What's new

s-video vs component video on analog tv (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
hi i have the older sony wega model 27" and since my tv doesnt support progressive scan i just used s-video cable. do you guys think i would get a better picture if i used component cables instead? if there's very lil difference then i wont bother with it. by the way i use the toshiba sd4800 dvd player. too bad i wont be using those fancy progressive features in that player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you use a cable of the same relative quality as your s-video cable, you will not see a significant difference. Between s-vid and component, there is a greater difference in color presentation than in image quality. 27" is right about the point where you will start to benefit from component. It all depends on how much of a difference you are willing to spend money for.

If your display is not calibrated, you will almost certainly see no difference.

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
thanks john u seem to be the 1st person everytime to reply posts. i dunno maybe its cause were related? .. j/k :D

well i only have one component input in my tv and my gamecube occupies that spot. my denon receiver has component inputs but its 27mhz, but i dont think it'll matter since my tv is analog. Besides, i dont like runnig video cables through my receiver cause it might just make the video quality even worse. im thinking of just getting an s-video cable from bettercables.com , but right now i'll just do a lil research on this stuff before i spend $$$

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hehehe, just helpin out my fellow Garcias :emoji_thumbsup: I just want some autographed footballs in exchange LOL.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
27 MHz is much more than plenty for your A/V receiver to handle 7 MHz component video inputs for an "analog" TV. Although 27 MHz is not technically enough for 1080i HDTV, you can generally get away with it because so few TV sets today can show the loss of horizontal resolution compared with the required 37 MHz.

My own preference is to use the component video for movies (the DVD player) and the S-video for games.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My bedroom system is built around a four-year-old 27-inch Toshiba, and the difference between S-video and component-video is quite remarkable. Colors are much more vivid and evenly saturated through component-video, and the image has more snap, sharpness, and vibrancy. For me at least, whenever component-video inputs are an option, I use 'em.

Ozzie

Agent
Don't meant to change the subject but...
Jeff, your not the star quarterback for my San Francisco 49ers are you?

Just curious...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Similar to Jack, when I went from a basic S-vid to a fairly expensive component cable, I gained a very noticable improvement in color. I did not notice any gain in resolution, but the more vivid colors seem to make the picture "POP".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks