What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Somehow I was hoping Seattle would get the show live at the last second on the carriage report. Still kinda dopey, in my personal opinion. But it is what it is.

I asked on the show's Facebook page about a podcast or streaming video. The website goes live on 1.25 (IIRC) and it does say the show can be streamed worldwide. It'll probably be a few days "late" but better than nothing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Having seen the first show, I think it's promising, although Lemire and Vishnevetsky have a long way to go in developing their rapport. At the moment, they don't so much discuss as talk at each other. But it's such a pleasure to have At the Movies back that I'm willing to give them some time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
Having seen the first show, I think it's promising, although Lemire and Vishnevetsky have a long way to go in developing their rapport. At the moment, they don't so much discuss as talk at each other. But it's such a pleasure to have At the Movies back that I'm willing to give them some time.
Yup, I won't be able to record the first show until Sunday night so I'll definitely check it out sometime on Monday.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Caught enough of it to agree with Michael. Also, he really did seem to "love everything", as she said. I was less impressed with him for that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
By the way, this one thread is taking an exceptionally long time to load today, and the above post just took an exceptionally long time to "submit".

EDIT: Wow, again, way long. This isn't happening anywhere else I've read or posted this morning.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Jason_V said:
The website goes live on 1.25 (IIRC) and it does say the show can be streamed worldwide. It'll probably be a few days "late" but better than nothing.
That's great to hear, but what website are you referring to? I've found Roger's blog and a YouTube channel that has the six minute teaser show, but not a website for the show yet. Gotta link? I'm gonna need it.

Peace,

DM

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much. This will help since my PBS station doesn't have plans on picking it up.

Peace,

DM

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
. But it's such a pleasure to have At the Movies back that I'm willing to give them some time.

Quite so!

I really enjoyed Roger's "Citizen Kane" trailer homage with the guest voiceovers.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see the show back. I would agree with Michael that the rapport between the hosts need to be developed. Looks like Lemire is gonna be the 'bad cop' and Vishnevetsky is going to be the 'good cop'. Although to be fair, too soon to say after only one episode. In any case I liked the variety of the show and enjoyed the segment dealing with the film My Dog Tulip. Hope the show develops an audience.

- Walter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I missed the first episode...but have started watching on-line.

My DVR is now set. It airs in my hometown on Saturday mornings.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It's was painfully obvious that Vishnevetsky liked EVERYTHING and Lemire disliked nearly everything. Even when they quickly showed reviews for films not included in the broadcast. I hope it doesn't stay that way. And I'll give them some time to develop rapport, but the guy needs to work on his delivery. I little too stiff when reciting his review.

I did enjoy the show tho. Took me back to when I was a kid and I'd watch Sneak Previews in my parents room on the color tv, even tho I was too young to see any of the movies being shown.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Dang, it was on Friday at 7:30 and I hadn't looked it up yet. Convenient time to watch, too. Guess I'll tune in this week.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Paul D G
It's was painfully obvious that Vishnevetsky liked EVERYTHING and Lemire disliked nearly everything. Even when they quickly showed reviews for films not included in the broadcast. I hope it doesn't stay that way. And I'll give them some time to develop rapport, but the guy needs to work on his delivery. I little too stiff when reciting his review.

I did enjoy the show tho. Took me back to when I was a kid and I'd watch Sneak Previews in my parents room on the color tv, even tho I was too young to see any of the movies being shown.
It was just the first show and to be honest the nerves showed, but it should get better with time. Lemire was the better of the two and she had a more natural on camera presence. I had my doubts about Ignatiy "I completely disagree" Vishnevetsky before I discovered he gave thumbs up to "The Season of the Witch." He may be the only critic in America to do so. Combine that with him liking every movie and I'm not sure he'll earn my trust as a critic.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Season of the Witch Tomatometer rating = 4%
The Dilemma = 14%

Both of which he liked. But Ebert handpicked him so I'll give him time to break in.

Was he hitting on Lemire when he asked her to go see My Dog Tulip with him??

One thing I didn't like was how they kept teasing with what was coming up as if there were commercial breaks, then the shot would change and they'd start in on the teased segment.

I'm sure in a month or so all the kinks will get worked out. I really liked the set, tho.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen the new show yet, and I want to try to catch it.I'll check listings in my area.

Forgive me if I am going off topic, but I was amazed that Roger was fitted with a prosthetic chin. He knows he not trying to fool anyone with it, but it looks pretty good in images I've seen! I was curious how that would look on the show. I thought it was really cool. The people who fitted him does this kind of work for kids with injuries and deformities if I am not mistaken.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I watched the second episode on Friday and was completely underwhelmed. The "reviews" spent far more time on plot summary than on telling me what made a movie good or bad. And that dancer who talked about Black Swan -- I was expecting maybe some insight on ballet and the film's portrayal of it and was instead knocked semi-unconscious by mind-numbing psychobabble.

What a waste. :(

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

What a waste. :(
The Black Swan feature or the show in general?

Did you see the first show? I observed definite progress from the first to the second. My guess is that it'll take Lemire and Vishnevetsky half a dozen shows to find their rhythm, longer for the Eberts to figure out which other features work and which ones don't. Fortunately we're on PBS; so it won't get yanked after an episode or two.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched episode #2 this weekend (after having missed #1). I would agree the segment by the "blogger" about The Black Swan was stultifyingly horrendous (if that's, indeed, what Aaron meant!).

Vishnevetsky seems incredibly young and inexperienced for the position. I am fighting the urge to refer to him here as "Skippy." On at least three occasions after Lemire had rendered an observation he proceeded to agree with her by first saying "No" and then expounding on what she had already said. That is either a nervous crutch that he needs to kick free or an ill-formed pattern of speech that he needs to fix.

I'm all for watching the show develop and mature--and, hopefully, the hosts along with it. It has got to be difficult for them to be trying to live up to those obvious (and constant) comparisons with the great Siskel and Ebert. It would have been smart for them to have withheld, for example, that little nugget about sitting in the actual seats that Gene and Roger used during the original run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks