What's new

Spike TV (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The fact that I work in the system puts me in the position of being knowledgeable about how it operates. I don't know whether you're qualified or not, but cheap shots like this don't add to your credibility.
I wouldn't call it a cheap shot. A little sarcastic, in response to your apparent attitude that anybody outside the system is not as qualified as you to comment. Some would call *that* the cheap shot, or disrespect, or what have you.

I acknowledge and respect your "inside" knowledge and experience in HOW the system works, and I appreciate the information you bring to the discussion. But does that automatically qualify you more than anyone else with common sense to judge whether a legal system for all the people SHOULD work that way? I think not.

Maybe some of us not intimately tied to the legal system can see it as a forest, not just so many trees.

jim barnes

Auditioning
The fact that I work in the system puts me in the position of being knowledgeable about how it operates.
And that fact would probably cause you to not have the most objective view either.
To us folks outside of the system this is just another of the endless parade of silly lawsuits that we hear about on a daily basis.

Craig_T

Second Unit
I wouldn't worry about the schedule, I'm sure they'll continue showing RealTV and Star Trek ten times per day regardless of the network name.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think Hanna & Barbera should sue Spike Lee, it's obvious he stole his name from their MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons featuring the character of Spike the dog. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They should just call it Lee tv instead and claim it's named after Stan Lee. That would fix his wagon.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
To answer the questions about programming, from an article I read the other day, Viacom said they still plan on changing their programming as planned on Monday, just not renaming the network as of yet.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I honostly can't see why the judge feels this way. The examples he listed (Madonna, Cher, Sting) don't have last names. I've never heard Spike Lee called simply Spike. It's "a Spike Lee joint" not "a Spike joint".
He mentioned Liza (Liza Minelli, the messed up Broadway singer), and Barbara (Streisand) as examples of celebrities who have two names but are somewhat recognizable even with just one.

To make it fair (if judges are going to allow frivolous lawsuits), then jurors must be given the right to walk off of stupid trials.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Spike Lee actually thinks people would want to watch a channel named after him? :D Does he realize how few people know who he is?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
He mentioned Liza (Liza Minelli, the messed up Broadway singer), and Barbara (Streisand) as examples of celebrities who have two names but are somewhat recognizable even with just one.
I must have skipped over that part. I don't see Barbara Streisand or Liza Minelli as celebrities that are immediately recognizable by first name only. If someone came up to me and said, "You'll never believe what Barbara is doing now!!", I'd reply, "Barbara who?". I work at a music store, and I've never heard someone call her simply Barbara.

What a stupid judge.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Liza Minelli may qualify, but only by virtue of having an unusual name. Elvis Presley's a good example, but Spike lee doesn't have nearly as a rare a name nor his level of recognition.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Actually, it's Barbra, not Barbara. The unique spelling of Streisand's first name makes her somewhat unique, but you can't tell if it's just verbal. And relatively few people notice the difference in writing anyway.

Yes, if Viacom tried to name it ElvisTV, the estate of Elvis Presley would have a legitimate claim. But Elvis was his real name and his popularity is enormous. Mr. Lee's name isn't even really Spike, it isn't unique to him, and he is certainly no Elvis popularity-wise.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was just at the Licensing show. And their was a large booth for licensing the name & likeness of Elvis Presley.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Well, today is/ was supposed to be the big day, and as of writing this, it's still called TNN. So, yeah, the other Scott was right. Thankfully, in switching programing, they've also gotten rid of that awful black bar. And to make things even better, the bug is now a small grey TNN logo. Dispite my hate of bugs, this is much better than that stupid bar. I'm actually in disbelief that TNN actually listened to all the complaints. They kept that stupid bar going for a while.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When I hear the name Spike, that kid from "The Transformers" comes to mind. And also those sharp, pointy, metal things.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Lee also needs to sue the railroads. After all, they use spikes to hold the rails down, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks