck program and is angry by his apparent interlude with a virtual Dr. Brahms. In the end, they work together very well and resolve the problem of the alien baby who is stuck on the ships dorsal section and sucking the energy of the Enterprise. Another nice and sweet ending, the baby goes off to join a group of it's life form before they attack the Enterprise and Dr. Brahms and Geordi are friends and acknowledge they could be good together.

Identity Crisis was pretty good. But the Nth Degree was another cool sci fi idea. Barclay gets an episode and his withdrawn and awkward nature is overcome after encountering a shock from an alein probe that disables a Starfleet antenna array. His personality and intellegence grows, he makes a pass at Deanna, he learns to act in a play so well he makes Dr. Crusher weak in the knees and then takes over the Enterprise via an interface he builds in the holodeck. The cool revelation is that Barclay was used to alter the Enterprise so it can travel to another section of the Galaxy to meet another Alien race who don't actually travel, they bring back other species to them to make first contact. Barclay goes back to his old self, but just a tad better and the Federation meets a new race and brings back knowledge they learn from them.

"I am not a Merry Man!" This is a really fun episode where Q puts Picard in Robin Hood's shoes, and the crew are his merry men. But first Vash comes back to meet Picard. She learns that he tells no one of Picard and Vash's adventures on Rhisa, to her dissatisfaction. This seeming odd behavior of Picard not showing his feelings for Vash intrigue's Q and he decides to force Picard to admit he likes her by making her Maid Marian in the clutches of the evil Sir Guy so Picard has to either save her, or let her die. In th eend, he saves her and Vash's doubledealing really intrigues Q, so he invites her to go with him after Vash says good bye to Picard.

The Drumhead was a heavy serious episode and extremely well done and acted concerning an investigation on the Enterprise of an explosion by a retired Admiral Satie, played by Jean Simmons. The investigation of an accidental dillitium chamber explosion on the Enterprise reveals a visiting Klingon officer is smuggling plans to the Romulans. But Admiral Satie's quest for justice takes her investigation past this to places that makes Picard very uncomfortable, likening it to a witch hunt where she tries to implicate a crew member who has Romulan blood from one of his relatives and then implies Picard is dirty because he was assimilated by the Borg. Admiral Satie losses credibility to another Fleet Admiral and the trial ends as a warning that this should never happen again.

The Host marks the first time we meet the Trill race. I forgot the main issue they so well bring to light is what happens if a person you meet and become close to is not the external shell, but the being that's inside that joins with the body and becomes that being. Dr. Crusher falls in love with the Trill, but she learns after he is injured that he is really the parasite inside. The parasite must be saved and Riker volunteers to host the parasite, Odan. The ensuring situation puts Crusher in an awkward spot, Riker takes on Odan's personality and wants to make love to Beverly, who cannot acept this at first. She can't deal with it! Later, a new host arrives so that they can transfer Odan into the host. It is revealed to be a woman, and Beverly just can't get past the external, and has to end the affair.

The Mind's Eye was a terrific homage to The Manchurain Candidate, and adds more insight that the mysterious Klingon/Romulan conspiracy to bring down the Federation. In theory is an interesting look at what would happen if Data tried to fall in love. I already wrote about these two in an earleir post, so I'll stop here.

Finally, the season ends with Redemption Part 1. Worf and Kurn fight to help Gowron retain his leadeship as the Duras sisters appear with a claim that Duras had a son and rightful heir to lead the Empire. With the secret help of the Romulans, they conspire to help the Duras take over the Empire. Picard will not get involved as it's an internal affair. He comes at Gowron's request though to finish the ritual of naming Gowron as the new Leader of the Empire after deciding that the Duras sister's claim is invalid. It is revealed in the end that Sela is pulling the strings, Tash'a daughter.

In Part 2, the fifth season opener, Worf quits Starfleet to help in the civil war that now threatens to tear the Empire apart. Picard suspects Romulan involvement and hatches a plan to help without getting invloved in the internal affairs of the Empire. He set's up a blockade of ships to trap any clocked ships. Data is given command of one of the ships. This ia an interesting B story here. The first officer of the ship Data commands won't accept an android as a captain and questions and resists orders. Data proves he's a competant captain by the end and earns the respect of his first officer after he comes to the conclusion that the Romulans are trying to take advantage of an opening and cross the blockade where Data's ship is. He violates Picard's order to move to another sector and reveals the Romulans. Sela's plan is foiled. What is odd to me here is how Spiner was acting with such emotion as he raises his voice to order his first officer to follow his instructions.

Phew, that was a lot of babbling. But the fourth season really had a lot of gems. I pointed out episodes that I felt were really good and I enjoyed rewatching. What do you guys think? There were 2 shows I didn't mention, Half a Life and Night Terrors. I remember them as weak episodes, though it's usually fun to see Majel back as Mrs. Troi, maybe you guys have different views?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

So here's something that always bugged me. Future Imperfect was the first episode to showcase the Alternate Insignia Combadge, that featured the officers rank in bars behind the Starfleet Arrow. These were seen a few times throughout the series after this, but all the other times we actually were in the future or alternate dimensions. Meanwhile the origin of it was from some alien's imagination. LAME!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

No problem Scott, this is a TNG thread.:emoji_thumbsup:

Zack, regarding the comm badges from Future Imperfect. I'll look into that, or maybe someone else knows. But there must be a story here.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That was another way TNG departed from TOS, and it was a good decision. Filling in backstory and bringing back characters we've seen before helped to deepen the overall show, which was really developing a complex universe of characters, places and events. They were getting closer to a consistent continuity, which is what most fans always wanted, but studios stayed away from for fear of alienating syndication networks.

The fourth season is one of my favorites, closely tied with the third for best of the seven years. Many of the episodes you cite are the reasons why.

Family is one of the biggest departures for the series, and remains one of the finest hours the show ever did. What a crime that the characters of Robert and Rene were so casually killed off (off screen, no less!) in Generations. I would have liked to see them again, and more importantly, they deserved better.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I think it was just a matter of needing a futuristic version of the combadge, and hey, here's this cool thing we did once, let's use it again. For all we know, Riker had seen a development version of that combadge and the alien took it from his memory to use it.

Far worse (and pointless) was the change in combadges around the time of Generations, when the oval behind the delta was changed to a kind of rectangular thing with a hole in the middle. I liked the TNG badges, not the movie ones (which were used on Voyager and DS9). This takes me to a discussion of the look of TNG vs later shows, and I think TNG wins with its brighter colors and brightly lit sets, compared with Voyager's dull, mostly black suits and very darkly lit sets. DS9's initial uniforms were dull too, but got better when they switched in the 5th season. DS9's lighting wasn't as bright as TNG but suited that show.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Sam Favate wrote (post #69):

The lighting on Voyager was one of the few things the producers actually got right
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/711930-post1.html (and TNG definitely got wrong). Voyager's lighting also suited that show and was much more realistic to long-term deep-space travel than the "brightly lit sets" of TNG or TOS. In deep space, such waste would prove fatal.

Americans love to waste energy and, comforted by their politicians and capitalists, have come to think that our present situation is, and can always be the norm. Well, it can't, as it seems we're going to find out the hard way quite soon.

More anon.

Roger_R

Second Unit
I've been watching season 3 again and the lighting in Yesterday's Enterprise was great. I wish they had kept it and explained it as being a temporal anomaly or something...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding lighting, Data's Day was an interesting example of where they show the day watch and night watch on the bridge. When Riker comes on the bridge for duty and takes over from Data, the bridge is dark. Riker calls for the day watch to begin and the lighting on the bridge goes light as it usually is.

I can imaging a rather routine or non-eventful 8 hours on the con and wonder if the navigator or helmsman could get drowsy in those darker conditions. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed. And the edge that most of the crew members had after the 'shift' was something that I really liked as well. It would have been nice to have explored that 'mood' a bit more in future episodes.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I've always wondered, out in space why is there even a concept of 'day and night'? As I understand it, there isn't much of a distinction on a submarine, just different shifts and the sailors even have to hot-bunk it, to save space (i.e. two share one bunk, one's on shift, the other is off and sleeps in the bunk). But at least on a sub, there might be a concept of local time, to respond to surface threats that would tend to be more active during the day. In deep space, wouldn't encounters, if any, all be at random?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Whoa there. Not all Americans "love to waste energy," and anyway, we're talking about a TV show, in which everything doesn't have to be realistic in 20th or 21st century terms.

I would assume Federation starships aren't powered by fossil fuels, so maybe they have a fuel source that wouldn't be wasteful and they are able to keep the lights on, so the audience (!) can see what is going on!

So we will have to agree to disagree: I still think the lighting is one of the many things Voyager got very wrong.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

The 2 shows I could accept being Dark was DS9, becasue they are on an old Cardassian station, and Voyager where they are supposedly low on resources (of course that does'nt stop them from using the Holodeck all the time !)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

If you'll permit me a slight tangent, although it's related to the previous posts in that it discusses VOY. ;)

Last night, we watched Day of Honor and Nemesis (first time for both of these episodes). I loved the dialogue in the second episode. It wasn't quite as challenging as the TNG episode Darmok, but it was nevertheless quite entertaining. :)

As my son went off to bed last night, I left him with this thought:

"In the soon after, he will glimpse the glare and fastwalk toward the trunks while on his sphere. In the here after, he will unopen his teeth covering and gasp. Fathom?"

In some ways, it almost has a 'Silaran Prin dialogue' feel to it. ;)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Yee Ming wrote (post #74):

So, in other words, you're deep into fantasy, instead of "science-fiction". You're posing the supposed needs of the audience---I could see what I needed to see in the scenes quite well, thank you; and I watched them all---against the story characters' needs.

Any unnecessary use of fuel is a waste, by definition. One doesn't need to see every nook and cranny of a room or a corridor brightly lit every time one is there in order to function properly. It's only an esthetic inculcated through a culture of wasteful habits, arrogant (and unjustified) self-assurance of continued plenty, and namby-pamby daintiness about "what's in the dark" ("boogeyman-fever"?) that shapes a perception of need of continuous and unabated consumption of precious resources.

Think they're not "precious"? Wait till you run out. (And hundreds or thousands of light years from exploitable new ones? [ugh!]:rolleyes)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
If I have to read another environmental rant in this (STAR TREK!) thread I'm leaving every light in my house on for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks