What's new

Rawhide Season 4, V. 1 coming in May (2 Viewers)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Whats the story behind the syndication version of Gunsmoke retitling it "Marshall Dillion" I figured we get a different episode intro , but its the same right down to the title seq and the name Gunsmoke..what makes these Marshall Dillion episodes ?

jrol

Grip
Real Name
John
Gary OS said:
     Quote: At least, if worse comes to worse, we have the Australian releases we can fall back on as Rawhide fans should CBS stall out the dvds here and Encore not come through.  But it is weird and frustrating. Gary "hopefully we'll have some news soon about S5 coming either via DVD or TV" O.
I am not up on my RAWHIDE trivia/info, but was the opening episode ("Incident of the Tumbleweed Wagon") always aired without any opening titles or credits? The Encore Westerns marathon showed the episode as starting with Eric Fleming's narration, no RAWHIDE title or theme, and I just wondered if that's how this first episode was always presented.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh, how I'm desperate for season 5 to appear on dvd...even unmastered, of course...like many of us here, I'm too much of a fan of this immortal TV duster to not want RAWHIDE in it's entirety... "Incident of the Portrait", "...Prodigal Son", "....The Dogfaces" are just 3 of my absolute favourites in the whole series...great directorial work by Ted Post, Christian Nyby....guest stars like John Ireland, James Whitmore, John Dehner, Edward Andrews, Royal Dano, Claude Akins, Ruta Lee, Susan Oliver, Albert Salmi, Robert Loggia, Cesar Romero...rare TV guest stars like Claude Rains, Walter Slezak and Eddy Bracken...and to echo Dave's comment, I sure hope we get the rest of the half hour GUNSMOKE as well...

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Dave Scarpa said:
I really hope CBS will at least finish the 30 min gunsmoke this year, the 30 minute ones are my favs. I would'nt mind as much if we didnt get the hour long eps, to me the 30 min ones are true gunsmoke, the stories are tight and the central characters figure into the plots, not incidental to them like in later shows
I also hope CBS/Paramount releases season 6 of Gunsmoke this year. That would be like "finishing" the series for me too. Season 6 is the rarest of the Gunsmoke seasons to find complete, unedited, and with good visual quality.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Dave Scarpa said:
Whats the story behind the syndication version of Gunsmoke retitling it "Marshall Dillion" I figured we get a different episode intro , but its the same right down to the title seq and the name Gunsmoke..what makes these Marshall Dillion episodes ?
Usually the 30 minute Gunsmokes are syndicated with the Marshall Dillon titles. However Encore Westerns is apparently using the same HD masters as were used for the DVDs, and they were all created with the "Gunsmoke" title and end credits.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It looks like Encore's airings of Marshal Dillon and Rawhide are following the pattern of their airing of Have Gun- Will Travel. Wherever an HD master has been made for DVD, they air it; whenever an HD master has not been made, they air a more beaten up, faded print. Does Encore Westerns air the complete Have Gun - Will Travel, all 226 episodes, or do they skip around too? I don't really follow their HGWT airings that closely, as I already had them all on video and DVD.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Dave Scarpa said:
Pre-off network syndication, and the season the hour-long GUNSMOKE started airing on Saturdays, the Gunsmoke half-hour shows aired on CBS as MARSHAL DILLON on Tuesdays at 7:30 PM for three seasons or so, 1961-64.

S

silverking

jrol said:
I am not up on my RAWHIDE trivia/info, but was the opening episode ("Incident of the Tumbleweed Wagon") always aired without any opening titles or credits? The Encore Westerns marathon showed the episode as starting with Eric Fleming's narration, no RAWHIDE title or theme, and I just wondered if that's how this first episode was always presented.
No, it always had the usual opening credits & title, oddly the 'on screen' episode title is just 'Incident of the Tumbleweed' , no mention of the wagon. Probably an error by the titler. Although this is the premiere episode it was not the first filmed. They probably use it as the opener as Fleming & Eastwood are quite heavily featured.

jrol

Grip
Real Name
John
silverking said:
No, it always had the usual opening credits & title, oddly the 'on screen' episode title is just 'Incident of the Tumbleweed' , no mention of the wagon. Probably an error by the titler. Although this is the premiere episode it was not the first filmed. They probably use it as the opener as Fleming & Eastwood are quite heavily featured.
What I was talking about, is the fact that Encore Westerns aired the episode during the New Years marathon in a version which had no "Rawhide" opening credits whatsoever, simply a fade-in to Eric Fleming's opening narration.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
For Marshal Dillon, Encore Westerns is currently airing "The Pest Hole," which is not the 3rd episode in the series, but the 24th from 4/14/56. I think that makes it pretty clear that they are not airing all the episodes.. They are also not airing all the episodes of Rawhide either. If you go to this link which has the titles of the episodes they're airing, http://www.starz.com/series/rawhide missing from season 1 are "Incident of the Golden Calf," "Incident of the Misplaced Indians," "Incident Below the Brazos," "Incident of the Judas Trap," and "Incident in No Man's Land." More episodes are missing from their airings of seasons 2, 3, and 4. Very disappointing.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I did a side/side comparison of today's Encore Rawhide episode "Incident at Alabaster Plain" S1 ep 2 with my DVD S1 set disc. The episode is indeed cut with the following scenes missing: DVD: 18:00 min elapsed point, 17:00 elapsed on my DirecTV DVR indicator: Drovers getting cleaned up at camp to get ready to leave for the wedding party. Most of that scene is cut from the Encore version. The scene resumes (Encore) at the scene where Favor is shaving and Rowdy walks up talking about the party. DVD: 26:00 elasped, 23:00 Encore: Dance scene at the party wirh Rowdy dancing with the bride. This scene is cut from the Encore version. Encore resumes with Favor in the house scene. DVD: 33:17 elapsed. 30:00 Encore: Droves at an outdoor party table, talking about what happened earlier in the house. That scene is cut from the Encore version. Encore resumes at the herd scene.
2z69sb4.jpg
on The apparent Encore decision to go with syndicated cut versions for airing this series. Maybe they're not all cut versions but it seems that capturing the later seasons S5+, not released yet in R1, will be a gamble on getting complete episode versions. Comparing picture Q, it's going to vary by provider (cable, FIOS, satt), but the S1 DVD episode blew away the Encore episode. That was expected though, for me, as DirecTV compresses most of their std channels on an over-crowded satellite. Encore is expected to light up some of their genre channels to HD this year. Looks like maybe some Australian online stores will be getting some business down the road.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Encore Westerns has been one of the few places I could get complete episodes over satellite (before my subscription ran out in September). It is definitely disappointing to hear they are now running cut episodes. One can only hope this is an exception and not the rule.

If only there was a channel that ran the older shows, complete and from the best available materials, provided a la carte.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
It's sounding more and more like the Aussies are going to be getting my business.

Gary "very disappointed with this development" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Gary OS

It's sounding more and more like the Aussies are going to be getting my business.

Gary "very disappointed with this development" O.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I don't understand why Encore would want to show the cut versions - they aren't selling advertising in those extra minutes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisALM

Gary "I think I hear some R4 dvds calling out to me" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Who knows why they are doing this.  At the end of the day the biggest problem is that they (Encore) apparently just don't care.  :eek: Gary "I think I hear some R4 dvds calling out to me" O.
It's a bummer for sure about Encore's airings. Does anyone here have any of the R4 DVD sets and can confirm that they are the uncut versions, same as the previous R1 releases?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can blame Encore as they appear to be clueless. The fault no doubt lies with CBS Syndication sending them the wrong elements. Someone must have pulled decades old tapes and sent those instead of the newly remastered versions.

jrol

Grip
Real Name
John
Neil Brock said:
I don't think you can blame Encore as they appear to be clueless. The fault no doubt lies with CBS Syndication sending them the wrong elements. Someone must have pulled decades old tapes and sent those instead of the newly remastered versions.
That's true, Encore must deal with the versions and elements they receive, and I doubt that they would have passed over the uncut remastered episodes if CBS Syndication had given them a choice in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks