What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Can anyone imagine a TOS-crew movie without Kirk?"

Im not sure thats a fair comparison. TOS was always about Kirk, Spock and McCoy with the others in the background. Not so with TNG characters who had episodes and more time devoted to all the characters.

I definitely think a TNG film can work without Picard.Theres lots of characters out there in the Trek Universe to pick from.
In all honesty - Id seen so much of Picard during the series alone, I was hoping that he wouldnt be around past the first or second TNG movie.

I think it hurt them all the more depending on Picard and Data so much becuase now both seem to be gone,which is why I felt they made a mistake not giving Riker,LaForge or Worf more screen time in the TNG films.

Stewart was unhappy with the way the past 2 Trek films have gone, but I dont know why hes complaining as he was so involved with the creative process. If I remember correctly, he had Veto rights concerning Insurrection - meaning the film couldnt process without his OKing the script.

He should have been killed off in First Contact.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Can anyone imagine a TOS-crew movie without Kirk?"

Im not sure thats a fair comparison. TOS was always about Kirk, Spock and McCoy with the others in the background. Not so with TNG characters who had episodes and more time devoted to all the characters.

I definitely think a TNG film can work without Picard.Theres lots of characters out there in the Trek Universe to pick from.
In all honesty - Id seen so much of Picard during the series alone, I was hoping that he wouldnt be around past the first or second TNG movie.

I think it hurt them all the more depending on Picard and Data so much becuase now both seem to be gone,which is why I felt they made a mistake not giving Riker,LaForge or Worf more screen time in the TNG films.

Stewart was unhappy with the way the past 2 Trek films have gone, but I dont know why hes complaining as he was so involved with the creative process. If I remember correctly, he had Veto rights concerning Insurrection - meaning the film couldnt process without his OKing the script.

He should have been killed off in First Contact.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i'd like to see a movie like people have said, starfleet cadets starting out and making thier way. I could see a trilogy if it was done right, the first movie could be startfleet and graduation.

As far as timeline, i'd like to see it set after nemesis, to stay in the 'present'. Thats my take on it.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i'd like to see a movie like people have said, starfleet cadets starting out and making thier way. I could see a trilogy if it was done right, the first movie could be startfleet and graduation.

As far as timeline, i'd like to see it set after nemesis, to stay in the 'present'. Thats my take on it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think a series of "straight-to-DVD" movies with Riker on his new ship, and with a crew made up of a mixture of characters from DS9, Voyager, and TNG would work.

They could possibly even have occasional cameos from Janeway, Picard, and (even) Sisko.

I really think that if Star Trek is to continue in the short term it will have to be in the way of a series of "straight-to-DVD" movies.

This kind of series would:

* Be aimed primarily at the fans, and the stories can therefore be more "hard core" Star Trek.

* Require lower pre-production, post-production, and (especially lower) promotional costs, and therefore allow for maximizing of investment.

* Allow Paramount to keep the Star Trek merchandising gravy train going while still limiting the ongoing inventory. They should do no more than one a year of these; but they *should* have a release at least once a year.

As for a theatrical Prequel Trilogy, forget it! :thumbsdown:
Not even the Star Wars franchise, which had been dormant for 16 years following the release of Return of the Jedi in 1983, could pull that off (at least from a creative perspective.)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think a series of "straight-to-DVD" movies with Riker on his new ship, and with a crew made up of a mixture of characters from DS9, Voyager, and TNG would work.

They could possibly even have occasional cameos from Janeway, Picard, and (even) Sisko.

I really think that if Star Trek is to continue in the short term it will have to be in the way of a series of "straight-to-DVD" movies.

This kind of series would:

* Be aimed primarily at the fans, and the stories can therefore be more "hard core" Star Trek.

* Require lower pre-production, post-production, and (especially lower) promotional costs, and therefore allow for maximizing of investment.

* Allow Paramount to keep the Star Trek merchandising gravy train going while still limiting the ongoing inventory. They should do no more than one a year of these; but they *should* have a release at least once a year.

As for a theatrical Prequel Trilogy, forget it! :thumbsdown:
Not even the Star Wars franchise, which had been dormant for 16 years following the release of Return of the Jedi in 1983, could pull that off (at least from a creative perspective.)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Paramount's bad scheduling of Nemesis is what cause the movie to bomb at the box office. I agree opening it a week before TTT wasn't smart at all.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Paramount's bad scheduling of Nemesis is what cause the movie to bomb at the box office. I agree opening it a week before TTT wasn't smart at all.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

That, and the fact that it's such a bad movie. Typical Berman, thinking all he has to do is recycle earlier stuff (specifically, Wrath of Kahn) and slap the TNG brand on it and then fans would lap it up. It was a soulless, uninvolving effort, and the chemistry that worked so beautifully with this cast during the TV series was glaringly absent. It was typical go-through-the-motions, Berman-era Trek. And, considering the adage of being able to fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time, it looks like a lot of folks are wising up.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

That, and the fact that it's such a bad movie. Typical Berman, thinking all he has to do is recycle earlier stuff (specifically, Wrath of Kahn) and slap the TNG brand on it and then fans would lap it up. It was a soulless, uninvolving effort, and the chemistry that worked so beautifully with this cast during the TV series was glaringly absent. It was typical go-through-the-motions, Berman-era Trek. And, considering the adage of being able to fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time, it looks like a lot of folks are wising up.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Star Trek is all about presenting an interesting issue through the vehicle of a story. Often the story is about social issues but sometimes not.

Nemesis did exactly that. It explored the issue of what makes up who you are. Are you who you are because of genetics or is it environment, or is it a bit of both?

If you look it that way, Nemesis did exactly that, and did it well.

If you look back, a great many of the Star Trek movies have the same thematic style.

Perhaps we've put Star Trek on a pedestal and are expecting much more from it than we should. I think most likely Star Trek is not going to present an epic story arc across multiple movies. It's just not what Star Trek is primarily about, although, they do have a specific clear universe and they try not not have conflicting plot lines.

Just some thoughts....

- bones

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Star Trek is all about presenting an interesting issue through the vehicle of a story. Often the story is about social issues but sometimes not.

Nemesis did exactly that. It explored the issue of what makes up who you are. Are you who you are because of genetics or is it environment, or is it a bit of both?

If you look it that way, Nemesis did exactly that, and did it well.

If you look back, a great many of the Star Trek movies have the same thematic style.

Perhaps we've put Star Trek on a pedestal and are expecting much more from it than we should. I think most likely Star Trek is not going to present an epic story arc across multiple movies. It's just not what Star Trek is primarily about, although, they do have a specific clear universe and they try not not have conflicting plot lines.

Just some thoughts....

- bones

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Rick Berman must have naked photos of Paramount Executives engaged in unspeakable acts with farm animals...how he has managed to keep his job as steward over the ST franchise is astonishing.

Seriously, all the bad TV shows and bad movies must be coming from the top, not from Berman. He has to be following orders from some higher muckety muck looking to pump the revenues from the Star Trek well. DS9 was too chilly for me, the characters didn't engage me. Voyager seemed to try to come up with appealing characters, but the writing was so horrible, I gave up after the 2nd season -- anyone else remember that episode where the Captain and the blond guy devolved into giant mud-puppies and ran off to a swamp planet and had babies after going Warp 11 in a shuttle craft? And then they are magically restored to their former selves after being exposed to "warp core radiation"? Not a stretch mark, not a tooth missing, not a hair missing -- one minute you're Jeff Goldblum at the end of the The Fly, the next minute you're ready for a Revlon spread - wow! That's some bad writing, folks.

I see similar parallels between the state of the Star Trek franchise and the state of the Disney animated features...too much junk has degraded the brand name, and yet, the company is addicted to the junk, and so, the hits just keep on coming.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Rick Berman must have naked photos of Paramount Executives engaged in unspeakable acts with farm animals...how he has managed to keep his job as steward over the ST franchise is astonishing.

Seriously, all the bad TV shows and bad movies must be coming from the top, not from Berman. He has to be following orders from some higher muckety muck looking to pump the revenues from the Star Trek well. DS9 was too chilly for me, the characters didn't engage me. Voyager seemed to try to come up with appealing characters, but the writing was so horrible, I gave up after the 2nd season -- anyone else remember that episode where the Captain and the blond guy devolved into giant mud-puppies and ran off to a swamp planet and had babies after going Warp 11 in a shuttle craft? And then they are magically restored to their former selves after being exposed to "warp core radiation"? Not a stretch mark, not a tooth missing, not a hair missing -- one minute you're Jeff Goldblum at the end of the The Fly, the next minute you're ready for a Revlon spread - wow! That's some bad writing, folks.

I see similar parallels between the state of the Star Trek franchise and the state of the Disney animated features...too much junk has degraded the brand name, and yet, the company is addicted to the junk, and so, the hits just keep on coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks