What's new

Simpsons Season 6 alternate box revealed (1 Viewer)

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Mark. When they first came out I was all about getting the normal packaging, but I waited to buy season 6 anyway. When I did get it I went online to get the form to obtain the regular box, but after a time the Homer head kind of grew on me and I did think the different packaging was kind of cool to have.

When I was finally ready to buy season 7 all I could find was the regular box. Fortunately, Circuit City online was still selling the Marge head so I bought that and the Maggie head. I now am hoping they plan on continuing with the heads after Bart and Lisa are done. I want an Apu head, a Mr. Burns head and a Krusty head at the very least.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt that they'll continue with the heads after the 10th box set- it doesn't seem like many people are into the boxes, and I bet that it's costly to make the head box set and the normal box set. I'm sure that they'll make a different type of packaging for the 11th one, onwards.
-James

I realize this is nowhere near scientific, but looking at the rankings at Amazon, I think more people are buying the heads than it would appear from posts here.

Maggie Head (Season 8)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #34 in DVD

Season 8 Box
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #53 in DVD

I realize these rankings change all the time, but it was interesting to me when I noticed it this morning.

BTW, I just bought the Maggie Head myself.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that they will stop after season 10, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the popularity (or lack of, as you suggest).

So I ask, why do you assume that many people aren't into the box heads? Because a bunch of people here don't like it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Love them or hate them, the heads are stocked more at stores because they sell better. The average consumer (someone who doesn't have OCD over how their DVDs look on a shelf) thinks they're a fun change of pace even if the collectors hate them.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm a collector and I bought the heads. Big fun.
(I have the special versions of The Ring too. Didn't destroy the boxes.)

The Marge Head version is very difficult to come by at the moment - must be extremely popular.

Cees

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well "Collectors" come in all types...

As far as my style of collecting goes, these are great for us 'collectors' because we like anything odd and unusual (i.e. different).

I guess it just depends on what kind of collector you are. Those who want uniform in the entire series, they want the boxes, while those who like collecting 'cool' DVD sets, we want the heads.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Well I guess that I've been proven wrong about the head thing, I was just going off what collectors have said around the net, and I personally would rather have the box, since it still has a little head inside it, or at least it does for us here in Australia. I'm sure that the heads will sell well, but I prefer the boxes. Oh, BTW- has everyone heard about Steve Irwin? He died this morning after he was poisoned by a stingray. It's so sad. RIP Steve Irwin.
-James

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is a very very old thread /// but can consumers still get the replacement case for the HOMER Head? I really hate the head case and it just doesn't work on a shelf and is really cheap.

Or do you think stores are stocking the replacement yet? I woudl think the HOMER head would have to run out of stock sooner or later.

Thanks for any info.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

This is a very very old thread /// but can consumers still get the replacement case for the HOMER Head? I really hate the head case and it just doesn't work on a shelf and is really cheap.

Or do you think stores are stocking the replacement yet? I woudl think the HOMER head would have to run out of stock sooner or later.

Thanks for any info.

I still see the head version on the shelf occasionally but have never seen the box. Amazon doesn't even have it anymore.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah I noticed Amazon.com had a listing for the BOX style case but only sellers listing it for sale. Which could be a toss up since none of them specify which cover it is. Same for sellers on Ebay - I think they just think oh 6th season and just use the listing.

Will keep looking cause that Homer Head is worse than a Oscar mayer bolonga Package haha.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I never see the head anymore--but I see the alternate box all the time in stores. Check out Target; they often have the old sets on sale (maybe even this week) and you can generally find the more standard box easily.

In fact, if I'd known they were going to do that, I would've waited to purchase S6, because even the alternate box that I sent away for is awkward; the bottom isn't level and it opens from the top which is a pain. Every time I see the regular box in stores, I consider getting it just because I can't stand the original but since I already have the discs it just isn't a priority purchase.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
That is good to know, but every store I go to in the Twin Cities area in MN seems to have Season 6 as the Homer head. Includes Target Best Buy and Walmart. I will keep my eyes open for it.. the remaining seasons are easy to find in the reg packaging all the time, just that horrid Homer head it will haunt me forever. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks