1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

S Video Vs. Component

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott Adam, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Scott Adam

Scott Adam Well-Known Member

I know this has probably been debated before, but is there a NIGHT AND DAY difference between connecting a DVD player to a TV with S Video rather than splitting the connections totally and going component? I know component is the best connection you can get, but for a TV set like mine, a Sony Trinitron 27" or so, would it make a HELL of a difference if I switch from S Video to component in terms of picture quality? My screen is only 27 inches or so...

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

I do not believe that you would see a big difference on a 27”display between S-Video and component, so long as the discussion is limited to NTSC (standard definition) signals. You would probably see most of the improvement in richer colors.

But, if your 27” display is HD ready and you have an HD receiver, there will be a very noticeable jump in quality, as you won’t get HD via S-Video.

3. Scott Adam

Thank you much...I am not sure if my Sony is HD ready; BUT in GENERAL, you think with a screen size such as mine, the effect wouldn't be as dramatic going from S Video to component?

"Who the HELL do you think you ARE? You think your secular education gives you the right to question the CHURCH? SIT DOWN! SIT!!"
    -Murray Hamilton, "The Amityville Horror"

4. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Well-Known Member

In general for your screen size S Video will be fine and you will notice little or no improvement in a conventional TV.

5. Scott Adam

Thanks....

What about when you get to larger screen sizes? The differences are definitely more apparent? My parents have a 55" projection Mitsubishi in their house in Nevada, with a surround system run by the same Onkyo SR600 that I have; I am not sure what their Panasonic DVD player is connected via, S Video or component, but the picture SEEMS like it could possibly be a bit clearer; but on my 27", S Video seems alright to go by?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John

7. Scott Adam

So then, can S Video be considered "good enough" for everyday, general viewing of DVDs through a surround system---especially on a 27 inch screen? Is S Video good enough to "do the job" for most people?

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    I would say YES, s-vid is good enough.

9. Scott Adam

Thank you. I think maybe when or if I ever move to join my family in Nevada and re-do my surround system there, I will upgrade to component, just to know I would be getting the best transfer possible, video-wise...

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

11. HienD

HienD Well-Known Member

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I see a very marked — and well worthwhile — improvement when moving to component video on my bedroom 27-inch set. The colors are more palpable, the experience much more satisfying.

Rule of thumb, therefore: Whenever component-video connections are possible, use them.