What's new

Search for The Final Countdown (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Today I sent my 3rd fax to PFE after the first two were ignored. In it I made mention that Tim Cook had gone underground after offering an open door policy to answer questions and a mention that if I didn't hear anything this time I was sending a Certified registered letter.

Mike Lane called me at work (I wonder why).. :b

He said the release is still tentatively set for the first week in March (finish the "tech" problem next week). He also is "puzzled" as to why other countries are issuing the same movie when they are supposed to have the rights to it. He said they were looking into it (for whatever that comment is worth).

I stressed their downfall with marketing and isolating themselves to a sect of very demanding DVD enthusiasts - he agreed. He also agreed that is wasn't right for Tim to offer to answer questions then ignore calls and was going to check in on that problem as well.

One hint I had gathered from the conversation is that they possibly tried to author the master for the disc themselves but ended up sending it out to be done which caused a delay.

I also put my 2¢ worth in requesting the trailer to be included and suggested that someone there get involved with the HTF to save face and regain trust. He once again agreed but we will see.

HankM

Second Unit
It would be sweet if Anchor Bay did get a hold of this. I want this DVD also but when PFE does release it how many of you are counting on a great or even good transfer? I really don't expect a whole lot. I look for it every time I'm in a store.:frowning:

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologise if this has been brought up before, or is common knowledge.
Fans of this film might like to know that the film's soundtrack has recently been re-issued by the composer John Scott.
You can read about it here.
I don't have any connection with this website, but have used the company several times, and within the soundtrack collecting community Intrada has a very good reputation.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, these guys are apparently still swearing by their answering machines. No answers; no callbacks. Sheesh!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The last I heard it was to be released the first week of March... we are now in the 2nd week and still no word?

When I last talked to Mike Lane, he indicated that PFE was concerned about other releases in Region 4 and 2 when "they" were supposed to have exclusive rights to the movie now. Wonder if this is the TRUE holdup? Trying to figure out who owns what?

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Couldn't wait & ordered the Region 4 disc from Eazy.dvd.
Cost delivered is right around $10. The tralier is on this disc, which is widescreen PAL, but not anamorphic. Also has 2.0 DD Surround.
It'll do until something better comes along. Thank God for multi-region players with PAL to NTSC conversion. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I ordered one from Ezydvd too, watched a few nights ago. While it wasnt the best dvd I have ever seen, atleast it was in OAR and on DVD. Far more than I have seen from PFE.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
.....well, the "...first week of March..." has come and gone....so lets shoot for mid- March.

I wonder if these guys *actually* got a Worldwide exclusive from Bryna, or simply *thought* they had one...or are simply not smart enough to know that there are other Hemispheres, other Territories in this World that hold the rights to this film for Home Video, also..

Erik_Hetz

Auditioning
Nothing new from PFE still. I called and got the same, "there was a problem, it should be fixed and shipped out this month" speech. I should never have given them my credit card#.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Come on everybody, let's all take a deep breath and relax...

I also ordered one way back when, and haven't heard anything new from them.

However, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. They are a smaller company, and they obviously have made a mistake. Granted, they may not be handling the publicity end of the mistake properly (as well as the distribution of the disc), but until I know for a fact that they are intentionally screwing us over, I can wait.

Everyone here who has never made a mistake, feel free to continue to accuse them of horrendous things.

Me, I'm gonna sit back and watch any number of other DVDs that I haven't even watched yet...

Jimmy!

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Have any of you considered the UK release from Hollywood DVD , it has same specs as Australia (2.35 letterboxed Dolby 2.0 with trailer). This is coded R0 (packaging and also my player confirm this) but is PAL.

Also extremely cheap at only £4 (approx $6).

Had difficulty locating it but the e-tailer I used got it to me within 24 hours has it in stock and they ship internationally. Not posted name but will if anyone can confirm this does not breach forum advertising rules.

Malcolm

Brad M

Second Unit
It's p&s? Standard 1.33:1?

I now see the front of the package says "Widescreen." This must be a flipper??

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the 1.33 thing was an error.
What gets me is that this entry was added at DVDEmpire yesterday, and it already has a rating for a 2.25 out of 5. I can't believe anyone rated it that well, based on all the BS I've heard about it. :eek:

John Stone

Supporting Actor
This must be a flipper??
Minor correction: A "flipper" is a DVD that must be flipped to watch the whole movie, ala 'The Right Stuff'. A DVD that contains the widescreen version of a film on one side and a pan and scan version on the other is not considered a "flipper".

However, as David said, in this case it's just a typo on DVD Empire's part. This disc has a (non-anamorphic) widescreen transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks