What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Commander, you'll forgive me if I put up a fight." In The Enterprise Incident, I almost thought this one because it seems like Kirk and Spock pull off the spy mission without firing a shot. And Scotty manages to get the cloaking device to work, so it was a nice ending. There's a couple of episodes where Kirk threatens to lay waste to the surface of the world, but they manage to avoid that. "You're baiting him!" Journey to Babel does see some phaser fire.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scotty! The Lights of Zetar when Kirk orders phaser fire at the heart of the Zetarian lights approaching the Enterprise. Yes Lee, Kirk was ready to fight to get the cloaking device and they managed to get away without any violence with Scotty's expert guesswork! Except for the Romulan redshirts that Kirk clobbers on the Romulan ship.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
FanCollector said:
And I always wonder how Scotty got the Romulan uniforms...
From the two Romulan exchange prisoners in the brig.

I actually watched Star Trek V: The Final Frontier on purpose last night. I wanted to watch a Trek movie and it was the least and longest since watched one. It was better than I remember although it was still a disappointment given it was the second to last movie they made.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"I actually watched Star Trek V: The Final Frontier on purpose last night."That was quite funny!Whenever I watch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, I go at it pretending I know nothing about Star Trek and try to enjoy it as a film on its own merits. My results are inconclusive at present.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chuck Anstey said:
From the two Romulan exchange prisoners in the brig.
I meant that, given his glee at the prospect, Scott might have added a little more violence to the mission that week.I feel like Star Trek V has the same weakness that a few of the episodes do--an intriguing start and then a rushed or disappointing resolution.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I don't see Mr. Scott adding violence but rather just enjoying the extra humiliation of them being ordered to remove their clothes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"A 9-5!" As I recall, Scotty tries to use the ship's phasers to blast a hole in the security screen on Elba 2 in Whom Gods Destroy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Implied, okay. No wonder it's getting harder!I started reading the chapter on Who Mourns for Adonias. I only read the first three pages or so. I'm really curious to get into it more. It was interesting that the writer was a expert on the Greeks of that era. And also interesting how Justman, Roddenberry and Coon worked to make the script less fantasy-like. It's really satisfying to hear them say that they are not like Lost In Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I was surprised that Cushman notes the idea of ancient astronauts was daring at the time. I thought that really made the episode a lot more intriguing. Also I'm sad that Fontana felt so disappointed with Eleen's change in character from her original idea. I have never read the James Blish adaptation. So I may. I can see why they, especially Roddenberry wanting the Capellians to be shown as positive characters. Also, I can imagine Robertson would object to seeing a woman executed on network TV.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"A serious breach of orders!" Mirror, Mirror? Is it implied that once the counterparts are returned to their universes, the evil Kirk launches the phaser barrage on the Halkens before the evil Spock and kill him or take over?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Adonais apparently took a lot of rewriting, but it seems pretty cohesive as an end product (with the possible exception of the one line of Kirk's dialogue we have discussed before). The ancient astronaut idea also makes the story more believable (as opposed to the myriad parallel Earth takes to come) and the philosophical stakes higher--do we really owe him something if he is the actual guy?Fontana may simply have gone too far for them by making Eleen a mother. Nona is a pretty irredeemable female character and that worked for Roddenberry and Coon. But a mother not caring about her child's well-being was more than their male comprehension would permit.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee and Nelson,

I'm sure you both know this, but just in case you don't, the first of the (I think) five 'crossover' episodes of DS9 explains what occurred in Mirror, Mirror to change history (and in effect create the DS9 crossovers). If you haven't checked at least the first of those episodes out, you may want to give it a viewing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, such a strong reaction to that interpretation of Mirror Mirror! You are right. Prime Kirk convinces Mirror Spock to find a logical reason for sparing the Halkens.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Increase to full power!" How about The Cage? Perhaps this was one of the interpretations you refer to. The laser canon is on the surface of Talos, but they channel the ships power to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks