South Park - The Return of Chef!, COMEDY Mar 24 12:00am
South Park - The Return of Chef!, COMEDY Mar 24 11:00pm
South Park - The Return of Chef!, COMEDY Mar 26 03:00am
South Park - The Return of Chef!, COMEDY Mar 26 11:00pm

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I don't think it had anything to do with legal - I think the Super Adventure Club was another creative way for Parker and Stone to slam Scientology and what happened in the last few weeks.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it was like "Ok, we won't make fun of Scientology anymore, but we WILL make of of the Super Adventure Club, this way you won't have anything to get offended over." ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think that coming up with "Super Adventure Club" was really clever (and I don't understand how anyone could think that it was anything other than a barely indirect slam on Scientology).

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hahaha! I thought this episode rocked. I was posting in the S9 thread thinking I was the first person to post about the episode. Yeah, I'm a tool! I honestly think because of the sideways approach to bashing Hayes and Scientology, the episode was actually BETTER than some of their direct approaches.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Stan's eulogy was absolutely brilliant, since he wasn't talking about Chef at all, but really Isaac Hayes. And clearly that "fruity little club" was Scientology. They NEVER cease to amaze me. And when Chef's face was pulled off, I thought, "Just when you think they've gone too far, they go just a little bit farther." Wow!

Tino D'Voe

Agent
Strange episode, I was a bit dissapointed with it until the end.

I wish they were a little more severe with trashing scientology. In the end however, they killed chef off in the worst way possible, and they kept him as a character for the show as Darth Chef! They'll never need Isaac's voice again!

That's making the best of a bad situation and if they stay creative, they may have some good episodes to play with in the future.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Told him what? He left the show, seemingly because of his scientology affiliation.

I think whatever they wanted to "tell him" was covered in their response in the press to his press statement (and in this episode).

Or do you mean did they tell him they were using his voice (from previous episodes) in this one?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Oh man! That was definitely a weird episode! Just when you think they found a way to keep him, they pull a Star Wars switcheroo! Now I know why they added that ridiculous rope bridge.

Kudos on their turnover abilities although they did have more time to finish this one. But it's still nice to know they'll stick out their necks to cover recent events.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
We don't get Comedy Central on my cable service, and The Comedy Network is still running Season 9. (In this case) thank goodness for peer-to-peer. The episode's already circulating.

I like the way they riffed Chef's old dialogue, blatantly obvious that they intended to string the phrases regardless of inflection. That weirded me out (in a good way) more than the "Super Adventure Club".

The revision of the classic "OMGTKK! YB!" for Chef sounded a lot more sincere than as a running joke. Best moment, there...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My favorite part of the episode was after Chef was killed and Cartman said, "Maybe he's still okay. They say the last thing you do before you die is crap your...[Chef craps his pants]...oh, never mind." :laugh: :laugh:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That line was actually in an earlier episode (the Wall-mart episode). In fact, I think Cartman said it then too!

(A nearly identical line was also in an episode of Action.)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, I saw that episode too. Chef crapping his pants was the best part, not Cartman's line, but it was a great compliment. But up until that point, I thought the episode was pretty dull.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Just a brilliant episode. I laughed out loud all the way through! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Um, they basically called Scientologists brainwashing child-molesters throughout the entire episode! That was pretty rough, in my book.:)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"We don't get Comedy Central on my cable service, and The Comedy Network is still running Season 9."

Actually that's a good thing right now. It means we get to see "locked in a closet" again.

Next friday I think..

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks