What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (3 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also noticed the reference to Peter Gunn, which led me to visit the TMG site. A complete series set is listed as Coming Soon.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
FanCollector said:
I also noticed the reference to Peter Gunn, which led me to visit the TMG site. A complete series set is listed as Coming Soon.
I'm missing the third season and would very much like to have it. However, I may have to wait for a decent discount at Sam's. It would be interesting to find out the quality of the source prints used. The prints used by A&E weren't that good. I ended up with the first two season from region 2 that are very good quality. I was hoping the third season would come out in region 2.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The inside of the DVD sleeve for S.W.A.T.: The Final Season (Season Two) is similar to that of Shout's release of Police Woman: Season Two, in that the episode titles are listed without an episode synopsis for each episode. However, unlike the Police Woman set there are no original airdates beside the episode titles. Instead the episode titles appear alongside one another. Counted 22 episode titles on the DVD sleeve for the S.W.A.T. second season set (haven't tested the discs out yet), so I'm assuming the season premiere "Deadly Tide" and the episode later in the season, "The Running Man", are feature length episodes.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
The inside of the DVD sleeve for S.W.A.T.: The Final Season (Season Two) is similar to that of Shout's release of Police Woman: Season Two, in that the episode titles are listed without an episode synopsis for each episode. However, unlike the Police Woman set there are no original airdates beside the episode titles. Instead the episode titles appear alongside one another. Counted 22 episode titles on the DVD sleeve for the S.W.A.T. second season set (haven't tested the discs out yet), so I'm assuming the season premiere "Deadly Tide" and the episode later in the season, "The Running Man", are feature length episodes.
I watched this show when it was originally on but memory is a bit cloudy being so long ago but this sounds like another case where they were probably originally show as 2 hour specials and then later broken up as two seperate episodes for syndication. If so having the original broadcast versions would be preferable.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched a few episodes of S.W.A.T. and the quality looks about the same as the first season set from Sony. However I do appreciate that Shout! Factory put in chapter breaks, that makes a big difference to me. I haven't watched "Deadly Tide" or "Running Man" yet on this set but when I watched them on amazon direct they were aired as a feature length, no breaks. I am sure they are on this set the same way.
One episode I did check was "Silent Night, Deadly Night" because on amazon direct the sound track was really sped up. I was happy to see on this set it was normal.
So far I have been really happy and I love Shout! Factory!!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wonder if there might be any hope that Shout would pick up the LONG stalled Baretta. I'd love to get the last three seasons.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have tested out the Police Woman: Season Two set, and of what I've seen so far the colours are vibrant and not much faded. Don't know about all of the 24 episodes in this season, but of those I watched the end credits of, what I assume was the original Columbia Pictures Television logo was shown at the end of the end credits. A promo for each episode is shown at the beginning, incorporated into the show's title sequence.

However, the episodes in the S.W.A.T.: The Final Season (Season Two) set I tested out, like with Sony's first season set, there were no promos at the beginning of an episode (same with Sony's first season set of The Rookies). Was this normal with The Rookies and S.W.A.T. when originally shown on ABC?

Kojak: Season Two (only tested disc 1 out) looks quite good. But, and this is something I've noticed with other TV on DVD titles (both on Region 1 and Region 2, but moreso with Region 1), there's a sandy-like look which may be natural grain.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Tim Gregerson /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/120#post_3933969
It would be nice if they would get a move on with season 3 of police woman

If you went by the 'six months between releases' rule, then the third season of Police Woman would be getting a Region 1 release in August. How well has it been selling for Shout? It could be (and this just a guess) that it's being released in the fall/autumn (taking into consideration the film titles they're releasing in September as part of a new line).

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I tracked the numbers on Amazon from about Feb 1-14 and S2 of POLICE WOMAN did not come anywhere near the Top 100 on either the US or Canadian Amazon sites which is never a good sign. Even if Brian Ward has stated Amazon's rankings can be misleading, if at any time during the pre-order stage or during release week a release is in the Top 100, it is fair game to assume the numbers are strong enough to warrant a subsequent release (especially with an Independent like Shout--the big studios are another matter altogether--I remember MAUDE got to #16 and I thought for sure we'd see S2 but it must have sold VERY poorly in stores for them to discontinue it).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I honestly have the distinct sense that Shout isn't too pleased with how their deal with Sony for 70s hour long titles has worked. We know "Police Story" is stalled because they were already mentioning on their board (which has now become worthless thanks to a profusion of junk spam posts) that the sales needed to pick up to justify another release. We've also seen no new Sony titles announced or declared as in the works for quite some time either.
Right now, I'm more concerned with seeing more releases of "Fantasy Island" since Season 3 is the grail season for me with Joan Collins' "Cleopatra" guest shot.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
Right now, I'm more concerned with seeing more releases of "Fantasy Island" since Season 3 is the grail season for me with Joan Collins' "Cleopatra" guest shot.
I think that will happen.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thought this might be a spam Amazon.com listing, but it appears to be genuine. There's an DVD pre-order email notification listing on Amazon.com for the fifth season of Kojak. It's similar to the Amazon UK listings for titles which are available for pre-order, but are not showing the release date on the Amazon UK search results page (but the release date is shown on the listing page when you click on the heading for the title). With this though, it's just an Amazon page to see how many people are interested in a title. There is a release date on the listing page, of Tuesday 11th September. Fingers crossed this release date is correct, as it's among other newly added Shout! Factory titles, including the first two Scream Factory titles (Halloween II and Halloween III: Season of the Witch).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Shout's TV titles being released between June and September (source: Amazon.com and TVShowsOnDVD, with the exception of Kojak: Season Five):

June:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Seventh Year - Tuesday 26th June

July:

Designing Women: The Final Season (Season Seven) - Tuesday 17th July
Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Third Season - Tuesday 17th July

Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXIV - Tuesday 31st July

August:

The Adventures of Tintin: Season Three - Tuesday 21st August

The Rookies: The Complete Second Season (including the pilot movie as a DVD extra) - Tuesday 7th August

September:

Kojak: Season Five - Tuesday 11th September
Get a Life: The Complete Series - Tuesday 18th September.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Shout is quickly losing me as a customer. I wish they would at least throw in something from the 50's or early 60's in the coming months.

Gary "and people wonder why some of us are concerned about Shout taking over Timeless..." O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary OS said:
Shout is quickly losing me as a customer.  I wish they would at least throw in something from the 50's or early 60's in the coming months.  :confused:
Gary "and people wonder why some of us are concerned about Shout taking over Timeless..." O.
Gary, it has always been clear to me that Shout! has, other than the occaisional sitcom, absolutely NO commitment to "golden age" TV, I'm surprised they put out Route 66. I'm not counting on them for anything pre-1970, and am very concerned what their stewarship is going to be over TMG.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard V /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/150#post_3936144
Gary, it has always been clear to me that Shout! has, other than the occasional sitcom, absolutely NO commitment to "golden age" TV, I'm surprised they put out Route 66. I'm not counting on them for anything pre-1970, and am very concerned what their stewardship is going to be over TMG.

Agreed on all counts, Richard.

Gary "the only saving grace for me is that I have a nice library of 'golden age' TV on DVD - so if it stops tomorrow at least I've got stuff I can watch for many years to come" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm glad that "Kojak" has been fast-tracked to completion. A year ago at this time, this was one of two remaining titles from the "Universal 11" that were rolled out with big fanfare in 2005 and then began a minimum of at least 18 months without a second release (McCloud is the one other title from this group that has still not received a second release in R1). Now, one of the most important cop shows of the 70s will be completed, including the revival movies from 89-90. That to me, is cause for celebration.
As for what Shout is not doing to leave me not satisfied, the only things I can say are "Ironside" and "Marcus Welby, M.D.". Until these titles are resumed, there is always going to be a major void in terms of the output of classic Universal programs on DVD because they are significant programs in Universal's library and also in TV history in general for this Silver age of the late 60s and early 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks