What's new

Return of the King trailer NOW ONLINE (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
John, I don't know anything about WinRAR except that it's a very small download from Download.com. It's also free, though only as a trial version. If you want to do what I did, just download the .RAR version, then download WinRAR from Download.com. No bother. I even uninstalled it when after I unzipped the file.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Kirk has defended my point pretty well.

Going over the trailer and even comparing it to the TTT trailer I think it could be fairly argued that you see almost nothing that you haven't seen before.

Orcs charging a giant fortress, brief glimpses that in no way distinguish it from Helm's Deep. Soldiers on the walls raising their bows to repel the assult. Other moments of seige (even if the ram being used is a special moment to the readers).

The Helm's Deep battle was also described as the "end all, be all" battle for the sake of TTT trailers (implied for dramatic effect of course), yet we know it wasn't.

The TTT trailer featured the Fellowship wondering how Sam and Frodo were doing on their own, as well as showing Frodo/Sam wandering and worrying about carrying on. We also were shown Gollum presenting a threat and demanding the ring (in effect) yet we know that despite seeing that in the trailer it didn't turn out that way.

What I'm saying is simply this, while we get tiny glimpses of things a reader might key in on, were this some film that most of you hated the first 2 times there would be an overwhelming cry of "haven't we seen this crap before?" To a non-reader this "teaser" only serves to make ROTK look like a REHASH of the TTT plot, not just consistent in tone (as FOTR and TTT were).

Now, before everyone gets in a huff this is clearly not any sort of official teaser or trailer. Not only does this appear to be just a rip of part of the TTT DVD preview stuff, but the very complaints I mentioned above also tell us that this isn't meant to really wow the non-readers.

ROTK WILL FEATURE things that are far different than TTT and hopefully some of those very best moments won't find their way into any ROTK trailers, but certainly some of them will and should. I think you will end up getting almost as much Denethor as you did Theoden in the TTT trailer, for example.

To me this teaser looks a lot more like something that was put together before they had much more than the raw footage ready on many scenes. It seems to be carefully cut to feature very FEW effects scenes.

Again, this is all fine by me because we are seeing this early, I don't think its a true trailer at all, and people will go to see ROTK regardless of all but the worst sorts of trailers.

It does feature one example of a "new" moment however, and a real gem at that. Gandalf coming up to confront a Nazgul (the Witch King I assume). That's a dramatic confrontation that has yet to be seen and one that I bet would pique the interest of the non-readers.

Of course no matter what your opinion of the content on this one is, we are still all in here muttering and chattering amongst ourselves with excitement. ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Seth,
I agree that the new trailer (or whatever you want to call it) doesn't contain much (if any) new stuff...but I still get goosebumps. I'm sure it's my own brain filling in the details and recalling obvious feelings from reading the book, but regardless, it still get's me pretty stoked.

BTW, I also love that Gandalf/Nazgul shot.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
The early part of this teaser is my favorite...especially that shot of Gandalf riding through the forest with the melancholy score being played. Very nice. Reminded me of some of the beautiful musical passages of "Fellowship" where music and images convey emotion and drama more effectively than some of the more straight forward, and frankly, clunky "We must go here next to stop the assault here bla bla bla" dialogue that IMO is what kept TTT from reaching the same heights.

-Dennis

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

Not to get to far off topic, but I felt the music and images in TTT worked just as well as they did in FOTR. Particular scenes that come to mind:
-Ents marching of the war
-Theoden's "Now for wrath..." scene
-Gandalf's charge
-Gandalf the White throwing off his cloak in Meduseld
-Theoden and Aragorn's last charge
-Aragorn awakening in the river
-Theoden at Theodred’s grave

Those are just a few scenes where music and images combined to give me a very powerful emotional reaction.

To keep this on topic, I will say that even though the preview doesn’t show much it still got me more excited than the last minute of the TTT preview on the FOTR TE DVD last year. At this point I’m more excited for the September ROTK trailer than for the movie itself! Prolly ‘cause it’s “only” seven and ½ weeks away.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's coming in September, Timothy. But I'm not sure about the exact day. But it's getting closer :D

EDIT: Whoops, hadn't seen Travis' post :b

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
My brother-in-law saw the trailer and he said it's fake because all the footages were from TTT.

So obviously, the casual fan won't think it great.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!!!!!! Scott, you are the coolest HTF guy in existence. Especially for the audio re-sync. I'm at work and shouldn't be downloading video, but I called up the fiancee at home and had her set it downloading. YAYYYYYYAYYYYYAYYYAYYY.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks for the hard work. Just saw it (I've been off the net for a few days), and it dazzled. Simple, nothing too mind-blowing. Just a taste, but it'll hold me until September, when it will really begin to HURT!

Thanks again,
Chuck

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Huh? He must have watched a different trailer than me?
No, he saw the same one that we saw because I provided it for him. I'm a huge fan so I picked up every little shots but for someone who hasn't read the book and saw Fellowship once and TTT once and don't pay much attention to details like the armors, names, places, ect. I can see how it might seem very similar. They would see

Guy riding a white horse
Pippen and Mery talking
shot of Gollum talking
shots of soldiers waiting for a massive ugly army arriving
arrows being shot
soldiers behind massive wall
shots of winged creature
shots of guys screaming while charging and attacking
shot of cute blonde girl (Eowyn)

So take away the dialogue which can be fake add-ons, poor trailer quality with lip-sync problem, lack of knowledge of the book, lack of concentration in picking details, I can see how someone could mistaken it to be a fake.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
DustinLC, good points.

I guess as such a big fan, the two trailers seem pretty distinctive to me so I have a hard time understanding how someone couldn't see that they're different.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Link has been taken down, it's been up for about a week, and multiple thousands of downloads, so I figure most HTF members now have it.

If you do not, and you "really" need it, drop me a private message and I'll see what I can do. Had to take it offline, people distributing my links is getting out of hand again.

On a related note, I've found a resident HTF member, Andrew Pratt, has reposted this at another forum against my wishs, among others who have used random alias', even after I changed the link for the second time and put up another disclaimer.

Not cool guys, not cool. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks