What's new

Question for people who print custome covers... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
How do you cut them down to keepcase size in a clean and easy way? I've tried using scissors but no matter how careful I am, it never looks as good as it should. It's always a little uneven and unprofessional looking. What's the secret?

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I have a paper cutter, one with the grid on the surface and the big blade that swings up on the right side.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, I'll give these all a shot.

I'm gonna look for one of those mini cutting boards this afternoon.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a question about printing custom covers..
whats the best type of paper to use for covers?
I have an hp printer

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you can make a cutting board by taking a large flat piece of cardboard (in art school we would use the back of a finished pad of oversize paper, but you can use the side of a large box etc) and just wrapping duct or masking tape over it until its completely covered.
i do prefer having a true cutting mat, but the homemade version will do in a pinch.

also, those rotary trimmers are pretty sweet.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Definitely use HP paper.

I prefer the more expensive high-gloss paper because it tends to look more professional, imo.

As long as the paper is suited for your specific printer, any type of paper should work fine. Some prefer matte and some soft-gloss or high-gloss sheets. The only times that quality becomes an issue is when you use Epson or another brand of paper with your HP printer. Than your colors are not rendered accurately and the image will not represent what you see on screen, everything will appear off.

I made this mistake last mont, after spending $50 on a huge pack of high-gloss HP paper for my Epson Stylus CX660, I was really pissed!

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Marco.
so everyone uses mostly uses the photo paper?
I was wondering if there such a thing as a type of paper similar to actual dvd inserts. smooth and thin, but not glossy

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen La:

I use Epson Photo Paper Super A3/Super B from CompUSA. Its 13" x 19" which I cut in half and make 2 sheets almost the size of legal paper.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
On the rare occassion I do this, I just use heavy matte photo paper. Once it's behind the plastic jacket you'll be pushed to notice a difference.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
I think Staples and other places sell "DVD Insert" paper, in matte and glossy versions. I don't know yet if it's any different than photo paper, but I suspect it is. I intend to find out soon, since I just got my first batch of "slim double" cases from Staples this week and intend to do my first conversion to slims this weekend.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
thanks everyone.
if affordable I may check out those staples dvd inserts..
would be cool if they were sized just right too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks