What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Shifting artefacts - explanations? (1 Viewer)

Serega_M

Agent
Hi, people

I was wondering - can anyone explain to me why are there "shifting artifacts" on some discs - usually they are in the scenes when camera is slightly changes position - and part or some parts of the picture is shifting. Sometimes it is terribly annoying. The recent example of where there are A LOT of such annoying artifacts - IMAGE disc "The House With The Laughing Windows". So - I guess that it is just a lousy compression job - but I'd like to know the technical explanation - WHY are such crap happening and is it possible to COMPLETELY avoid such kind of crap? And if yes - it is possible - why the quality control is silent when such issues are clearly visible in the final product. Would like to have some replies :) Thanks in advance!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Shifting picture elements are definitely one possible symptom of overcompression (or a poor compressionist). Not nearly as prevalent as in the very early days of DVD.

I've added "The House With The Laughing Windows" (the reviews definitely have my interest) to my GreenCine rental queue and will let you know what I see.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago when watching some of THE HONEYMOONERS - Classic 39 Episodes recently released by PARAMOUNT. I've seen some shifting on quite a few discs over the years, but to see such poor compression on a MAJOR STUDIO'S release in 2003 is pretty sad. Scratches and tinny sound and non-restoration is one thing, but poor compression where door frames and windows and chests of drawers are shifting around in the image is unacceptable. Paramount should be ashamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks