What's new

Solaris - Am I Alone on This One? (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
Watched the remake of Solaris last night. I did not see the original but I knew the plot basics.

I thought the movie was really great. I can't believe how little attention it has gotten. Where are the DVD reviews? I'm shocked noone here did a review. What a shame, its a great looking disk. Some shots are a bit soft (I'm using a Front Projection DLP) but the FX shots are simply incredible.

I went in thinking I'd fall asleep at least twice trying to watch it, but that was not the case.

Great score too BTW.

What a shame the film is ignored! Don't flame me, but I'd put it up there with Gattica.

- Todd

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Yep, criminally ignored.

A terrific film, with many stylistic nods to Stanley Kubrick. It's an existential idea movie, which explains its failure with today's audiences.

I'd just feel so much better about things if a film like this could succeed now and then...

--Jack

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Gorgeous to look at, with a great soundtrack, and a complete mindjob of a story. I love it :) It certainly deserved to be a hit.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Yeah,

I came here and TheDigitalBits looking for the DVD review and found that people took the time to look at Scooby Doo, the Flintstones, and Dawn of the Dead but no Solaris? Oh well. Beautiful disk.

RottenTomatoes rates it at a respectable 64%. Better than most for such an ignored film.

Maybe if Jerry Bruckheimer had produced it.....

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I'm with you. This movie is great, and deserves to get much more attention than it has. I would kill for a SE of this with Soderbergh's original cut and some more extras. I was really hoping for something in the way of an hour-long documentary on this. Maybe someday...Criterion? Solaris 1972/Solaris 2002. Like The Killers dvd set. That would be a bucketfull of zest right there.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
For some reason, this movie didn't stick with me at all. I just saw it a couple of months ago, and I can't remember a THING about it -- not even whether I liked it or not!

I remember more about the original version, which I saw about 15 years ago. Go figure. . .

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I loved it too, was well shot, acted, story was involving and bizarre. Really something you need to wrap your mind around. I need to get the original now...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I enjoyed it too and recommend it to anyone interested in "old school sci-fi" without big 'splosions and the like. The only trivial thing that bugs me is Clooney's improper (and unsafe) vegetable cutting technique. Hello! Are you TRYING to sever a digit?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It isn't. There's a multi-page discussion thread in the Movies forum. As for the DVD, I believe it came out around the time the current HTF panel of reviewers was being assembled. That led to a gap in DVD reviews. But members supplied their comments in this thread.

The search function is a magical thing. :)

M.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I just saw this for the second time last month. Very good movie. I really enjoyed it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I intended to watch the original first, but found the remake used and picked it up. I agree that this film deserved more attention then it was given. Great dvd and yeah, the music score rocked!!!

Recommended!!

Matt_P

Second Unit
Count me in on this one, too. I've been singing this film's praises for a long time. If you notice, I started the initial thread on this DVD (see Michael's link).

Great film. Brilliant score by Cliff Martinez.

Nice to see others discovering this gem.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I like SOLARIS. The Russian version is interesting, but it is slow in a hypnotic way (wrote an article/review on that movie in addition to a DVD review later on for my site). The new version is interesting because it is a new adaptation of the Stanislaw Lem novel while being also a remake of the Russian movie. I want the SE of the new SOLARIS so bad.

The thing that gets me is that I heard of a third version of SOLARIS over at the forums for a great SOLARIS site taht doesn't exist anymore (and i have no idea of what the forum address is). Supposedly there was a TV adaptation based on the Polish sci-fi novel made for Polish TV in the 1960s. Alas there isn't that much info on whether said poster was telling the truth (since there isn't any info on the internet to back up the existence of third version of SOLARIS). However I give some leeway since every movie or TV show isn't listed on the internet (and some may not have that much info on them).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I've seen (and own) them both. The remake is much clearer to follow, but left me disappointed once I compared it to the Tarkovsky original. I've watched the original three or four times (it takes that many to really begin to appreciate it). The biggest criticism that I've read is the 1972 is very slow moving. Honestly, after rewatching it I'd almost prefer it move a bit slower...to let the sensations completely overwhelm the viewer. '72 is just full of wonder and awe once you see it...and emotion. They were present in the remake, but not so much.

Michael Bee

Auditioning
This is one of those movies that I saw and loved, but none of my friends liked it at all. I was kind of shocked that almost everyone around me hated the film!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Absolutely loved it... everything about it. Just sublime. And that music! I've owned the soundtrack for well over a year, and I still listen to it several nights a week as I drift off to sleep.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
maybe i am alone on thisone, i hated it. ive seen the original many times and love it.
hmm, i wonder who that could have been...:)

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks