What's new

speakers for around $1000 (1 Viewer)

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
I know that this is asked all of the time, but there is SO much information out there, it's hard to make a decision. I am currently looking to upgrade my home theater speakers, which is a 7.1 set up, my room is 23'x13', w/ an 8' ceiling. I currently have the Onkyo HT -R530 HTIB 7.1 set up, but plan to upgrade my receiver when the 1.3 HDMI receivers come out later this fall. I have about a $1000 to spend, give or take a few hundred. I also own a 50" plasma Philips PF509630 HDTV, PS3, XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD player, and HD Digital cable box. I am currently thinking of the Infiniti Beta and cascade series, don't know which one people think sounds better, but I am also very open minded to other brands of speakers. What do you think will give me the best "bang for my buck", in other words, what speakers would you guys recommend for good, clean, clear sound. I live in a condo, so LOUD is not what i'm after, but rather just plain old good sound at the lower to midddle sound levels. It will be used primarily for movies and cable T.V. Also, do you think I need to upgrade the sub that I currently have, or is the one I have adequate? Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time!!!

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
if your in a condo and you cant go loud, you may not need to upgrade your sub. However, if you want to feel like its louder, I'd recommend getting some Bass Shakers and bolting them to your furniture. 2 shakers and an amp to run them is roughly $160. its a great investment IMO. Certainly adds more realism to whatever your listening to.

For speakers you don't need to go big obviously. but there are brands in that price range such as

SVSand HTD

They both get good reviews on this forum for the most part. I have the SVS ones in my bedroom, I love them, such clarity. before I used to have to turn up and down the volume at night to hear dialog, I don't anymore.

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Thanks for the reply and suggestion, the reason I was interested in the Infiniti Beta series was because of the fact that they had di-pole surrounds, I don't know if this is needed or better, but from what i've read they are the way to go. My surround speakers will be all mounted on the side walls, just above the listener's heads, and behind them, still on the side walls, as that's where i have my current speakers located now. I am looking into the SVS speakers, and am interested in those as well. So many choices... any more input/recommendations would be great!!!!

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i'll add my standard best deal package to the list. that's the psb alpha c package from saturday audio. for $850 you get 5 alpha c's and the monitor audio sub. for you're 7.1 add a pair of dipoles for around $200, i'd suggest athena, monitor audio or cambridge soundworks. if you want more bass get the 5 alphas c's ($600) and order the svs pb10($430 or $375). it'll push you over the $1000 mark by a little but you'll have more power and a lower low end.

next on the list are the monitor audio bronze series, also from saturday audio. 2 sets of b1 bookshelves, 1 pair dipoles and a center for about $780. then add the monitor sub for under $300 (asw100), or for more bass go for the svs.

a great value are the athena products from audio advisor. $915 gets you 2 pair as-b1 bookshelves, 1 pair bipole surrounds, 1 center and the P6000 sub. again, for $75-130 more you can get more bass w/ svs.

finally there are various packages from svs on their speakers and subs, just no di/bi poles.

good luck

ladyg11

Agent
Real Name
gail
Wow. I found this thread and thought "they are reading my mind." I've been bit by the home theatre bug and I'm shopping for a system for around $1000 for my entry level soon to be home theatre. I got "infected" on the idea in a matter of days. It all started with a recently purchased Samsung 50 inch rear projection HDTV. Beautiful picture!! After watching that awhile I started to long for big sound to go with a big screen. That longing went from a $200 surround system to wanting to just jump on in and start setting up a home theatre. I had already looked at the SVS system and was just about ready to purchase, but I looked at your other suggestion, the HTDs - slightly a little more than the SVS system but I like the floor standing surrounds - it gives it more of that theatre look. Now I have to make a decision.
Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I'll have pics to upload in a couple of months!!!

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Does anybody have the Infiniti Beta Series speakers? I don't know why, but i'm drawn towards these speakers, and I especially like the fact that they have dipole surrounds. Also, another question, for a 7.1 audio set up, do you have all 4 surround speakers as dipoles? Or do you just use the 2 middle surrounds as dipoles, and regular surrounds for the back 2? Thanks for your help!!

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
it can be done either way, but generally rear surrounds are regular, monopole, bookshelves. if nothing else, it's easier to set up this way.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
The new SVS systems are pretty nice, and the subs ROCK harder than any htib you'll ever stumble across at those prices.

I just ordered some of the SCS speakers from there myself.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would second the recommendation for HTD and SVS. I'd go with HTD Level 2 Bookshelfs and Center in either 5.1 or 7.1 configuration and either PB10 or PB12-NSD (both available as Overstock in white and silver). I personally would go with 5 speakers and the better PB12-NSD sub but if you really feel the need for 7.1 the PB10 will do extremely well also.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You can always turn the volume down... better to have more than you'll use and back off on the volume knob... if you really think keeping the volume in check will be a problem you could probably make due w/ a Dayton Sub120 and step up on the speakers... HTD Level 3 bookshelfs and Center perhaps.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's ironic you say that... I drive a '04 GTO! It is hard to stay off the gas and I'm always careful not to get a ticket, but I'd rather have the power there and have to control it as opposed to driving a Nissan Sentra or some other 4-banger.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Anyone have any opinions on the PSB Alpha Cs vs the SVS SCS-01 speakers? They both seem to get support from folks around here and they're about the same price (if you get the silver or white overstock from SVS).

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

That's like saying marry the least attractive girl you can find so you aren't always preoccupied with sex :laugh:

Honestly, get the best equipment (sub, speakers) you possibly can for your money, you don't have to listen to all at reference levels. Not that the x-sub is bad vs. the SVS, just that your reasoning here is a little wongo.

MikeNg

Second Unit
No, actually reasoning is correct. You buy the right equipment for the room/environment. I did not say to compromise on the quality of the equipment. When you use tactile transducers in conjunction with a subwoofer you get the benefit of the 'feel' of the sub without having to turn it up so that the entire room gets energized (which would be a BAD thing for an apartment).

So why stop at consumer grade gear? Why not get the pro stuff - it's better!

Because THAT would be poor reasoning, improper application, and would be 'wongo'.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Depending on how comfy you are with your neighbors you can work with them. I have a comparable situation but I told my neighbors that I'm getting an HT setup and I got their emails and told them that I'd send out a goodly warning if I plan to watch something at explosive theater levels. Then if they object they can let me know. This means you can't watch every movie like that, which is a bummer. But I'm also buying the system I'll use when I have a bigger place. I mean we'll see how it works out but they seemed appreciative of the effort at least. Just a thought because I want to blow up my apt with big bass but I too have close neighbors whom I don't want upset.

I mean just by the very fact that SVS exists, how can you not want a powerful (and affordable) 12" sub?

MikeNg

Second Unit
You should have all your neighbors OVER when you're watching movies. That way you have no neighbors to bother!

seasherm

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the SVS speakers and similarly price retail speakers?

I too am in the hunt for good quality 5.1 system between $1000 - $1500 max.

Luna5

Agent
Real Name
Bob Buettner

I have a pair of Infinity Beta 50's and a C360 center channel speaker and they are excellent. Can't comment on the dipole surrounds as I'm using my former front channel speakers ( old DCM Time Windows) as my surrounds. The Beta's have a very wide and smooth frequency response and are easy to drive to good listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks