What's new

Special Features on Final Season of MASH (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I hope that this topic isn't misleading anybody because I do not have any news about the final season. You'd be stupid to believe I do. Gord would have posted it on TVShowsonDVD if so.

Sorry, had to get that out of the way. I hope that they will add special features to the final season of M*A*S*H... I was talking to my friend the other day and I created a list of special features that would be pleasing to the fans.

Here's my list.

Reflecting on M*A*S*H: Impact on Society (120 min special)
Interviews with Alan Alda, Wayne Rogers, Larry Gelbart, Gary Burghoff, Harry Morgan, David Ogden Steirs, Loretta Swift, Mike Farrel, William Christopher, Jamie Farr, and Allan Arbus.

Making M*A*S*H
M*A*S*H: 30th Anniversy Reunion
Memories of M*A*S*H
Director's Commentary on Goodbye, Farewell, Amen
A Tribute to Larry Gelbart

From Book to Television: The Life of M*A*S*H (120 mins)
In this special Richard Hooker talks about his service in the Korean War as a Doctor. The division line between book, movie, and television. Richard Hooker's distate of how Hawkeye was portrayed by Alan Alda.

DVD Rom: Script to Screen Feature for Goodbye, Farewell, & Amen.

I realize that this will never happen. But this is the type of stuff I'd like to see. It's somewhat of a perfect list. I have a very bleak outlook on the prospects of FOX actually adding special features onto the DVD.

But, I'm glad I shared this idea with everyone.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Use a question in the subject header instead of misleading people to click on this and then insulting everyone. A lot of news is posted on this bulletin board before Gord posts it on the main site so just because it hasn't been on TVShowsonDVD doesn't mean the news couldn't come from some other source.

Paul

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My guess is there won't be. I just finished up season 4 last night with the terrific show "The interview" I relized how glad I am to have MASH on DVD but yet what a missed opportunity Fox is giving this classic series by releasing them Bare bones. I'd shell out a few extra bones to have an extra disk of extras and may be a few commentaries on the standout shows. But they are good versions are a great price point, but a missed opportunity for sure.

Mash Like All in the Family has regained a certain revelance again in the 21st century that they missed in the 80's and 90's. So I guess the shows speak for themselves.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It occurs to me that this discussion has taken place a few times, like everytime the next season of M*A*S*H is announced for release.

It also occurs to me that this conversation will be had again several million more times since I don't expect season 11 until 2006 if their current pattern holds out of a June/December release...we should get seasons 8 and 9 in 2005, and 10/11 in 2006...but if Fox wanted to fast track them so we finished the series next year that would get no complaint from me.

You know, among classic Television this is probably the best seller, given that fact I think it would still probably sell pretty well if you put some features on the final season even if that meant a price increase. It might hurt your sales a bit, but I don't imagine it would hurt them all that much, so IMO the usual excuse of well putting features on the set might not make them profitable doesn't hold up. I'm not saying that's Fox's reasoning for not putting any features on the set, just that if it were it wouldn't be a good one IMO.

There is a lot they could do, there is already a lot of stuff out there. We don't need audio commentaries on every episode like the Simpsons, but I think a commentary track over the Goodbye Fairwell and Amen would be more than welcome.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't like to swear, I really don't like to swear on HTF, but dear god did seeing this news make me unleashe a string of profanities.

Thanks for screwing us over, Fox~!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Dont' count on any extras, folks. If they were going to do it they'd have done it by now.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering just what those extras are...not that it'll matter personally. I won't be buying that special collectors set.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Casey, I'm with you. If they don't offer those of us who have been buying the seasons one at a time since the original release the extras, I'll let out a post with enough profanity in it that'll probably get me banned from the board.

Kidding. but seriously, *(^&#@%#(@#!#!(#%^@%$@%@*#@^

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, Fox ISN'T HBO, I wouldn't be too surprised if this is priced similarly to the Buffy Chosen Collection set was (even though Buffy ran 7 seasons compared to MASH's 11, since it was an hour long show, the sets originally were $20 higher and there was a total of 40 discs in the big box set) and you can easily get the thing for $140-200, which means if you go and ebay your old sets, you should be able to have enough to pay for the new set

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I never thought I'd have to decide whether or not to buy a season of M*A*S*H on release date.

Yet, this news makes me question whether I should buy season 10 when it comes out next week at all.

Nice going Fox, you just made me question whether to buy a show I've been buying on release date since my Birthday of January 8, 2002. There's an accomplishment you can put in your next press kit.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I'll buy season 10 next week, and season 11 in November. I WON'T double dip 10 whole seasons just to get a bonus disc. If, as has been pointed out before, the studio was to put all the reunion shows, etc together on a couple of "Bonus" discs, why not also offer that to the general public in a 12th box, even at the same price as the 11 season sets. I could live with that, even tho season 11 is only 15 individual episodes, or just 10 episodes plus the movie finale.

I was hoping we'd see the 11th season with all the bonus extras/reunion shows, etc...even if it retailed for $49.95 or $59.95 and had and extra disc or two in the set. No way am I double dipping 10 full seasons for bonus material now!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, A&E made the Space: 1999 bonus disc available separately (albeit, only on their website), so it's not unprecedented. Whether Fox will be so kind, though, will remain to be seen.

Now glad I only bought the season 1 box. Had considered buying more and just thought "there'll probably be a collection that will work out much chepear than the individuals, and this show isn't particularly high on my must-have-now list anyway."

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Why is it that studios continue to screw fans of their shows who are collecting them. What they need to do is offer fans who have already purchased these sets previously to allow us to acquire these bonus featuires on a separate disk or something.

I bought the sets because I love the show but as fans of this show 20th Century Fox should give those of who already own these sets an opportunity to order the bonus features as a separate disk. There's no reason why I would consider buying the ultimate set when I already own the previous sets.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
This does suck... This is the second time Fox did something like this... the first being Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Chosen Collection. Atleast with that series there was some extras with the first sets... but M*A*S*H don't have any extras what so ever... I for one will not repurchase 10 seasons of M*A*S*H just to get the extras.

If FOX keeps this up some ppl will end up just waiting for a complete series release of their shows and then the season sets won't sell as well and we will not see complete series being released because sales are down! Makes no sense at all! :angry:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Pete Battista. I'm definately going to stop buying Fox DVD's if this is the way they are going to continue to do business. They stand to lose more money if fans just wait and decide not to buy any DVD's until at the end when they release that Ultimate Collection. I'm OUTRAGED over this.

The execs at Fox should be flogged for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks