What's new

Shout Factory to release Vincent Price collection! (1 Viewer)

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Anybody gotten a hold of this set yet? Interested in importing it into the UK.

DVD Beaver have got their review up and it from the screen caps at least they look like reasonably good transfers. Though I hate this growing trend for putting two films on one bluray disc.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/vincent_price_collection_blu-ray.htm

According to dvdbeaver, the UK release of The Fall of the House of Usher is not quite up to the standards of the UK Arrow transfer, but Witchfinder looks better on this set than the Uk Odeon entertainment bluray.

Would be interested in any further opinions...

- John

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only real difference i see in those Vincent Price, Fall Of The House Of Usher, caps is that the Arrow is slightly brighter/better compressed, this slight brightness boost seems to make the film grain more noticeable, definately better compression on the Arrow release, of course i am saying the Arrow has a brightness boost, i say that because i have seen this with dozens of their titles, films like Dressed To Kill are slightly brighter than the USA MGM release, either it's a brightness boost or the other company has their levels wrong, it's one or the other, Koch seems brighter too, which is correct. ?

DVD Beaver need to learn how to take screencaps and use the correct frame, several don't match up which makes it more difficult to tell things, for example grain structure, grain can look very different if you miss the correct frame.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thumbs down on this instance of two movies per disc. House of Usher gets a 39.00 Mbps bitrate from Arrow, and 24.00 from Shout!? Not to mention that the four doubled up films are the prime Poe material. What kind of a coin toss was this decided on? I've really been looking forward to this set (for years, actually) and I will probably like it a lot, but these things are disappointing.

But thanks go to Shout! for including the Overture to Usher.

Wait. Wait just a moment. Usher had an Overture? Did I know that?? Has it been on any home video release before this?

One thing I did know, and had happily repressed the memory for years: EDGAR ALLEN POE on the main title for The Haunted Palace. Oy! :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Charles Smith said:
But thanks go to Shout! for including the Overture to Usher.

Wait. Wait just a moment. Usher had an Overture? Did I know that?? Has it been on any home video release before this?
That surprised me as well Charles. But I see that it was on the Intrada soundtrack CD - which I now rather wished I had bought before it sold out. Pity the Arrow disc didn't include it as well.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Arrow Usher is superb and looks exactly as it should. I don't have this US release, but will get it for the other films.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Anybody gotten a hold of this set yet? Interested in importing it into the UK.
Yes - I bought the set last week from that famous store near Covent Garden that sells US imports before release date...

I think it looks fantastic. Usher is slightly darker than the Arrow, but still looks great. Masque's colours are wonderful, and Witchfinder & Phibes are stunning transfers. The booklet is nice too.

All I'd say is that the packaging feels/looks a bit cheap compared to Shout's usual standard...

If you're a Price fan, then you can buy this with total confidence, in my opinion.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Charles Smith said:
Thumbs down on this instance of two movies per disc.
I agree about this new practice by Shout! with their blu-rays. So I can't buy Cassandra Crossing without buying Domino Principle as well, which likely share the same disc? And the DVD too? Shout! blu-rays are sure coming with a lot of baggage these days.

Does the Vincent Price blu-ray collection come with DVDs too? It seems like on of the few Shout! releases that doesn't.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, that's a great price, and free shipping to boot! Too bad I already bought it for $50.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
But we can cancel, can't we? Why not? Is there any chance Amazon is going to meet, let alone beat, this price? (I don't know the answer to that. Maybe there is?)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I didn't order from Amazon so it's not an option for me (not a big deal). I'm pretty sure Amazon orders can be cancelled when on pre-order.

As for the Amazon price, I doubt it will get that low before the release date. That would be about 50% off and they're currently selling at $69.99.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Having already read the reviews, I just HAD to jump on this one!

(Charles, the Vincent Price party is still on. Hopefully, mine will arrive on, or near the release date of 10/22, but if not, and you receive yours from Amazon first, unless you already canceled, or maybe you can get a "Price" match? ) ;)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I ordered the Groupon but haven't cancelled the Amazon yet. How do you request a price match?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks