What's new

Simon and Simon Season 3 Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I didn't see that two-part episode title there. I scrolled down through that list and didn't see that two-parter in the Season 4 episode list.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Do Shout! Factory have a contact email address for asking questions regarding DVD releases and feedback etc.?

Not long now till the third season is released. This was the show's highest rated season, finishing 5th overall for the 1983-84 season with a 23.8 rating (it pipped Magnum, p.i. to 5th, which finished 6th with a 22.4 rating). My source is a book called The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows (12th Anniversary Edition, covering 1946 - Present (the 1998-99 season) by Tim Brooks & Earle Marsh.

Did Simon & Simon's format change over the years, like with Hawaii Five-O moving it's teaser to after the main cast title sequence?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Shout! Factory have dropped a clanger (it's a saying in the UK when something has been missed) with the Season 3 set. I've not long found out whilst reading a customer review of Simon & Simon's third season, on the Amazon.com page for the third season boxset, that they did a crossover with another show other than Magnum, p.i. They did a crossover story with a show called Whiz Kids, which lasted for just one season.

Jameson Parker guest-starred on the Whiz Kids episode "Deadly Access" (Season 1, Episode 3), which aired on CBS on Wednesday 26th October, 1983 at 8 pm. The story continued on the following night (Thursday 27th October, 1983) at 9 pm on CBS with Matthew Laborteaux guest starring in the Simon & Simon episode "Fly the Alibi Skies" (Season 3, Episode 5).

Do Shout! Factory know about this crossover with Whiz Kids?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
According to Gord Lacey, he doesn't think that Shout even knew of this crossover with Whiz Kids.

From what little I've discovered, this Whiz Kids/Simon and Simon crossover wasn't actually a two-part crossover. Simon and Simon made a guest appearance on Whiz Kids, maybe as an effort to boost its ratings, where Simon and Simon bumped into the Whiz Kids during an investigation that each was conducting. The Whiz Kids would return that favor, later in the (first) season of their own show, and before their show was canceled, and make an appearance on Simon and Simon. These two episodes, in each series, was a single plot episode which was self contained in each show.

I think they might have done this to boost the ratings in the Whiz Kids TV series. While I remember Magnum, Simon and Simon, Murder She Wrote, Quincy, McCloud, Columbo and some others, I did not know of this Whiz Kids TV series. I don't think many did. It was just a cheap gimmick to entrance teenagers into watching the series and an effort to snag onto fans of Magnum and Simon and Simon.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Someone on Amazon said the crossover was included. I guess they were just speculating it would be, rather than it actually being on the set.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I just hope they will continue to release the simon and simon series. I have the first two season and would like to collect the complete series.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The best bet would be to check out Shout's message forums on their own website but I seriously doubt it. Also, I would bet that the rest of the series is coming. I think you're jumping the gun on the future releases. Universal released the first set and Shout has released two sets in relatively short time. I would say that we should expect Season 4 to be released in the first quarter of 2010.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I know. You can't start complaining about the studio releasing the sets until you give them time to release them. Younger, at least give Shout time to release each season before commenting.

Simon and Simon Season 2 was released in February of 2009.
Simon and Simon Season 3 gets released in August of 2009.

Give Shout Factory a chance to release the sets. This is something new to them.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will be interesting yours and anybody else's comments on the Season 3 set. I ordered a copy of Season 2 from Amazon US recently. When I received it in the post I found the outer box case wasn't dented. Tested the discs out, and finally the set played perfectly fine and there were no broken pieces of plastic in the cases!

What was interesting was it looked to me like the episodes had been digitally remastered. Either that or the print quality of the second season episodes haven't worsened since they were originally shown in the US during the 1982-83 season.

I'm waiting for the Season 3 set to drop down in price before purchasing it off either Amazon US or DeepDiscount.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I hear you on the price thing. I know that Best Buy did not originally get Simon and Simon Season 2 when it was released and I ended up paying $40 for the set. I'm still waiting for Amazon or Best Buy to drop the price to under $40. Not to mention the fact that the set is due to be released soon.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
What I liked about Shout! Factory's second season boxset of Simon & Simon was the different clips used for each of the six discs. And even though it was the theme tune for the first season I liked the use of both that version and the theme tune used for the second season.

Were any changes made to Simon & Simon's title sequence, theme tune? Also, was there a 30 second teaser before the episode for the third to eighth seasons? From Dallas's 10th season onwards the episode was preceded by a 30 second recap, and before the end credits a preview of the next episode. I'm assuming they didn't do this for Simon & Simon as that wasn't a soap opera drama like Dallas.

The picture quality for Dallas changed for it's ninth season (1986-87), becoming less sharper and having a softer picture quality. They I think changed to filming on videotape. A few other US shows did the same thing (including Knots Landing, but they changed to videotape from the 1985-86 season. I read this on the SoapNet forum for Knots Landing). I'm asking this because I haven't seen any of Simon & Simon at all yet....did the way the show Simon & Simon looked change as the series went on?
Edited by WaveCrest - 8/17/2009 at 10:19 pm GMT

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I don't think they changed to videotape, it was still film, they just used a softer focus as the actors got older.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
My season set has been shipped and i should get it today or tomorrow. I order from amazon and they are pretty good with shipping the dvds.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I ordered mine at deepdiscount. It seems some had there copy ship alot earlier than mine.

Has anyone noticed the subscribe feature does not work as far as being notified via email ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks