What's new

Rear speakers wont play sound - Samsung surround system (1 Viewer)

ChrisPage

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Page
Hi guys,

Just picked up a Samsung HT-Z220 surround sound system: http://www.samsung.com/baltic/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theater/home-theater/HT-Z220R/XEE/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I've got zero experience with anything like this before but it was a huge bargain at only £69.99 (down from £169.99 because it was a display piece) so I grabbed it.

I bought an HDMI cable and an optical cable, everything is set up great. When I play DVD's in the system, all the speakers including the rear work great, its perfect, but when I just watch TV via Sky+ or play the XBox, PS3 or Wii, the rear speakers dont do anything, neither does the center speaker.

Basically, it works great with DVD's but anything else and there is no sound, so I know all the speakers work, but I'm guessing I've got it hooked up wrong?

I have both the HDMI and optical cables hooked up directly between my TV and the reciever and my Sky+, XBox, PS3 and Wii plugged directly into the various outlets on the back of the TV.

Any help would be great!
Thanks all,
Chris

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
You are going to want to use the Samsung receiver as the hub of your system, All of your inputs should be made to the receiver first if at all possible and with the highest quality connections. The only output to your TV should be your HDMI cable.

ChrisPage

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Page
Really? So plug the PS3, Wii, XBox and Sky directly into the receiver? I asked the dude in the shop if I should do this and he rolled his eyes at me like I was a moron /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by ChrisPage /forum/thread/300030/rear-speakers-wont-play-sound-samsung-surround-system#post_3684386
Really? So plug the PS3, Wii, XBox and Sky directly into the receiver? I asked the dude in the shop if I should do this and he rolled his eyes at me like I was a moron /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif
Instead of rolling his eyes as you like you were a moron, the moron at the store should have told you that you can't connect all that gear to your "receiver" because it doesn't have enough inputs to handle them. You bought what is known as a "home theater in a box" - an integrated system that is designed to provide a basic HT experience at a low price. The way most HTiBs manage this feat is to leave out features first and foremost, connectivity. Your model takes this a step further by integrating the DVD player - which means you can't upgrade the receiver and player independently, or replace just one if it breaks. If there is any way you can return this thing for a refund, I would strongly advise you to do so. Either that or think about using this as a bedroom system for watching movies and start saving for a real system for the living room.
Your unit has NO video inputs of any kind, one digital audio input (optical) and one analog audio input. So you can hook up an external audio source or two, but you cannot use the HTiB as an audio-video receiver - it simply was not designed to handle that function.
You don't say how you have the other components connected to the TV, nor do you give the TV model number, so it is hard to be sure what is going on there. But chances are there is no way you are going to be able to get 5.1 digital sound from the other components with your current set-up.
1) Unless your TV is one of a very few newer Vizio models, it can only output digital audio for its own internal tuners - meaning an over-the-air antenna or the QAM turner. Even if all your devices are connected to the TV using HDMI connections. the TV cannot pass digital audio for them to the receiver. It will either down-convert from 5.1 to 2.0 digital over an optical output to the HTiB or it won't pass anything at all. Probably the best you can do with your existing equipment is to output 2 channel audio from the TV to the HTiB and use Pro Logic or another pseudo-surround processing mode.
2) If you do have a newer Vizio, you might luck out if you have enough HDMI inputs on the TV.
Regards,
Joe

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sorry to say it, but you get what you pay for.
Here is what you really need: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-TX-SR507B-Receiver-HDMI-HDAudio/dp/B0029QCZ92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272220225&sr=1-1
I did a search, and Amazon.uk doesn't have any Onkyo HTIBs. Of course, with the receiver I linked to above, you still need speakers and subwoofer.

You have found out why we don't usually recommend HTIBs, unless it's like the Onkyos, that offer a real receiver with plenty of inputs. If you know of any sites there to check, see about an Onkyo 6200, or maybe the new 3300. Model numbers there may be different. You need to make sure it has plenty of digital inputs, no matter what brand it is. For HTIBs, Onkyo is the way to go......
Good luck!

ChrisPage

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Page
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah I'm thinking about putting this in the bedroom on the smaller 32" and buying a high spec system for the living room for the 50" as this isnt cutting it at all, but I've never had anything like this so I'm starting small and building up lol.

I figured out how to get the sound out of the rear speakers, its probably the most obvious thing ever for people in the know but I'm clueless and had it set to 'STEREO' instead of 'CINEMA', so the sound was only coming out of the front speakers and not the rear or the center ones.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by ChrisPage /forum/thread/300030/rear-speakers-wont-play-sound-samsung-surround-system#post_3684840
I figured out how to get the sound out of the rear speakers, its probably the most obvious thing ever for people in the know but I'm clueless and had it set to 'STEREO' instead of 'CINEMA', so the sound was only coming out of the front speakers and not the rear or the center ones. /img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif
What you're getting now is most likely Dolby ProLogic - which is a simulated surround sound that is created from a stereo source signal. While it provides a good "taste" of surround sound for someone who's new to it, it pales in comparison to true digital 5.1 audio. ProLogic can tide you over for now - but you owe it to yourself to upgrade to a true surround sound system to provide quality sound to match the quality image you get on your 50" set.

shiningxstar29

Auditioning
Real Name
Diane
Hey Joe,
I am having the same problem. Where do you go to change the stereo to cinema setting at?

Thanks,
Diane

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Originally Posted by shiningxstar29
Hey Joe,
I am having the same problem. Where do you go to change the stereo to cinema setting at?

Thanks,
Diane
Hi, Diane, and welcome to the forum.
82a5f4da_HTFWelcome.gif

Where you go to change the settings depends on the exact make and model of the equipment you have. I don't know how Chris did it on his Samsung HTiB, he seems to have figured that out by himself. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif But if you provide details on your receiver I'll be happy to look up the manual and try to figure out what is going on.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks