What's new

Sleeping Beauty 2-Disc SE cover art and specs (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Forgive me, but is this the Disney feature that was animated in two different formats - 1.33:1 and 2.35:1? I believe I do have a 2.35:1 letterboxed LD (which I haven't seen in a while. Have to check it out again).

What's the aspect ratio, or are they including both versions?

Cheers,
Felix

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Sleeping Beauty was not recomposed for 4:3 during production(like Lady & the Tramp), so the only proper OAR is 2.35 (or possibly 2.55:1 per the discussion going on in another thread).

The 2.35:1 laserdisc (regular or SE) was an excellent transfer with a DD5.1 track that was reportedly pretty faithful to the original mag stereo track.

Regards,

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
According to imdb and a documentary I saw, SB was filmed in Super Technirama 70mm and the aspect ratio is 2.20:1, 2.35:1 for 35mm prints. Personally, I hope the transfer is from the 70mm print.

James Reader

Screenwriter
What's left out of the overseas 2-disc editions? And huge thumbs-up to Disney for that widescreen/pan-and-scan comparison!
Nothing is left out. It is exactly the same spec as the international 2 disc editions. I simply stated I was hoping for more from the R1 release being as it has been held back.

Incidentally, my French 2 disc Peter Pan shipped today. Should have it by Friday!

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
James
I was under the impression that the R1 might get a new transfer or something? I've not got the UK R2 (was waiting for R1 specs!) but some people were complaining about the state of the picture.

Also what's this about a 2-disc Peter Pan?! Can you provide specs?

thanks
Rich

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The laserdisc box set had a two channel analog dolby surround that was a remix and was NOT faithful to the original mix. However the 4.0 track on the laser was the original mix.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The laserdisc box set had a two channel analog dolby surround that was a remix and was NOT faithful to the original mix. However the 4.0 track on the laser was the original mix.
Thanks Joe. I used the word "reportedly" since I have never seen it in theaters myself. I had been told by others that the DD track was pretty close to the theatrical mix and it certainly sounds like it due to telltale signs like not having all of the dialog collapsed to mono a la the "Lady & the Tramp" remixes. For what it's worth, "The Black Cauldron" DVD DD track sounds like a repurposed original theatrical mix as well.

Regards,

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Regarding Disney cover art-too bad they cannot follow the pattern which they used for LDs:
The standard bones-only edition with the juvenile cover art for the family, and for the collector sets, Disney would usually make the cover a bit more graphically sophisticated or interesting.

Too bad we cant get the French Cover...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm just wondering what is the point in having Platinum Editions when we have something like this that's packed with features spanning 2 discs, is fully restored, and is a favorite catalog title from the Disney vault? What's the real difference between this and a Platinum Edition?

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I agree, Jonathan. It is interesting that several of the other releases are coming somewhat close to looking like the other "Platinum" releases. Not that I am complaining. When the Platinum titles were first announced, I was appalled that "Sleeping Beauty" was not on that list. I think it certainly deserves Platinum status over things like "Aladdin".

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I hope they get rid of the "shimmer" you see (scan-line artifacting) that was present on the laserdisc that that I understand is still visible on some of the non-R1 versions.

it better be 16x9 WS and it better look like film!!!

dave :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering what is the point in having Platinum Editions when we have something like this that's packed with features spanning 2 discs, is fully restored, and is a favorite catalog title from the Disney vault? What's the real difference between this and a Platinum Edition?
Planned obsolesence. :)

Seriously, the known moratorium dates. Disney's business strategy is that if they publicize that these big, important titles won't be available for ten years, more people will buy them in a four month period than otherwise would over a long time period. Debate on the merits of this strategy tends to be emotional and somewhat one-sided.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When the Platinum titles were first announced, I was appalled that "Sleeping Beauty" was not on that list. I think it certainly deserves Platinum status over things like "Aladdin".
IIRC, the list of 10 Platinum titles was basically "of the 40-ish Disney 'masterpiece' animated films, which ten of them has made us the most money?"

And, if IIRC, Sleeping Beauty was #11 on that list.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought that when the laser was announced just about 5 years ago that an option to choose what aspect ratio you wanted was available.

plus the art on the cover of the wide laser would also be tons better then the dvd. but it wont stop me from getting it.

cant wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks