Rawhide Season 4, V. 1 coming in May

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I read that review a few days ago. My opinion on it: [​IMG] [​IMG] as well. I got a [​IMG] out of this reviewer's line of "The picture-quality is unaccountably bad; I've seen dollar DVDs of public domain titles look better than this $39.98 set of 15 shows." As Gary knows, I tend to be pickier than some of the older-show's collectors on this forum but that's funny, to compare general PD prints to the non-HD-remastered CBS transfers of this show. I checked out a couple of discs from S4V1 to get a fresh view of the Q. They're not as good, obviously, as the S2-3 HD-remastered sets but nowhere near general PD quality imo. If S4V2 is comparable to S4V1's transfers, I'll be glad that I didn't heed Stuart Galbraith's DVDTalk review recommendation.

2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Well said, Jeff! And as always, the emotes are fantastic and spot on!

Gary "Season Four is holding up just fine for me in terms of the storylines" O.

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Thanks ;) I think one of those steers in Mr Favor's herd read that review as well and reacted similarly [​IMG]

4. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    I'm glad the picture quality of the sets aren't as bad as that reviewer makes it sound! Instead of skipping them, I will definitely try to pick up Rawhide Season 4 whenever I find a good deal!

5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

John, I think you'll be satisfied with the S4 transfers. If you like the show, they're far from the category of general "PD quality". We all wish CBS would have continued their HD transfers from the S2-3 sets but it all comes down to where a show ranks in a collector's list. The S4V1 transfers are not sharp-focused like the HD sets with S2-3 but nowhere near as bad as the reviewer's comments stated. I have all of the previous sets of this show from CBS.

6. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Looks like Rawhide will be premiering on Encore Westerns January 1st with an all day marathon! It'll then air weekdays at 5pm. I'm looking forward to this! Finally, a chance to see all the episodes uncut and not have to wait years for CBS/Paramount to finish the series, if they ever do! Hopefully the prints they use will look as good as the hour long Gunsmokes that they run! Unfortunately, to make room for Rawhide, it looks like The Virginian, Cheyenne and Maverick are all off their schedule. Hope they come back at some point.

7. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Maverick and Cheyenne have been on Encore for quite a while now, so I'm not suprised. However, Virginian not nearly as long and with the number of seasons and episodes that is a bit of a suprise to me. That said, if they really have been dropped, Rawhide obviously can't replace them all so I wonder if we may have some other new options coming onboard. That would be nice.

8. Statskeeper

Statskeeper Second Unit

I heard that The Virginian is coming back sometime in 4th quarter 2012, and that Laredo will be airing sometime early in 2012.

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Does that mean Timeless Media may get new remastered prints of Laredo or was the previous Season one and two set remastered and up to par with The Virginian?

10. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    It looks like the visual quality of the Rawhide and 30 minute Gunsmoke episodes now running on Encore Westerns are on par with what's on DVD. The only caveat is that they might not be airing all the episodes of either series; they're skipping around a bit.

11. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

That may have just been for the marathon showing. According to the schedule posted by Encore they will be airing (at least) the first 21 Rawhide episodes in order starting on January 3rd. They typically have been following the episode order for most series I've seen listed on Encore, so I see no reason to think it won't continue.

12. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for the 30 minute Gunsmokes, as the regular airings are following the marathon order, and they pretty much are skipping around, with only 6 episodes from the first season,

13. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Just looking at the Encore schedule the regular airings don't start until tomorrow (1/3) and show them in order starting with episode 1 and staying in order throughout the month. What scheduling are you looking at? I'm curious about the descrepancy between what we are both seeing.

14. jrol

jrol Extra

John
    I watched the Rawhide Season 1 episodes I dvr'ed during the Encore Westerns marathon on New Years Day, and most of the episodes appear to be cut versions, running 46-48 minutes in length and for the most part sporting the old Viacom tails. Hope the following Rawhide seasons are going to be the uncut versions.

15. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    If you go to this link, you can see the names of the Marshal Dillon episodes that they will be airing this month: http://www.starz.com/series/gunsmokeakamarshaldillon There are only six first season episodes included. If they were showing them all, Gunsmoke aka Marshal Dillon episode 1 should be Matt Gets It and Gunsmoke aka Marshal Dillon episode 2 should be Heat Spell. Magnus should be Gunsmoke aka Marshal Dillon episode 12, while Reed Survives should be Gunsmoke aka Marshal Dillon episode 13. If you go to this link, you can see the names of the Rawhide episodes they're airing. http://www.starz.com/series/rawhide There are quite a few episodes missing there, from seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4. Disappointing that Encore Westerns apparently didn't license all the episodes of either show.

16. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow when they actually start to air regularly. I've always checked the downloadable schedule at the Encore site (http://www.starz.com/guides/1201WST1.pdf). In this schedule they only list the epsiode number and not the title, but I've never seen the epsiode number to vary from the original airing order in all the series I'v collected so far. Now it could be that the number just represents the order of the syndicated episodes in the package and not the airing order. And that for the majority of the other packages they air, the package order and the original airing order happened to agree. But maybe these vary from the norm as i've seen on Encore in the past. I don't need any of the early Gunsmokes or Rawhides, but I may just set them up to record so I can see what is going on.

17. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

So it appears the Rawhide's are in order and the 30 minute Gunsmoke's are not. Well at this point I am only missing the season 6 Gunsmoke's (of the b/w era) and they will most probably be released by CBS at some point. Rawhide is the bigger predicament being that 4 more seasons still need to be released, and we went from remastered prints to lesser prints in the last season released. And now we have the report of cut episodes being aired on Encore. Hopefully, they will at least make the complete run.

18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

At least, if worse comes to worse, we have the Australian releases we can fall back on as Rawhide fans should CBS stall out the dvds here and Encore not come through. But it is weird and frustrating.

Gary "hopefully we'll have some news soon about S5 coming either via DVD or TV" O.

19. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I forgot about the R4 release. And with the fact they are ahead of R1 in the season release schedule, and if CBS is no longer going to put in the effort to provide better prints they become even more a viable an option. Although with the shipping rate I believe they are a bit more pricey. Thanks for reminding that we still have an option beyond R1 and Encore. Edit: And I see all 8 seasons have been released in R4.

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    There does certainly seem to be some editting going on with rawhide, so the western channel will be an ok source to watch the unreleased episodes but not for archival purposes. I really hope CBS will at least finish the 30 min gunsmoke this year, the 30 minute ones are my favs. I would'nt mind as much if we didnt get the hour long eps, to me the 30 min ones are true gunsmoke, the stories are tight and the central characters figure into the plots, not incidental to them like in later shows