What's new

UHD Samsung and Paramount Pictures to Bring Premier Ultra High-Definition (UHD) Content (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Samsung and Paramount Pictures Collaborate to Bring Premier
Ultra High-Definition (UHD) Content to Consumers
New Pre-loaded Samsung UHD Video Pack to Showcase Blockbuster Films
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (January 6, 2014) – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a global leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, and Paramount Pictures today announced an alliance that will invigorate a growing UHD market. Samsung is releasing a UHD Video Pack that will come pre-loaded with UHD-quality content, including handpicked feature films from Paramount Pictures. Consumers can effortlessly access this content at home to gain access to blockbuster films and classics that are more detailed than ever before. UHD delivers four times the resolution of Full HD, making the viewing experience clearer and more vivid.

“We are delighted to work with Samsung to showcase the sensational capabilities of their UHD TVs,” said Amy Reinhard, executive vice president and general manager of Paramount Home Media Distribution. “This is a terrific opportunity for consumers to truly experience the superior picture quality of UHD with some of our most popular films.”

“Paramount Pictures is the gateway to many of the best films of our time,” said Kyungshik Lee, Senior Vice President of the Service Strategy Team of Visual Display Business, Samsung Electronics. “We are excited to deliver these memorable films to our UHD TV customers, giving them the chance to rediscover their favorite scenes with stunning clarity.”

The Samsung UHD Video Pack will come bundled with the blockbuster films Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, the global hit World War Z, the thrill-packed action-adventure G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and the beloved classicForrest Gump, winner of six Academy Awards®, including Best Picture. Scheduled to start shipping in the spring, Samsung’s UHD Video Pack will easily connect to compatible Samsung UHD TVs for spectacular 4K viewing. Users will also be able to download new UHD content as it becomes available.

About Paramount Pictures Corporation
Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment, is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. Paramount controls a collection of some of the most powerful brands in filmed entertainment, including Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV Films, and Nickelodeon Movies. PPC operations also include Paramount Famous Productions, Paramount Home Media Distribution, Paramount Pictures International, Paramount Licensing Inc., and Paramount Studio Group.

About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in technology, opening new possibilities for people everywhere. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, LTE systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 270,000 people across 79 countries with annual sales of US$187.8 billion. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Not interested in 4K-as-download options. I want physical media, to have an offline collection I can build, maintain, and admire. I am willing to pay for physical content, but have never, and will never, make peace with "buying" "movies" as downloadable content--I feel very limited (really no) ownership over a video download.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Obviously the 'one box per studio' idea is ridiculous.

Regarding ownership, I quite like the Kindle idea. You buy the book, it's on your Kindle. If you lose the KIndle, or it breaks, or you buy a new one, the books are saved for you by Amazon.

The problem is we're not going to get multi-region players. You might also 'buy' a film, only to find the goalposts have moved and you can't watch it anymore - there'll be smallprint saying the content you 'own' can be removed at any time.

Steve W

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
This is just so Samsung can say there is 4K content for their UHD displays. And fortunately I have zero interest in these "premier" movies (the latest Hollywood pap like the Start Wreck movies), and marginal interest in the only catalog title.But it's interesting to see that they're not waiting for 4K physical media to arrive. If this continues, 4K Blu-ray could be DOA when it does finally hit the market. And if you're keen on physical media, that pretty much spells the end of it. Not that I figure 4K BD to have picked up much momentum anyway. Like it or not, as Yorkshire says, a model like the Kindle or iBooks/iTunes one will become ubiquitous, and people will have mostly digital libraries. If anyone disagrees with me, we can roshambo Cartman style - I'll go first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks