What's new

Samsung LN40B650 or Panasonic TC-P42G10? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I have a problem. It looks like my beloved Toshiba 34HFX84 is dead forever. It's been at the repair shop now for almost a month & according to the repair person,it has blown out 3 power regulators.They are gonna try once more before they call it a bad picture tube & say its now worth fixing.

That's the bad news.The good news is that I did buy an extended warranty with it,& since it is still covered by it,I can have it replaced,with some restrictions. Since there isn't anything available like it anymore - I'll get a voucher towards a new HDTV. I'll have to use it at the place where I bought my last one though. (I like Bernie's though,so that isn't a problem)

So after doing some research,going to the store & actually looking at my choices - I'm down to two. Which are:

Samsung LN40B650 LCD
or
Panasonic TC-P42G10 Plasma

I chose these two over my other choices because of the reviews that I've read so far,size,and the price (since my voucher won't be for 100% of what I paid for my old TV,but supposedly pretty close.)

I do a LOT of gaming,and I'll admit I'm somewhat worried about image retention on the plasma,but I think with the advances of the tech that it should be okay to get.

All I'm looking for is if any HTFers own either one of these sets,what they think about them. I'm going to have to make a decision soon - & any help would be most welcome.Thanks.

devonjeff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Calvin - I just purchased the larger version of the Samsung - a LN55B640. After some "eyeball" calibration (will use a calibration disc later) I am very pleased with the performance. LCD vs Plasma for me came down to black level and refreshment time and the LN55 does an admirable job on both. If you can squeeze the extra $$, and have viewing distance I would go for a bigger screen size. Good luck!:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

LCD more resistant to burn in issues but the plasma handles fast motion so much better.

As long as one plays in a responsible fashion, the plasma should work out too. Just make sure you exercise the tv after the gaming sessions with material that fills the screen.

regards

Alex19

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
GREAT choice!

I am a Samsung LCD guy at heart, but when it comes down to the Panasonic G10 I would get the Panny without hesitating.
Burn in, half life, more energy consumption is no longer a problem on most Plasmas. The only downside IMO still is the glare. But with the Samsungs Ultra Clear screen you would have gotten a little glare on the Samsung as well.
With the THX certification/calibration you don't have to calibrate it either.

How's it working out for you?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't have to calibrate the THX panasonic ... well not quite.

Although it represents the closest any TVs have gotten to correct OOTB ... there is always room for improvement. No certification can know the type of environment it is going into and the type of gear that will be plugged in. How will that affect a factory set up?

I hope you realize that the THX certification only applies to the THX mode on the TV. If one chooses the Vivid mode or the Standard Mode ... or even the custom mode ... all bets are off. All the normal marketing features kick right back in again.

And then you have your THX mode ... designed to be viewed in a reference environment ... but what are the chances that your living room matches that reference viewing environment? Slim to none ... so the mode may not look quite right in most people's homes. Further tweaking is required.

Doesn't have to be from a pro ...

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks