What's new

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24 (1 Viewer)

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

this is getting me worried too. I was going to buy this first thing on Tuesday, but not now until I read some reviews...

Jason.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Same here Jay. When they said "new transfer" I imagined how it would look. Somehow, those screenshots still look wrong to me. They are just wrong in a different way. I also want to know if the missing bits of dialogue have been restored. At this point, I'll be suprised if they were.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Where exactly is the missing audio? I have the new disc and was gonna check to see if it was restored. Thanks

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, when Mr. Orange is passed out in Mr. Whites arms, Mr. Pink asks "Is he dead?" Mr. White is supposed to say "No, I think he's just passed out". There might be a few more instances but thats the only I remember offhand. I'm at work so I don't have the DVD in front of me to check the exact time. The chapter should begin with Steve Buscemi saying "Was that a f*cking setup or what?" It's right after that.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Ok. Just checked and yes "No, I think he just passed out" is in there and the mr. pink "Shut the F up" is there as well. Transfer looks good to me. However, I don't have anything to compare it to.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

THANK CHRIST.

I am now eagerly anticipating this, something I hadn't allowed myself to do until I was sure the missing dialogue had been restored, AND it's only 4 days away.

I'll probably hit up one of the 24-hour retailers at midnight to get this. My day has been made.

I don't care if every single supplement on the disc has 26 different Harry Knowles commentary tracks, "Reservoir Dogs" is on DVD with an anamorphic transfer and an intact soundtrack for the first time EVER. That right there is a cause for celebration.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm still going to wait for the reviews, but I'm happy the missing dialogue has been restored. I want video improvement too damn it.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
So this is released tomorrow and not a single review YET? That's certainly not a good sign and reason enough to worry...

To make matters worse, stores are giving the impression that this is a very limited release. Do both the stores and the studio want them to buy this blindly?

:thumbsdown:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the film and skimmed the extras.

As insanely annoying as it is to hear Harry Knowles refer to the film as "Res Dogs" about 3 or 4 times in approximately 30 seconds, it's absolutely worth it to have the missing dialogue restored.

Not every little thing from the 10th Anniversary disc made the cut on the new disc but it doesn't seem like anything really substantial or worthwhile was left off.

First-ever proper presentation of the film itself + cool packaging + a comparable selection of extras = satisfaction as far as I'm concerned. This is a must-buy if you're a true fan of this film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for your comments. The other real question remains - is this transfer an improvement over the truly poor 10th Anniversary release?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Watching last night was the first time I had watched the film on a 16x9 display.

Without directly comparing it to the last release it seemed like the framing was the same and that the black levels were better. There were cases when the black suits looked a little grey but there were also moments when I was sure that the blacks were more solid than the previous release.

The video improvements aren't "night and day" but they are noticeable.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just got this for 13.78 at Target. They didn't have it in the ad though, and they only had about 5-6 copies out. Not sure if that equals limited, but I suspect they'll move those copies fairly quickly.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I was *this* close to buying it this morning at Wally World for $12.64, but decided not to. And walked out with Justice League: Unlimited and Slither. Perhaps this weekend I'll pick it up. The Packaging is mighty enticing!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Being a Super-35 film, if the older non-anamorphic DVD is missing picture information at the sides compared to the newer anamorphic (10th and now 15th anniversary editions), then there's no way it can be considered the "correct" framing. It would clearly have to be zoomed in too much in order to lose anything at the sides, which would account for the different top/bottom framing as well on the newer versions.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks