What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Soylent Green, Omega Man, Demon Seed, THX 1138, Collosus,other 70s Scifi (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so does MGM or Warner Bros own Demon Seed?

I read the other thread on this and there seemed to be no concensus on who had it now.

I want to see this; this was about the only Koontz adaption to make it to the big screen.

And Julie Christie is hot. :b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
this was about the only Koontz adaption to make it to the big screen.
Since my wife is a **GIANT** Koontz fan I happen to have a list in front of me that proves your statement to be in error! :D
Demon Seed, Watchers, Whispers, Servants of Twilight, Hideaway, Phantoms, Watchers Reborn, and the uncredited-to-Koontz Funhouse were all on the big screen, according to this list right here. I don't know how deeply researched it is, but the TV movies and miniseries seem to be only Face of Fear, Intensity, Mr. Murder, Sole Survivor, & Black River.
Which are on DVD?

So, there's room not only for Demon Seed - his best - but also for some others as well. Koontz fans are INTENSE, I've discovered! ;)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Was The Funhouse based on a Koontz short story or novel?
It looks neat.

Also, I'd like to see INTENSITY which I don't think even made it to VHS.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm interested in Soylent Green, but not the other titles.

Like nearly all of the Turner library, it needs remastering...

It's not WB's fault, but why the heck did Turner feel like he had to merge with WB? If the Turner company was still an indie, we'd be seeing those titles be released like crazy. (and without the AOL mindset, which is the source of the problem)

THX is going to be a really big problem for DVD. WB, Zoetrope, and Lucasfilm all own the film. So there's no telling how tangled the rights are.

Plus, IMO, it'll need considerable remastering due to it being a Techniscope film.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Larry P, yes, THE FUNHOUSE is based on a book by Koontz that goes by the same name. The movie is quite different from the book though. The movie is an excellent and VERY underrated horror classic in my opinion, and it is directed by the same guy who directed THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, Tobe Hooper. I highly recommend this classic film, and the book on which it is based! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
The rights of THX 1138 can't be too tangled, it made it's way to VHS so why not DVD? Although the VHS isn't OAR, it's a decent transfer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just a note here that the book "Funhouse" was originally released under one of Koontz's alternate pen names, Owen West. Later it was rereleased under his own name, though.

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to recall Amazon.com having Omega Man
listed for release on Jan. 1, 2010. Looks like that's
how long we'll be waiting for this one. I'd buy
it and Soylent Green and also Phase IV.
As Phase IV is a Paramount title, it stands a
better chance of DVD release sometime this decade
than those held by Warner.:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Note that the 1/1/2010 date is Amazon's standard "we don't have a specific new date, it's been postponed indefinately" entry that they put in their database whenever this situation occurs. It means nothing, so disregard it.

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
The student short film version of THX-1138 (The Electric Maze or something) is available on Short Cinema Journal #11.
I think it is #11 that is.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I like most of the sci-fi titles mentioned in this thread, but what about Saturn 3?!?!?
(Dave- Has your wife seen Watchers 2? It's actually closer to the book than Watchers 1 was! :laugh: )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
An open-matte DVD of Saturn 3 has been on the market for quite some time, Scott! In fact, it is now discountinued.
Link Removed
So, do you want it for Farrah's teat or for Kirk's butt? :D

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Man I'm so glad I've held on to my Laserdisc collection! I have "Soylent Green" and "Colossus: The Forbin Project" in all their widescreen glory! I've missed my chance to pick up "The Omega Man" though despite it being a mediocre movie...

But just like everyone else, I'm perplexed as to why none of these titles haven't been released on DVD yet. Is it possible the remaining prints are so severely damaged that they're no longer salvageable? When I bought "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" on DVD, I noticed the image and sound were very similar to the transfer from the Laserdisc copy I purchased many years ago. It's as if I bought the exact same video release for the second time. Are the studios starting to use old Laserdisc transfers to create some of their current DVD releases?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Studios must feel these films have no merit.
Just because a film isn't on DVD doesn't mean the studio HATES it. Would you think the studio held more merit to the film if they used a 1980's P&S transfer or a high-def OAR transfer with restored picture and sound? 99.9% of DVD buyers want a well made product as opposed to a rush job.

Just take one look at some of the recent non-OAR DVDs from Disney and Columbia and just try to find some proof that they actually put some effort into them.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Yea, good call for Demon Seed to come out on DVD. Julie Christie was defiitely hot in her hey day. Another movie about machine wanting to be more than just a machine, wanting to be more like man. I can't tell you how many countless times I watched this movie along with Omega Man and Soylent Green on my local channel's Friday and Saturday late night Horror Theatre show. These movies all succeeded as being a little weird, off beat and creepy.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
PatrickMcCart, I didn't say HATE. I said Merit, meaning its not that important to them!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just because a film isn't on DVD doesn't mean the studio HATES it. Would you think the studio held more merit to the film if they used a 1980's P&S transfer or a high-def OAR transfer with restored picture and sound? 99.9% of DVD buyers want a well made product as opposed to a rush job.
Well, with Warner putting out DVDs of films like The Swarm and The Prince & the Showgirl before hundreds of much more deserving films, your arguement doesn't hold much weight.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I would also like to see some more 70's TV Movies & Series.

Project U.F.O. (1978)
Sixth Sense, The (1972)
Starlost, The (1973)
Chill Factor, The (1972) (TV)
Crowhaven Farm (1970) (TV)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) (TV)
Fear No Evil (1969) (TV)
Good Against Evil (1977) (TV)
Harnessing the Sun (1980)
Haunts of the Very Rich (1972) (TV)
Home for the Holidays (1972) (TV)
House That Would Not Die, The (1970) (TV)
Live Again, Die Again (1974) (TV)
Norliss Tapes, The (1973) (TV)
Planet Earth (1974) (TV)
Possessed, The (1977) (TV)
Questor Tapes, The (1974) (TV)
Ritual of Evil (1969) (TV)
Severed Arm, The (1975)
Shape of Things to Come, The (1979)
Spectre (1977) (TV)
Tribe, The (1974) (TV)
Vampire (1979) (TV)
The World Beyond (1978) TV
Planet Earth (1974)(TV)(Warner Bros
Genesis II (1973)(TV)Warner Bros

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PHASE IV is a terrific film up until the final moments, which fail because they feel rushed and truncated. But it's still a wonder of a movie and I'd love to have a DVD to replace the crappy VHS copy I own (it was never released to laser). I do not believe George Lucas has any say over what happens with THX-1138. This was made before he had any control over his films (as was AMERICAN GRAFITTI), so Warner can do with it whatever it wants, and when.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks