What's new

Some unusual finds the past couple of days! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I found a few discs that are hard to find. Nothing too special, but neat for me. Maybe neat for a few of you, too...if they are in your local stores and you're lucky enough to nab 'em first.
I was in Best Buy on Thursday and spotted several Rhino titles that were marked down last summer/fall to el-cheapo prices, and disappeared from store shelves the week before the markdowns hit! I had seen that Rhino was about to lower prices on a boatload of titles, including 6 that I wouldn't mind having, even though some of these are FS: Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes, Monkees: Head (both for my wife, a huge fan), Coach (a Cathy Lee Crosby movie very similar to Goldie Hawn's Wildcats, and good for a double-feature if the latter ever comes to DVD, but also good for CLC's topless scene! :b ), and the Skinamax comedies Galaxina, My Tutor, and My Chauffeur. If I recall, I posted something to HTF about these markdowns.
Well, as I say I spotted some of these in Best Buy on Thursday:
* $7.99 My Tutor
* $9.99 My Chauffeur
* $7.99 Coach
I didn't see the other three, but I'll keep an eye out. I assume that Rhino issued return credit to stores shipping these titles back to them instead of taking the markdown, so they simply have been sitting in warehouses during the holidays and are now leaking back out again. If anyone spots these in other chains, please give me a heads-up! I would love to own Galaxina...it would make a great double-feature with Barbarella (if the price on the latter would ever come down a bit...grrr!).
THEN, on Friday, I went into Circuit City with my wife and son to see if THEY had the other 3 titles. No such luck, but we picked up Weird Al's videos DVD while there (my son loves Transformers: The Movie, and "Dare To Be Stupid" is on this disc as a Devo-style video).
While there, we spotted 1 each of the 5 Simitar Godzilla discs that are out-of-print. These are the ones that Toho never gave permission for, and Simitar had to withdraw from the market just before they went belly-up (Simitar got the "rights" from American distributer UPA, but UPA didn't realize that the rights weren't theirs to give):
* Godzilla: King of the Monsters (the original w/Raymond Burr!)
* Godzilla Versus Mothra
* Godzilla Versus Monster Zero
* Godzilla's Revenge
* The Terror of Mechagodzilla
All are not-great-quality duo WS-FS versions except for the last, which is FS only (for a 1978 film...dammit!). Each has trailers for all 5 of these films, plus art gallery, trivia game, 5.1 sound, and DVD-ROM features. All sold there at CC for $15.99, which is $1 more than list and $6 more than Best Buy's website price. But, considering that these are OOP and I never see them anywhere else, and certainly not online (even rare-ish on eBay), then it was worth it for us, as my wife adores Godzilla movies. My understanding is that CC should not have even had those on the shelf, due to the rights issues. Well, these can go on the shelf right next to King Kong vs. Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters! :) Hey, that's more money than I've spent at CC for a loooong loooong time!

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Good finds,especially Godzilla vs Mothra!I love that film.I had to buy it off E-Bay.Galaxina is also one I've been looking for.I received Star 80 as a gift for x-mas and I want to see how the real Dorothy Stratton looks.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, someone who likes crap movie as much as I do! Glad to see these little comedy nuggets are available and so cheap too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks