What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Amit, maybe the reviews at spielbergfilms.com will be able to answer your questions.

Interesting: Amazon appears to have raised their price for the 4-discer to $40.99.

And the depleted stock of the 4-discer at my Costco (which had it for $32.99) appears to not be getting replenished.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not sure that's gonna happen, Jason, esp. given that the price just went up . . .

"Attention Costco shoppers!" SPR, both the 4-discer and the 2-discer, has disappeared from my local Costco. Are others finding this to be the case also?

Although the selection is not prodigious at my local Costco, titles usually hang around longer than SPR did. I'm wondering if Universal (Dreamworks' distribber) requested the return of unsold product when the price apparently increased . . .

-p

WillG

Senior HTF Member
With Costco, titles only hang around for a limited time, as they need space for newer releases. The SPR 4 pack probably was not expected to be an enormous seller, so they probably bought low and stock eventually was depleted. Bottom line, with Costco, you snooze, you lose.

Brian*D

Auditioning
Hey, I have the four-disc and I have a question about Disc 1:

About the 2:35 minute mark (when Upham is yelling at the German soldiers) the colors go kind of strange and the white background overlaps onto Upham's head. Is this part of the film or is it a bad disc? Thanks.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
It's part of the intended look of the film. They intentionally used damaged lenses. Look at the streaking when bright light hits the screen.

It was like this in theatres, too.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Brian, that question gets asked so much there is an archived thread:

SPR picture anomalies

Just as a note, the Matrix is supposed to be green, Three Kings and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? are supposed to be grainy and washed out, and film grain is very different from compression artifacts.

Brian*D

Auditioning
Thanks, I knew about those others, but this was such a brief moment in the film that I was surprised by the color overlap. It was not in keeping with the "documentary" feel of the film. Thanks for the replies, though.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I wouldn't call it patience. Some over in the "Having trouble getting through a few classics" thread would call it lording my "highly elitist film knowledge over the poor peon newbies". But I also will help a person with DVD and receiver setups, even going so far as looking up manuals online for them. So I guess it is lording my highly elitist film, hardware and internet searching abilities over the poor peon newbies. Yup, that sounds right:D !

Brian*D

Auditioning
lol, aww, thanks guys. I've actually been coming to the forums for quite a while and never posted before. I guess I should be embarassed, seeing as I'm a real-life snobbish film student, too and should know this stuff.

But in all seriousness, thanks for the response and for not getting mad at a stupid question.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I was just reading this tread to see if I should buy the SPR 4-DVD WWII Collection.

Based on everyone's comments I ordered it on amazon.com. Thank you for everyone's thoughts and opinions. :D

BTW, the set is now $39.99.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Fwiw, my local Costco has brought back copies of the Indy box, SW, the Alien Quad, the Godfather box and SPR WWII Collection, apparently for Holiday shoppers. Picked up the last copy of SPR at its original Costco price of $32.99 yesterday, natch.

Indeed, it has a catalog number but just lacks a SKU.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks