What's new

Overwhelming Majority: South Park On DVD Themed Sets Must Stop (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
After the first 6 volumes of SOUTH PARK on DVD, Warner Bros & Comedy Central have switched the chronological order releases and replaced them with Themed DVD releases. I have yet to meet one person who prefers the themed sets over the sequential volumes.
Are you listening Warner Brothers? Does anyone there care? No one wants themed sets- we just want the episodes in order, 4-5 per disc, just like the first 6 discs!!
  • "Nobody at Warner Brothers nor Comedy Central seems to really care about releasing this set respectfully to season order." -Ron Epstein, New Jersey
  • "We want SEASON BOX SETS!!!" -Tom Ryan, Pullman, Washington
  • "I bought all 6 of the first DVDs. Simply put, I will not buy themed sets." -Vince Maskeeper, Kent, Ohio
  • "I didn't buy the first 2 themed discs and I won't buy these 2." -Joe Kauffman, Clearwater USA
  • "I stopped buying the South Park DVDs as well when the series shifted to themed discs." -Jeffrey Forner, Chaska, Minnesota
  • "Since the "themed" discs came I sold my old comedy central R1s of seasons 1 & 2 in anger." -Dan Brecher, UK
  • "THEMED DISCS ONLY MEANS NO SALE. Why is that so hard to understand????" -Mark Zimmer, Madison, Wisconsin
  • "I didn't buy the first theme sets. I won't buy these theme sets. I won't buy any theme sets." -John Berggren, Durham, North Carolina
  • "NO ORO (original release order) = NO SALE" -John Ford, Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
  • "Warner, you have till January to repent, then I'm buying the R4s and not looking back. If you won't do season sets, then give it to Time-Life or Columbia House to do it properly." -Jeff Kleist, Havertown, Pennsylvania
  • "I still don't want these themed discs. You hear that Warner, you're just being silly." -Greg Robertson, San Marcos, Texas
  • "The only money I will ever hand over for South Park DVD's is Season By Season sets." -Ricky f
  • "The themed discs have absolutely no appeal for me. I own the first 6 DVDs and would snap up the next seasons as soon as they were available." -Kolya, Modesto, California
  • "We will not stand for themed discs and season by season is the only way I am going to buy R1 South Park again." -Brett Hancock
  • "We have the Rhino sets - 1 through 6. We have the movie. And that is where it stops - until season sets, or original broadcast sequence sets, come out. No "Best Of" or "Themed" collections will be bought. End of story." - Mike Voigt, Florida, USA
  • "I will only buy season sets of "South Park" in air-date order, none of this themed or "best-of" crap." -Esten
  • "Season by season only! If I want "Best Of" I'll just check TV Guide for when they air in syndication and set my VCR!" -Carlo Medina
  • "I've got the 6 Rhino discs and the Film, and that's it. I won't buy any more, until they pick back up where Rhino left off. NO IN-EPISODE-ORDER = NO SALE!" -David Lambert
  • "Who wants to buy any TV series incomplete and out of order? I don't." -Jeff Ulmer
  • "I'd gladly buy region one sets if Warner/Comedy Central ever get their act together." -Gerard Priori, New York, USA
  • "I *refuse* to buy any of the "themed" editions. I'd ask you to reconsider picking up where Rhino left off and releasing the series in order. As you can see, I'm not the only one who would gladly begin buying South Park once again." -Larry Eshleman, Houston, Texas
  • "I've just stopped checking on South Park DVDs since Warner Brothers announced that they were going the theme route." -John Kovach, Houston, Texas
  • "Warner Brothers!!!! Season sets only!!!! No best of Sets. I WILL NOT BE BUYING SOUTH PARK ON NOV 6TH!!" -Joe Fisher, Mt. Vernon, New York
  • "Hey Warner! I have bought "South Park" volumes 1-6. I have ordered the first season of the "Simpsons". I have the first three seasons of "The X-Files" and the first season of "The Sopranos". Do you see a pattern in my purchases? Is there something that you know that Fox and HBO don't?" -Michael Harris
  • "I for one will not be purchasing any new theme releases." -Dan Brodin, Berywn, Illinois
  • "I own the rhino versions and I haven't bought (and won't buy) the theme packs." -Todd Goldstein, Medford, MA
  • "I was going to buy the first 6 volumes of South Park, but then the first of the random episode discs came out. When I realized what was going on I cancelled my order for the first 6 discs. If I can't watch the episodes in order then I don't see the point of buying them at all." - Gord Lacey, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • "This is truly sad. I'd love to have season sets of South Park right next to the Simpsons sets. However, as long as themed discs are released, they will not be in my collection. Complete & in order or not-at-all." -Kurt N, South Carolina
  • "I also have purchased the first six South Park DVDs, along with the movie, but will never purchase 'themed' discs, with the episodes completely out of order. I want to watch television episodes in the order that they originally aired, with nothing omitted. What is so difficult to understand about that?" -Glennica, Boulder, Colorado
  • "Warner USED to be a strong supporter of the DVD format and they gave the consumers what they wanted. Now they're at the bottom. Warner you need to seriously wake up and release the season sets like every other studio does." -John McKittrick, Las Vegas, Nevada
  • "Yet another customer over here wants to buy all the South Park episodes in order of release... just like I'm buying *all* of Fox's Simpsons episodes." -David Boulet, Washington DC
  • "Warner, I won't buy any "themed" DVD releases of South Park, or anything else!!! Release South Park in seasoned sets, and you get my money. Simple as that..." -Tony I
  • "No more theme DVD purchases for me. I want my South park in chronological, season sets! Come on, Warner -- don't pretend Comedy Central came up with this idea!" -Chris Molanphy
  • "Yup, I agree. Warner, enough with this "Best of" crap and release session boxed sets!" -HenrikTull, Norway
  • "This very topic is the reason I decided to register [on the Home Theater Forum] in the first place. Comedy Central, wake up, you're missing the boat!" -Tom Foley, Hoboken, NJ
  • "I am very disturbed that between WHV and Comedy Central, someone has decided to discontinue releasing South Park episodes in their original order. South Park is one of the few shows on the air that consistently delivers to their viewers in nearly every episode. So why did someone decide to treat it like a subpar series deserving of only "greatest hits" releases?" -Derek Miner, Clearwater, Florida
  • "I'm hesitant to buy anything other than season by season volumes of South Park. Warner had a good thing going there for awhile... rleasing in chronological order. Anything else just isn't attractive to me." -Scott W, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • "Warners lack of support for ORO has force me to spent my dollars overseas for the PAL season versions... Now I sit with 4 seasons of SOUTH PARK...." -Chris Dugger, Norwalk, CT
  • "Themed Sets = No sale. It's that simple. I, too, will not be purchasing these 'themed' sets." -Joseph Young, Sunnyvale, CA
  • "Themed sets are a travesty. I will not buy themed sets- not just for the sake of South Park, but because I don't wish to financially encourage a TREND in this direction." -Joseph Burns, Los Angeles, CA
  • "Add my name to the list! I really want to see them revert to the old chronological order... hope someone listens." -Thomas Berg, TCU, Fort Worth, TX
  • "Warner, do us right! Give us the set in chronological order, or we won't buy!" -Ryan Peter, Minneapolis, MN
  • "Put me down as yet another disappointed consumer. I had previously purchased all the South Park DVD's but I will NOT be buying any more unless they return to a season-by-season release. Themes are totally usless to me." -Scott A. McGillivray, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
  • "For me it's 'all or none'" -Mark F Hall, Malvern, AR
  • "I WILL NOT BUY any DVD of South Park unless they are release in a season by season order." -Kevin Potts, Emporia, KS
  • "I want each and every episode of this show, it is hilarious!" -Brian LaRose, Center Line, MI
  • "I will NOT buy themed sets." -Mark Fitzsimmons
  • "I need South Park in order now!" -Matt Stone, West Lafayette, IN
  • "There are many TV series I am interested in, and the superior product from other studios is competing for my dollar. The dollar that could be Warner's, if they would just do it right." -Michael St. Clair
  • "Every time I go to the store, I pass by South Park DVDs that I refuse to buy. I really would like to own a complete run of South Park on DVD, but to this day I only have the first 6 discs." -John Berggren, Durham, NC
  • "This situation *really* frustrates me." -David Boulet, Washington, DC
  • "I stopped buying the episodes when you guys decided we weren't big enough fans to enjoy every episode in order. I won't buy again until we get the treatment we deserve." -Jeremy Little, Moore, OK
  • "I don't have ONE episode of South Park on DVD because Warner won't release the series by season and I won't until they do!!!!!!" -Jeremiah W
  • "I would like to have South Park in my DVD collection, but only in season sets or in correct order. I have yet to purchase a theme set and have no plans to." -Will K, Rock Hill, SC
  • "Just for the record, I sold any South Park Theme Sets and will only buy them if they continue with Volume 7 or come out in season sets." -Daniel Kikin, Teaneck, NJ
  • "WB, please please PLEASE release South Park in whole-season box sets, just like every TV show is doing! I have been a die hard fan since before the show was even on the air, and I want to collect EVERY episode, not just the ones you decide I should be allowed to see." -Tim Kline, Philly, PA
  • "DOWN I say... with themed sets of South Park..." -William B, Salem, WI
  • "I also have only the first 6 volumes with the Movie as well. I will not purchase any more South Park merchandise until Warner picks up with volume 7!!! This customer goes in order and does not appreciate any deviation." -Travis Hedger, Oklahoma
  • "You're not getting one red cent of my hard earned money, Warner, until I see South Park released by season." -Stacey
  • "Themed sets are no good. Please release South Park in their aired order." -Alan Benard
  • "Themed sets? You have got to be kidding me, WB/CC. I would love to add South Park to my collection, but it's not going to happen unless it's released in season format. I guess my taped reruns will have to do." -Ricardo C, Venezuela
  • "I bought the first 6 DVDs within days of their release. Now I wait (rather impatiently) for the rest of South Park on DVD in complete seasons. It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy one of those themed discs." -Shane P, Portland, Oregon
  • "Warner, I have the first 6 SP sets. I have been waiting ever since for my next fix (I don't have cable/satellite) and I'm getting pissed off. I REFUSE to buy theme sets. You're leaving money on the table here, and that's BAD BUSINESS." -Craig S, League City, TX
  • "At this point, there's so much other quality DVD product on TV that I'm starting to not even care about South Park on DVD anymore. Everytime I go into a store, I see those damned theme sets and it really pisses me off. If someday we get the series in order, great. If not, as Cartman would say, 'Screw you guys, I'm going home.'" -Joe Kauffman, Clearwater, FL
  • "Please add me to the list of the people who would prefer season-by-season sets. I have the first three Rhino DVDs already and am planning to buy the other three soon, but I won't buy the other "best-ofs". I won't be fully satisfied until I have everything complete IN ORDER!!!!" -Mark Schmitt, Hollywood, CA
  • "Absolutley no themed sets for me. I have better things to spend my money on. Like other tv show sets that are being released in their proper order." -John M. Ford
  • "I too refuse to purchase any more South Park DVDs, until they are released in series order (i.e., no more themed sets)." -Michael Kizer, San Diego, CA
  • "I own the first 6 DVDs in the South Park set. I have bought none since. Get the picture?" -Jacques C
  • "I am fairly new to DVD and am looking forward to building my collection. That collection was expected to include "South Park" DVD's. However, I cannot support themed-sets that have been issued by Warner Bros. Chronological sets or no sale. It's really up to you. There are plenty of other DVD's on the shelves I can spend my $$$ on until you change your approach." -Malcolm R, Vermont
  • "Add me to the list of people who refuses to buy South Park until they are released again in series order. I bought the first six and will not spend my money on a theme set." -Trent Tunstell, Mentor, OH
  • "I have not yet bought a single South Park DVD. I am awaiting the (hopefully) future release of season sets. My dollars are waiting..." -Greg Rakaska, Indianapolis, IN
  • "I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments listed here. Warner had better wise up soon - as another member pointed out, they are leaving money on the table here... plain and simple!" -Jim DiJoseph, Boca Raton, FL
  • "Haven't bought a themed south park disc yet, and won't. Revenue down the toilet bowl!" -Matt Stryker, GA
  • "I am actually in the same boat as others here. I was going to buy all the episodes on DVD, then I discovered that they are not being released in season sets, so now I wont even buy the first 6 volumes. If I cant watch the whole series in order, why bother owning any of them. Very shoddy, Warner." -Charles J P, Omaha, NE
  • "I bought the first 4 eps and discovered that after 6 they were themed sets, and sold the first four cheap. Good riddance. If Warner wants to see another penny out of me for South Park, it will have to be in the form of Season Box Sets." -Brett Soutter, London, ON, Canada
  • "Well I am a big fan, own the first 6 Rhino DVDs and the movie, but warner isn't going to see a PENNY from me until they release them i order by season. They couldn't even give these pieces of junk to me." -Kenny Goldin
  • "I have 6 South Park DVDs... I'm sure we can all guess which 6. Get it right, I have money waiting for this!" -Drew Dockery, Bloomington, IL
  • "I too have the first few discs which were released chronologically. I won't be buying any of the "themed" sets. I would certainly buy any season set WB sees fit to release." -Aaron Silverman, Teaneck, NJ
  • "Please hear your customers and release full season sets. I've done my part on the Friends and will fully support the season set's that are coming out. I have not and will not buy any of the South Park themed sets." -Paul Wu, Vancouver, Canada
  • "Complete season sets in order or no sale. It's just that simple." -Craig T
  • "It damn near HURTS me not to be able to get ALL the episodes of Southpark out there... PLEASE Warner - release Southpark in full season sets!" -Dave W, Aurora, CO
  • "I have the 1st 6 discs. No more until they go back to season/chronological order sets." -Philip Verdieck, Houston, TX
Add your thoughts on themed sets here and I will add parts to the quotes above- maybe if everyone posts their thoughts we can get this silliness to end! Warner, we want you to release the discs like the first 6 volumes!
Vince
PS:
Keep the response going guys- I sent in a print out of this thread in March to Warner, and will send it again in June.
You can send your own complaints directly to:
DVD Marketing Dept., ATTN: Doug Wadleigh, Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91522
Comedy Central Viewer Services, 1775 Broadway, New York, NY 10019

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I agree!! The themed discs must be replaced with season by season boxed sets with episodes in order of original air date! Please WB!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on October 24, 2001 at 03:03 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's a messy situation, South Park being perhaps the biggest offender of this crime as release that STARTED as season by season releases only to quickly become themed discs.
I'm quoted above as saying once the themed discs from WB arrived, I sold my existing Region 1 copies of South Park seasonS 1 & 2 in anger, and that's all down to the sudden lack of consistency that I faced should I want episodes from seasons 3 & 4.
Complete seasons sell pretty damn well here in the UK, Warner even do it themselves with the likes of Friends and sales of seasons box sets in the US from other studios are doing pretty damn well. A definate domestic re-evaluation of the situation is called for.
Dan (UK)

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I posted in the other thread that I don't have a way of playing other-region dvds, and I still don't want these themed discs. You hear that Warner, you're just being silly.
------------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Warner, The only money I will ever hand over for South Park DVD's is Season By Season sets. Simple as that !

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
There is really no quote I can give but I would like to agree with every single thing that has been said on this thread. We will not stand for themed discs and season by season is the only way I am going to buy R1 South Park again.
"You guys aren't my best friends
Through thick and thin you always screw us over
Releasing themed discs every day
Not listening to what we have to say
Not my best friends
Warners no friend to me"
PLEASE RELEASE SEASON BY SEASONS
that was my parody of the my best friend song that cartman sings on spooky vision episode. Hope you all liked it. Don't forget to check out my sig for the petition. Peace
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD
[Edited last by Brett Hancock on October 24, 2001 at 05:17 PM]
[Edited last by Brett Hancock on October 24, 2001 at 05:56 PM]

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I love South Park - and so does my wife.
We have the Rhino sets - 1 through 6.
We have the movie.
And that is where it stops - until season sets, or original broadcast sequence sets, come out.
So, while we both love the Timmy storylines, that particular collection won't be purchased.
While the Mr. Hanky ones can be quite funny - especially after a couple of beers - that collection won't be purchased.
No "Best Of" or "Themed" collections will be bought.
End of story.
Mike

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If, after releasing the full season sets you want to issue theme discs for the casual viewer, that's fine. BUT THEMED DISCS ONLY MEANS NO SALE.
Yes, I know Vince already quoted me, but I just wanted to pipe up again. :)
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Esten

Supporting Actor
I will only buy season sets of "South Park" in air-date order,none of this themed or "best-of" crap.
While your at it release "Freddy's Nightmares" on DVD as well.
VHS's didn't sell well?What do you expect when the show was still in re-runs and the tapes where so low-key no one hardly knew about them?I hope you reconsider.
angry.gif

Whoops,got OT for a second there.
wink.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Season by season only! If I want "Best Of" I'll just check TV Guide for when they air in syndication and set my VCR!
angry.gif

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Whether it's Warner's issue or Comedy Central's issue, as WB said in the recent chat with HTF, it just doesn't matter. Both WB and CC stand to make or lose money based on whether people want to buy the South Park discs.
I won't buy them. Like another poster said, I've got the 6 Rhino discs and the Film, and that's it. I won't buy any more, until they pick back up where Rhino left off.
NO IN-EPISODE-ORDER = NO SALE!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
You mean "NO Warner, that's a bad Warner!" I think Mike makes an excellent point that even though him and his wife love the episodes on the Timmy disc they won't be purchasing it and I totally agree. There is not a single episode of South Park that I dislike and I think this is the same for many fans but because of the themed disc it's a no purchase. Just thought I would chime in a little. Peace
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Who wants to buy any TV series incomplete and out of order? I don't.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
I've been purchasing the region two season sets from the UK. I'd gladly buy region one sets if Warner/Comedy Central ever get their act together.
-Jerry

I'm a big South Park fan. I was watching and quoting it before the clerks at places like Spencer's had even heard of it.
wink.gif
I own all six of the Rhino DVD's, as well as the DVD for the film "South Park: BLU".
But I *refuse* to buy any of the "themed" editions.
Here are my reasons, WB:
1) By picking an assortment of episodes to include, you're essentially creating gaps in the release structure. How do I know you won't fill in those gaps? What you perceive to be a potentially low seller may well be one of my favorite episodes.
2) You're destroying the sense of order. South Park does maintain a sense of continuity from episode to episode(Kenny notwithstanding). It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a show released on DVD that references an older one that may not be on DVD.
As much as I like some of the episodes you've released, I cannot and will not buy them, because I think the prospect of collecting the series as a whole has been ruined. I'd ask you to reconsider picking up where Rhino left off and releasing the series in order. As you can see, I'm not the only one who would gladly begin buying South Park once again.

I own the Rhino South Park discs, and refuse to buy any of the themed discs. Frankly, I've just stopped checking on South Park DVDs since Warner Brothers announced that they were going the theme route. Bad, Warner, BAD BAD BAD WARNER!!!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Ladies and gentleman, I agree with Vince and the others in this thread. I want South Park TV shows to be presented in season box sets the way they're supposed to be.
Please, give us the season box sets soon. Thanks
------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks