What's new

Sad about forum member Jeff Ulmer (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
davidmatychuk said:
Sorry if that was unclear. I have that fond remembrance from 1997 of a visit to check out Jeff's new 65" TV, which he was rebuilding his basement around. Our houses were only about two miles apart in suburban Surrey, B.C., and I'd see him regularly at my record store, but he had just taken delivery of the Toshiba rear-projection set and wanted to share his excitement. We watched "Tomorrow Never Dies" and "Picnic At Hanging Rock" after goofing around in his garage studio for awhile. It was a great afternoon and evening. The advent of DVD was an exciting time. And I remain enthusiastic about home theatre to this day.

David, as a newcomer on this forum, I am frequently surprised and often uplifted to see the level of personal friendship and sense of community among members, many of whom seem to go back many years.

I certainly didn't know Jeff, but it seems that you had a personal friendship with him; so for whatever it's worth, my condolences to you and all his family and friends here for his parting.

Edit: Forgive my clumsiness, David. I see that Jeff passed away two years ago - I didn't look closely enough. I've just lost a close friend and am working through my own grief - I didn't mean to project it onto others so carelessly. Still, my comments above stand.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for the follow up David. Glad you are still enjoying the HT revolution, the good news is that for the most part consumers won. We still have a lot to look forward to as time goes on but you are so right that we will never have such a broad horizon for HT advances as we did in the late 80s and 90s.

Ramin is right in that it's the connections we make in this hobby that matter so much more than any tech!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Thanks for the follow up David. Glad you are still enjoying the HT revolution, the good news is that for the most part consumers won. We still have a lot to look forward to as time goes on but you are so right that we will never have such a broad horizon for HT advances as we did in the late 80s and 90s.

Ramon is right in that it's the connections we make in this hobby that matter so much more than any tech!
Absolutely. I remember Jeff telling me in the mid 90's about how busy he was doing "online reviews" of anime laserdiscs, and me thinking change must be coming. He was one of those mellow dudes that was born to be ahead of the curve.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
To be fair I am not sure we will ever see as much technical advancement in human history as what we saw from 1970-2000 ever again. I tell people I feel like I was definitely born in the right era because I got to see and participate in all that, as a consumer if not a creator.

Things are not stopping of course, but if you look at the raw tech and industries that rose in that time, it's almost unimaginable and also, in a way, inevitable. In the face of the creation of a global communications network accessible by all the rise of prettier video and sound almost seems like an afterthought =)

Folks like Jeff helped all of us better understand these changes and got us excited for how they will be used next. HTF is littered with folks with similar outlooks, it's what I like best about us all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks