What's new

Specs for HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
From what I have been hearing:

Discs themselves will all be 1080P for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. They basically will all be made from the same film masters.

HD-DVD 1st generation players will be 1080I players. But, 2nd generation players and beyond will be 1080P players. 2nd gen. players are due out around the holidays.

There will be a filmware update available for 1st generation HD-DVD players to play 1080P material as well. Of course assuming you have a HDMI/1080P capable television.

Juan C

Second Unit

That is a totally unbsubstantiated rumour by a retailer that has proven to be wrong more than once.

Don't count on it.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
That is not a rumour....its an outright lie.....or lack of knowledge on there part.
There will be no 1080p or hdmi 1.3 upgrade to the first gen Toshibas via firmware or hardware upgrades in the future.

What you buy is all you get.;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Just to clarify semantics...

ALL HD DVD players will play "1080P material"...what they WON'T do is output a 1080P signal to your display.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Can you say; Hosed?
Bless them though, for these HD dogooders (getbadders?) help get the HiDef ball rolling for all of us!
At too great a cost, for me however.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, let the early adopters be the guinea pigs this time around because I certainly won't be buying in until the dust settles.

It doesn't matter how many whiz-bang features you get on a 1st gen machine (including 1080p output on BR players). Invariably, 2nd or 3rd gen players will likely have new features that will compel upgrades. When dvd came out, the machines didn't have components outs or progressive scan, yet somehow dvd survived.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

True. DVD survived upgrades. However, "progressive scan" was not on the horizon at the time of DVD's first release. Scalers were very expensive at the time. Features we are talking about on HD-DVD are known to be coming, soon!

i thought first gen DVD players did have component?
Anyone?

DVD players did not survive lacking 10 bit video DAC's (some first gen only had 9 bit) & DTS (flag). DTS was not on any first gen players, yet it was known to be coming and people did indeed wait for DTS DVD players.

First gen HD-DVD players are going to sell what they are going to sell. Nothing stops those first time buyers. Just, second gen player (1080p output, 1.3 HDMI, etc.) sales will be a better reflection of the interest in HD-DVD.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Actually, component outputs were there right at the very beginning. Not ALL players had them , but they were without a doubt available right at launch.

My Toshiba SD-3006, which I bought in March '97 before any movies were available, certainly had them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Amen to that! This game's getting too expensive for me to be an early adopter anymore. I'll wait until mid - late 2007 before looking at upgrading to a hd-player. Maybe by then the format war will just about be over and I can get a HD set with HDMI inputs. And if the war is still going then, I have no problem holding off until it is over.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Clinton,
Would you consider a "maga-multi" universal player?
Or, are you worried about support for both formats till the war is over?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks