1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

space balls - nose gag

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrettV, Aug 12, 2001.

1. BrettV

BrettV Well-Known Member

Did anybody notice that on the Spaceballs DVD, at the part where dark helmet threatens to give princess vespa back here old nose, it is completely cut off in the picture? (the screen cuts it off) .. and in BOTH WIDESCREEN AND PAN/scan ... What the heck?? Why did they do that?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Apparently, they made the same mistake on the widescreen LD (it may be the same transfer). A lot of people commented on this when the DVD was first released, but nothing came of it. After all, it's an MGM disc. [​IMG]
    M.

3. Britton

Britton Well-Known Member

The nose gag is still on the transfer, it's just that the overscan on TV sets cuts it off. I can see the gag when I play it on my computer.
    However, I agree 100% withy you that it is ridiculous that MGM messed it up. They should've framed it so that everyone sees the nosegag, even with the overscan on TV sets.
    ------------------

4. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Well-Known Member

I believe MGM did the right thing. You get the movie the way it was filmed using the full horizontal resolution that NTSC can provide. My dream wish is that more TV's have underscan capability, which allows you to see the whole picture. I believe, perhaps mistakenly, that most front projection systems as well as computers do this naturally.

5. Michael Reuben

6. Lannie Lorence

"Not quite sure what you mean there, since the disc isn't 16:9-enhanced"
    That's why I said "horizontal" resolution.

7. StephenT

StephenT Well-Known Member

I was in Germany when this movie came out because my dad was in the Army. I saw it in a theater there, and it was framed wrong. The nose was cut off, and none of us in the theater could figure out why the princess was so upset about getting back her old nose. I didn't get the joke until I saw the movie on VHS. How sad is that?
    ------------------
    Stephen

8. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Well-Known Member

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Well-Known Member

I remember this topic coming up when the LD first came out; it was discussed fairly heavily on usenet's laserdisc group. One of the people who weighed in had been a projectionist when the film first came out. Seeing that scene, he went in and checked the film itself. It was, in fact, framed to the edge so that the nose would 'continue off into the next theatre.'
    He pointed out a couple of other things that were off-center, seemingly intentionally. If I remember right, the "may the schwartz be with you" at the end was off-center, but it's been a while since (a) I've watched the Ld, and (b) I read the thread.
    Leo Kerr
    Lkerr1@alumni.umbc.edu

10. Michael Reuben

11. Lannie Lorence

One of the ways of fixing the problem would have been to slightly windowbox the right side of the frame. You would then be able to see the nose better. However, you would have suffered a slight lose in resolution due to the smaller picture area. That's what I meant but didn't really explain.
    [Edited last by Lannie Lorence on August 13, 2001 at 07:52 PM]

12. Michael Reuben

13. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Well-Known Member

Andrew Radke
    I know this topic's about 2 years old now but I just bought the DVD of Spaceballs today and just finished watching it. I noticed the error in the scene as well, but after reading all of these replies, I guess I'm sort of relieved that it was the way it was originally filmed. I also noticed at the end when the screen flashes "MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU" that it was somewhat off-kilter. Was wondering if anyone had any comments about this. I only paid $13 (CDN) for it so I'm not overly-concerned, but still, if it was an error in part of the people who put it together, I'd love to see a fixed special edition perhaps in the forseeable future.

14. BrettV

BrettV Well-Known Member

has this ever been fixed on subsequent releases? Just curious.

15. DaveRU

DaveRU Well-Known Member

Yeah the subsequent Collector's Edition with anamorphic transfer fixes it somewhat [​IMG]

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    [​IMG]
    Looks pretty "fixed" to me. This thread is almost seven years old. Move along.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Well-Known Member

James Perry
    It's interesting that some don't get the joke reguardless of how it is framed on the DVD. This kind of nose joke is pretty standard. Rich girl...nose job. That's always gone together like peas and carrots, for me anyway.

18. Haggai

Haggai Well-Known Member

And it's not just a rich girl getting a nose job, but a "Druish princess" getting one...[​IMG]

19. Radioman970

Radioman970 Well-Known Member

James Perry
    Good thing this Mel is Druish...erm, Jewish. We can laugh! May the schwartz be witch cha! [​IMG]

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I think it's hilarious that her first name on the photo is "Princess".