Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Sep 10, 2010.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    BTW, Ebert posted to Twitter recently that show has been picked up in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

2. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Dammit, I forgot to watch the second show! And I like the local Friday evening slot. Well, it was for a good cause... I actually went out to a movie in a real theater (True Grit), something that happens all too infrequently these days. Onward.

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Awesome. Now I just have to find it. Thanks David!

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Quote:
    The show in general. :) I didn't see the first show, and if you think the second was an improvement then I won't bother looking for it online. Who knows, though -- maybe it'll improve with time. Good point about PBS.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/303800/roger-ebert-reviving-at-the-movies-on-public-tv/30#post_3777103

I watched episode #2 this weekend (after having missed #1). I would agree the segment by the "blogger" about The Black Swan was stultifyingly horrendous (if that's, indeed, what Aaron meant!).

I meant that literally. My eyes glazed over and I lost track of time and space for a few minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/303800/roger-ebert-reviving-at-the-movies-on-public-tv/30#post_3777103

I'm all for watching the show develop and mature--and, hopefully, the hosts along with it. It has got to be difficult for them to be trying to live up to those obvious (and constant) comparisons with the great Siskel and Ebert. It would have been smart for them to have withheld, for example, that little nugget about sitting in the actual seats that Gene and Roger used during the original run.

That was probably my favorite part of the show! :)

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Quote:

I watched episode #2 this weekend (after having missed #1). I would agree the segment by the "blogger" about The Black Swan was stultifyingly horrendous (if that's, indeed, what Aaron meant!).

I meant that literally -- my eyes glazed over and I lost track of time and space for a few minutes.

Quote:

I'm all for watching the show develop and mature--and, hopefully, the hosts along with it. It has got to be difficult for them to be trying to live up to those obvious (and constant) comparisons with the great Siskel and Ebert. It would have been smart for them to have withheld, for example, that little nugget about sitting in the actual seats that Gene and Roger used during the original run.

That was probably my favorite part of the show! :)

7. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    Ignatiy Vishnevetsky has a fascinating read at the AV Club on the last version of the show etc.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    When I try to view the 4th page of this thread in safari, it's totally blank. Let's see if this post will fix it.

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks for the report. We got it fixed.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    http://www.avclub.com/article/i-killed-movies-206668

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    So people know what that is.........

I killed At The Movies The inside story of the dueling critics’ last hurrah
    By Ignatiy Vishnevetsky @vishnevetsky
    Jul 17, 2014 12:00 AM

Ignatiy was one of the personalities reviewing movies on Eberts revival of his old At the Movies show.

Was interesting but seemed like it took forever to get to the main point of the article.

DaveF likes this.
  13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Thanks for bringing this up, Albert, and thanks for linking to it Dave.
    It's a great read, written by an insider with both a literate prose style and the rare ability for honest self-reflection. I can't say I ever cared for any of the post-Ebert & Roeper iterations of the show, but I just learned a lot about what went into making it.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks Tony. I see my snippet was too oblique. And it was a great read. Hopefully folks in this thread will enjoy it. I enjoyed Ebert and Roeper. I lost interest when Ebert left. I was unaware of the reincarnations.

15. atcolomb

atcolomb Second Unit

Angelo
    I did like Christy Lemire & Ignatiy and it's too bad the series ended. I grew up in the Chicago area and do remember seeing Siskel & Ebert on the PBS station and watched them for many years and reading their reviews in the Chicago Tribune & Chicago Sun-Times. I do miss the balcony alot!

16. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I too enjoyed the Christy & Ignatiy coupling and probably caught every episode while it was on. They definitely bickered back and forth about movies the same way Siskel and Ebert once did.

I lament seeing the show, in whatever form, go away as it was a terrific means for discovering otherwise unknown films. It really helped to build my appreciation for cinema all the way back to the silent era.

17. albert_m2

albert_m2 Stunt Coordinator

Albert
    I enjoyed most variations of the show except the when the two Bens hosted.

I think the last version was improving and liked that Ebert wanted to stretch out who the hosts could be.

Overall, I miss not having a show with two critics discussing and yes arguing over new films, whether it be a new blockbuster, indie film or even movies that
    you are going to be terrible.

I thought at times that Ignatiy was too inaccessible in his tastes, but didn't mind that there was someone I disagreed with etc. and enjoyed reading his take on the show and self awareness of his demeanor and style.