What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree. It's hard to make a movie exceed the series finale. (I get teary when I catch the ending of it. :))

Perhaps I can pull back and recommend that if the movie isn't on par with the best ST:TNG episodes, then don't bother. But it's okay to do a movie that merely equals the greatest.

I suggest having the next movie start with Picard waking to realize the previous movie was a bad dream. Data is back. Riker and Troi aren't married. Then have a full three-hour drama, with a killer script tied into the themes of the show and First Contact, and use it to fully conclude the show and characters.

Make it the ultimate sending off. We needs something at least as strong as ST VI (Undiscovered Country) to finish the series. Here, we can destroy the Enterprise one last time. Riker can eschew Troi to finally pursue his own ship; she will marry Worf in a surprise twist. Picard will die in his Father's vinyards, in the arms of Crusher who can't save him. Q will offer to save Picard, but will be turned down, remaining true to himself. I'm not sure about Geordi; perhaps he'll join Riker's crew. He needs something big, since the everyman needs some rewards.

And that's why I'm an engineer and not a writer :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree. It's hard to make a movie exceed the series finale. (I get teary when I catch the ending of it. :))

Perhaps I can pull back and recommend that if the movie isn't on par with the best ST:TNG episodes, then don't bother. But it's okay to do a movie that merely equals the greatest.

I suggest having the next movie start with Picard waking to realize the previous movie was a bad dream. Data is back. Riker and Troi aren't married. Then have a full three-hour drama, with a killer script tied into the themes of the show and First Contact, and use it to fully conclude the show and characters.

Make it the ultimate sending off. We needs something at least as strong as ST VI (Undiscovered Country) to finish the series. Here, we can destroy the Enterprise one last time. Riker can eschew Troi to finally pursue his own ship; she will marry Worf in a surprise twist. Picard will die in his Father's vinyards, in the arms of Crusher who can't save him. Q will offer to save Picard, but will be turned down, remaining true to himself. I'm not sure about Geordi; perhaps he'll join Riker's crew. He needs something big, since the everyman needs some rewards.

And that's why I'm an engineer and not a writer :D

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

The one that gets me is the episode called 'inner light.' The finale didn't do it for me. Too many of the things seemd borrowed from the book called Imzadi. They probably weren't but that's what it seemed like to me.

I'm not in the writting business either. If I wrote a script it'd probably be really bad and everyone would be confused.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

The one that gets me is the episode called 'inner light.' The finale didn't do it for me. Too many of the things seemd borrowed from the book called Imzadi. They probably weren't but that's what it seemed like to me.

I'm not in the writting business either. If I wrote a script it'd probably be really bad and everyone would be confused.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hell, "The Inner Light" is Star Trek at its absolute pinnacle. A mind-boggingly high concept and a poignant execution. Simply brilliant. Worthy of being called "SF."

Re post #41: Looks like our friend Dave has it all figured out! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hell, "The Inner Light" is Star Trek at its absolute pinnacle. A mind-boggingly high concept and a poignant execution. Simply brilliant. Worthy of being called "SF."

Re post #41: Looks like our friend Dave has it all figured out! :)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The series finale for TNG is definitely not even one of the top 10 episodes in my opinion.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
The series finale for TNG is definitely not even one of the top 10 episodes in my opinion.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The Inner Light boggles the mind, doesn't it?

To think that:

someone could live an entire lifetime in the span of a few seconds, and then have to live with those intimate memories for the rest of another lifetime...just briliant and thought provoking writing!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The Inner Light boggles the mind, doesn't it?

To think that:

someone could live an entire lifetime in the span of a few seconds, and then have to live with those intimate memories for the rest of another lifetime...just briliant and thought provoking writing!

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
"The Inner Light" was certainly a powerful episode and definitely in my top five. But, I have to give all-time-best honors to DS9's "The Visitor".

As for "All Good Things...", it's definitely the best series finale I've ever seen.

Getting back to the movies, it saddens me to say it but I don't think we'll ever see another theatrical feature with any of the TOS or TNG-era cast members.

My bet is on the Starfleet Academy flicks. I don't necessarily like the idea, but I'd bet that's where they are going.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
"The Inner Light" was certainly a powerful episode and definitely in my top five. But, I have to give all-time-best honors to DS9's "The Visitor".

As for "All Good Things...", it's definitely the best series finale I've ever seen.

Getting back to the movies, it saddens me to say it but I don't think we'll ever see another theatrical feature with any of the TOS or TNG-era cast members.

My bet is on the Starfleet Academy flicks. I don't necessarily like the idea, but I'd bet that's where they are going.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand this business about letting Frakes direct and letting Spiner and his buddy write.

When it comes time to make a movie, hire the best writer and director you can get, don't look for whoever you've already got on board as an actor. Smells of politics.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand this business about letting Frakes direct and letting Spiner and his buddy write.

When it comes time to make a movie, hire the best writer and director you can get, don't look for whoever you've already got on board as an actor. Smells of politics.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Frakes was asked to direct First Contact because he had directed for the TV show already. I think the studio wanted a director who had experience with Trek and knew the characters well after what happened with Generations. Frakes did a great job with First Contact, so he was hired back for Insurrection. In both cases, Paramount thought that he was the best man for the job.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Frakes was asked to direct First Contact because he had directed for the TV show already. I think the studio wanted a director who had experience with Trek and knew the characters well after what happened with Generations. Frakes did a great job with First Contact, so he was hired back for Insurrection. In both cases, Paramount thought that he was the best man for the job.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Frakes directed some of the best episodes of the television show, and it was only fitting that he direct some of the films. He did well with FC and I suppose he did as much as he could with Insurrection, but that was hampered from the beginning by a poor script and concept. The films are never going to improve until the people making the concepts and writing the stories improve.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Frakes directed some of the best episodes of the television show, and it was only fitting that he direct some of the films. He did well with FC and I suppose he did as much as he could with Insurrection, but that was hampered from the beginning by a poor script and concept. The films are never going to improve until the people making the concepts and writing the stories improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks