What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Shout factory doing great job (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For the most part I've been pleased with the releases that I've bought from Shout. However, I do have to say that I haven't purchased those sets that most folks have been discussing as problem sets. I don't have any issues with the sets that I have purchased (Adam 12, Room 222, That Girl, Best of Here's Lucy). My first real disappointment with Shout is with Rhoda. However, I'm going to get the set and judge it after I watch it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I think Brian's viewpoint is the fairest we can offer here. I said on the Rhoda thread that you have to take Shout! on a case-by-case basis. I'm sorry to hear that Rhoda is no good. But I also stated that I was very, very pleased with the way California Dreams came out--and I hope that there's a second set soon. That Girl seemed to be in good hands with Shout...now I'm worried about Peyton Place--a show I've wanted on dvd since the beginning of tv-on-dvd. We just have to wait and see what it's like. That's the only fair thing to do. We can't just sit here and state that Shout sucks because of a handful of subpar releases.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Ethan-

What are your worries with Peyton Place? That it won't be finished, or that the quality will be substandard? The prints run in the late nineties were in dire need of some clean up and remastering!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

So have all the other studios at one time or another with exceptional results for certain titles. Shout is no better, no worse, and they too have not been averse to releasing edited product but the only difference is they dress up their edited product in a way designed to make you think the fancy packaging they give their sub-par material should justify shelling out a higher price than you'd pay for the same kind of material in a boot format. When it comes to independent labels handling titles licensed from other companies, I think Timeless has come off much better.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Those were exactly my main concerns with Peyton. I fear that only the (crummy) recent cable versions will be on the dvd and that Shout will never get to the end of the series. I think we said it'd take about 17 volumes?? That's a lot.

BUT--it all remains to be seen. They may very well end up with some good re-masters and they may very well sell enough to get through all 514 episodes (and not pull a "Mary Hartman" on us, like Sony did...) But, let's just wait and see. I have high expectations for that series, so here's hopin'...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Except for some Irwin Allen shows (and probably because they didn't have tape masters for them), Fox has never bothered to remaster before, except for M*A*S*H in the mid-1990s. The only reason The Mary Tyler Moore Show looked as good as it did is that decent masters from when MTM Productions still existed had been made. The pilot for "Anna and the King," as seen on the 50th Anniversary DVD of The King and I, looks like it got run over by a garbage truck. Room 222 and The Paper Chase were not remastered. And we all know about poor old Rhoda.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I'm just glad to have certain shows on DVD however they come, helps for me though that alot of the older shows like Rhoda, MTM are complete blind buys for me as never really shown in UK

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Can SF! get Warner shows? If so, hoping for "Harry O" and "The Yellow Rose", which Warner seem too lazy to deal with themselves.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wish Shout would look into getting McMillan & Wife. I'd really love to have that series completed on DVD. Two six disc sets would finish it off. True, that would mean dividing season 4 into two parts, but that would be fine. Set one would have seasons 2, 3 and part one of 4. Set two would have season 4 part 2 and seasons 5 and 6. Considering that seasons 2-6 varied between 6 or 7 episodes, they might even be able to release seasons 2-4 on one set and seasons 5 & 6 on the otehr set. I really wouldn't care how it was done just as long as the rest of the series gets released.

Did season 1 really sell that badly? I haven't heard either way, but considering how long its been since season 1 was released, I'm guessing sales were pretty low.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

Hey, there's always hope. Universal is finally putting out Season 3 of Quincy...several years after the first release. Count me in for more McMillan and other 70s detective shows - especially if Shout can release them.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While I have several releases from TMG (e.g., Wagon Train, Branded, Guns of Will Sonnett, M-Squad, and Texan), I just picked up my first produced by Shout!, "McHale's Navy" season 2. It was pretty cheap so I did a blind buy at $10.

My understanding is that it is suppose to be one of the better Shout! offerings. I only watched about 10 minutes of the first episode to get a quick gauge of the quality for later reference. I wasn't that impressed. There seemed to be just a bit of lip-synch issues and while the video quality was similar to some TMG releases, there also appeared to be more edge enhancement then I would have expected.

Together this was enough to throw me off and stop watching. Typically, I watch through the entire first episode during these quality checks. I'll try again tonight. Any thoughts?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Wasn't it SHOUT! who had that whole debacle with the My So Called Life release, where you got a lunchbox with your order, but they never sent them out?

I had a friend who is still fuming over not getting her lunchbox or dvd's. She ended up purchasing them through Amazon, minus the box.

I still like SHOUT!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
So I ended up watching some more episodes of McHale's Navy season 2, and there is definitely an annoying ringing of edge enhancement in the image. I've actually accumulated a fair amount of TV shows on DVD within a short time and I usually check a few episodes of each out to get a gauge on the show's video quality. I'd say these are about the worst case of edge enhancement I have come across so far. Is this the norm with SHOUT! releases? I hope not because I'd really like to get some FKB down the road and I'd hate for them to come across the same way.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Deep Discount currently has a sale on selected TV box sets from Shout! Factory including new releases like "Room 222," "The Paper Chase" and "Rhoda." The sale runs through May 4th.

DVD - TV Sale

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I only have the Swamp Thing releases from Shout Factory and I have been pleased with those sets. I'm waiting for Vol. 3, it's been more than 6 months since Vol. 2 was released. I hope it hasn't been abandoned because of poor sales, I enjoyed the series

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
@ China Beach!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H

Brian Ward said on sitcomsonline that Volume 3 isn't being worked on at the moment but not because they're abandoning it. He said they were releasing shows that would compete with the audience for Swamp Thing & they wanted them to focus on those at the moment. He didn't say which shows but it's probably the Transformers & GI Joe. Hopefully sometime later this year or early next we'll see the final volume of Swamp Thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks