What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Rawhide Season 4, V. 1 coming in May (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Personally, I find cut episodes to be far more annoying than lesser picture quality. What would you chose, quality or completeness?

That's an easy one for me. I'll take completeness/uncut episodes over lesser quality every day of the week. It would take really, really poor A/V quality on a particular episode for me to even think about watching a cut episode instead.

Gary "it still comes back to how important the ep/show is to me - that has a huge impact on whether I'll watch something with either horrible quality or with cut prints" O.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

Well said, Gary, and an interesting discussion on the whole.

I have to admit that a part of me does feel like Neil, though because I do have a high tolerance level for what others may deem unacceptable quality and because my big DLP is actually pretty forgiving when compared to a Plasma or LCD, my retro-view is more nostalgic than anything else. I often wish I had an old 25 inch BLACK & WHITE CRT for watching some shows. Not because I think it will necessarily offer a more pleasing and commensurately appropriate viewing experience, but because I would love to just watch a set like that again. If I had the room for it, I would probably try to find one.

I used to watch all my TV on DVD sets on my front projector. I haven't owned a TV for years and never gave a thought to watching anything on computer. Why would I watch anything on a 19" screen when I finally had a kick ass HT with a 100" screen to watch things on?

A few things happened though that completely turned me around. More and more DVD releases were getting thrown out with less and less care making watching them on a large screen a chore. Also, my projector viewing time has always been limited to after hours and with the huge backlog of movies that I had, I hated to devote those precious hours to just watching mere TV shows on it. And if that wasn't bad enough, I was compiling a huge backlog of TV sets in addition to movies- sets with dozens of hours of content each. I finally got the bright idea to move all my TV shows upstairs where I could watch them anytime on the computer- and it's worked out so beautifully, I can't believe it took as long as it did to figure it out. Not only does the more modest screen size not magnify the shortcomings of so many of these releases, but it's made it so much more flexible to watch things here and there when the mood strikes, and not have to worry about making a big production of it (i.e -having to watch for hours at a time so as not to put undue stress on an expensive bulb starting/shutting down the pj more frequently.)

And one of the best benefits is- watching on a smaller computer screen in a more intimate setting, channels that whole nostalgia factor so much stronger.

I don't have a problem watching big budget, high def stuff like Mad Men or BSG on the pj, but for classic stuff like this nothing beats simple little computer drive and screen for me now.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

I used to watch all my TV on DVD sets on my front projector. I haven't owned a TV for years and never gave a thought to watching anything on computer. Why would I watch anything on a 19" screen when I finally had a kick ass HT with a 100" screen to watch things on?

A few things happened though that completely turned me around. More and more DVD releases were getting thrown out with less and less care making watching them on a large screen a chore. Also, my projector viewing time has always been limited to after hours and with the huge backlog of movies that I had, I hated to devote those precious hours to just watching mere TV shows on it. And if that wasn't bad enough, I was compiling a huge backlog of TV sets in addition to movies- sets with dozens of hours of content each. I finally got the bright idea to move all my TV shows upstairs where I could watch them anytime on the computer- and it's worked out so beautifully, I can't believe it took as long as it did to figure it out. Not only does the more modest screen size not magnify the shortcomings of so many of these releases, but it's made it so much more flexible to watch things here and there when the mood strikes, and not have to worry about making a big production of it (i.e -having to watch for hours at a time so as not to put undue stress on an expensive bulb starting/shutting down the pj more frequently.)

And one of the best benefits is- watching on a smaller computer screen in a more intimate setting, channels that whole nostalgia factor so much stronger.

I don't have a problem watching big budget, high def stuff like Mad Men or BSG on the pj, but for classic stuff like this nothing beats simple little computer drive and screen for me now.

I'm in a similar situation with a projection screen. However, for me with two small children the only time I can watch anything is the hour before they go to bed (7pm - 8pm) when we watch as a family on a 32" LCD in the family room, and after 9pm (after they are in bed). Even when we watch something together (just finished Dennis the Menace) part of me wishes I could have seen it on the big screen.

So choosing between big screen or little screen in the evening provides no benefit on viewing time, so big screen wins every time. For me the nostalgia factor is being able to watch the old shows, while the big screen allows me to see it in a way I never could back then. That's what makes it interesting to me (best of both worlds). The video quality would have to be really bad for me to go down to a little screen. So far I can;t think of a commercial disks I've purchased beening that bad. And I have a pretty good mix of shows across era's. Even some PD stuff.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I find cut episodes to be far more annoying than lesser picture quality. What would you chose, quality or completeness?

Completeness without a doubt. And with original commercials and sponsor tags, which is why I sometimes prefer to watch copies transferred from 16mm rather than their commercially released DVD counterparts.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Another way I get my nostalgia fill for the day is during my drive to and from work (90 minutes total). I like listen to old radio shows. So far "Sharp Shooter" w/Jimmy Stewart that was later turned into the "Restless Gun" on TV, "Fort Laramie" w/Raymond Burr, and Gunsmoke (whichIi actually prefer to the TV show). These are all freely accessible for download (fit about 50 mp3's to a CD) and contain public announcements and advertisement from the time. Just in case anyone else has a commute that can take advantage of it.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Tvshowsondvd.com has announced Season 4, Volume 2 for November 1st. As part of their annoucement they have the quote "the studio describes it as 'All 14 episodes digitally re-mastered and a bonus episode from Season 5.'" Can that be right? The Season 4, Volume 1 release was not remastered. Why would CBS/Paramount now go ahead and digitally remaster half a season?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The screencaps there look really bad, totally like VHS to DVD quality :( It's a shame CBS/Paramount couldn't at least do a simple remaster of these episodes. We waited three years for this? And it's not like they have a ton of releases anymore to eat up their remastering budget. They should have tried to make this release look a little better, especially since they're still charging top dollar for it. Supposedly Season 4, Volume 2 is going to be "digitally re-mastered." I'll believe that when I see it. If it is, then why wasn't Season 4, Volume 1? CBS/Paramount continues to disappoint!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
vnisanian2001 said:
Blame the dwindling U.S. economy for this. If it wasn't for that, I just bet they would have been remastered.
I'm sure this is a probable cause for the much less than desirable image quality...I'm quite distressed at them not being remastered too...but I love this show so much I'd likely buy the next volume anyway...some episodes look a whole lot worse than others, most about the same marginal PQ...so far, i'm not suffering really problematic audio...acceptable to me, but only as a grail series, darn.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashgear

I'm sure this is a probable cause for the much less than desirable image quality...I'm quite distressed at them not being remastered too...but I love this show so much I'd likely buy the next volume anyway...some episodes look a whole lot worse than others, most about the same marginal PQ...so far, i'm not suffering really problematic audio...acceptable to me, but only as a grail series, darn.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's a huge grail show (Top 5 of all time for me) so I'm not going to stop buying these, but if it wasn't I have to admit I'd be tempted to stop.

Gary "very disappointed at the A/V quality after such great releases previously" O.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
As it's widely rumoured that Rawhide will start airing on Encore Westerns channel next year, I would hope that the episodes are being prepared for broadcast. A pity that they could not wait until they had remastered the S4 episodes before releasing the first half on dvd. I do have the region 4 releases but have not had a chance to watch any yet.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Gary OS said:
     Quote:

These are my thoughts exactly.  It's a huge grail show (Top 5 of all time for me) so I'm not going to stop buying these, but if it wasn't I have to admit I'd be tempted to stop.

Gary "very disappointed at the A/V quality after such great releases previously" O.
Well said, Gary...we suffer likewise...but our love for Rawhide is powerful stuff, indeed...I collect and enjoy a variety of western tv, but for me this one can't be beat...and the show remained strong despite the change of producer, at least through season 5, and still a lot of great episodes thereafter...all the outdoor filming and guys that look and handle their horses like they know what they're doing and earn a living on a saddle... great cast for the most part, great guest stars, action, stunts...good, often great scripts...and, for me, the wonderful discovery of how much Eric Fleming meant as the core of this show ...a forgotten and underated talent.
westumulka said:
As it's widely rumoured that Rawhide will start airing on Encore Westerns channel next year, I would hope that the episodes are being prepared for broadcast. A pity that they could not wait until they had remastered the S4 episodes before releasing the first half on dvd. I do have the region 4 releases but have not had a chance to watch any yet.
I sure hope your R4 dvds are better, but don't see as how they can be...maybe they just intend to offer Encore the first 3 remastered seasons? I can't see that being acceptable to Encore Westerns subscribers...but 99 episodes would suffice for 5 day a week or daily strip programing, maybe?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I can't see that being acceptable to Encore Westerns subscribers...but 99 episodes would suffice for 5 day a week or daily strip programing, maybe?
I don't think that's going to bother Encore Westerns. Have you seen the versions of Have Gun-Will Travel they have been running? Some episodes have less than stellar quality, more like 16mm prints. And that's a show with only 2 seasons officially remastered by CBS/Paramount, seasons 4 and 5. Any complete series set of Rawhide and Have Gun will be a mess, as you'll have some if not most of the episodes not digitally remastered, while a few are.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I just got Gunsmoke Season 5, Volume 1. The back cover says the episodes have been digitally remastered and a spot check confirms it; the episodes look really good. Nice job on CBS/Paramount's part. Season 5 is one of the more rare seasons of the show (along with season 6), and I'm glad they took the time to remaster it. This begs the question though, what happened to Rawhide Season 4, Volume 1? Was this an anomaly, or a mistake? I'd be interested to see if Rawhide Season 4, Volume 2 is digitally remastered. I haven't picked up Season 4, Volume 1 yet because of the remastering issue. I probably will when the price drops down enough.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
jdee28 said:
I just got Gunsmoke Season 5, Volume 1. The back cover says the episodes have been digitally remastered and a spot check confirms it; the episodes look really good. Nice job on CBS/Paramount's part. Season 5 is one of the more rare seasons of the show (along with season 6), and I'm glad they took the time to remaster it. This begs the question though, what happened to Rawhide Season 4, Volume 1? Was this an anomaly, or a mistake? I'd be interested to see if Rawhide Season 4, Volume 2 is digitally remastered. I haven't picked up Season 4, Volume 1 yet because of the remastering issue. I probably will when the price drops down enough.
Thanks John for posting this info...here's hoping this more than just implies that RAWHIDE S4V2 is remastered also...maybe just leaving V1 as a unexplained botch job...if so, nobody can explain that loss of oversight...V1 should be watched on a smaller screen unfortunately, not the big LCD I prefer to use...I just hope to see Season 5 and 6 releases remastered...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Region 2 UK release of Rawhide: The Fourth Season has been pushed back to Monday 5th March, 2012 (source: Play.com DVD pre-order listing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks