What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Final Mission is one of my fave episodes, but then, I am a Wesley fan which I know is not the case across the board. I will absolutely agree that that the shuttle captain being such an arrogant fool was contrived in order to guarantee that Wesley would be the hero. In fact, there are several episodes where for whatever reason Picard has to take a shuttlecraft and that always leads to a "situation". Then, in this case, it isn't even a Starfleet shuttle and the captain is an ass. All that aside, I still love the episode and how it highlights both respect and affection between Picard and Wesley.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think 'Pen Pals' is one of the best episodes written about Wesley Crusher. Being put in charge of mineral survey he has to lead a team for the task, but his humble approach makes the team second guess him (as he does himself). fantastic character study, and just an all around great episode. The early seasons had some real top notch sci-fi.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think 'Pen Pals' is one of the best episodes written about Wesley Crusher. Being put in charge of mineral survey he has to lead a team for the task, but his humble approach makes the team second guess him (as he does himself). fantastic character study, and just an all around great episode. The early seasons had some real top notch sci-fi.
Pen Pals is a favourite of mine because of the meeting about the Prime Directive in Picard's quarters. The entire senior staff is there. The way that it is staged, blocked, and filmed is masterful.

Everyone is in a circle. Each character except Worf starts sitting down. Worf is standing, arms crossed. He's the first to say the Prime Directive is not a matter of degrees, but absolute. Dr. Pulaski says she has a problem with that rigidity (and Worf is literally standing rigid). Riker is almost lounging in his chair, in his usual "chill" style, and turns the conversation more philosophical. Then Geordi stands because he disagrees with Riker. Then Geordi sits, and Pulaski stands. The staff are raising points, rebutting points, and positions change, or, as Picard says, they are less secure in their moral certitude. This is reflected by people sitting, then standing, then sitting.

Picard holding the meeting in his quarters and not the conference room is a nice bit of showing, not telling. In his quarters it's more casual (see Riker), and everyone's opinion is freely heard, almost without regard to rank.

The scene is low key one of the best in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks