What's new

PS3 stuck in 1080P mode, what to do? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I brought my PS3 over to a place that had a 1080P screen, but i forgot to set the resolution back to 720P before I brought it back to my house. I can play Standard DVDs just fine, but I cant get into the setup menu to switch the resolution back to 720P. Is there another way?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Found this out the hard way when I was moving gear around and had to re-setup the system.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funny thing is, I've become intimately familiar with the 5-second-hold-power feature.

My living room TV is component input, and my bedroom TV is DVI (via HDMI). The living room TV is 1080i/480p and the bedroom TV is 1080i/720p/480p. I walk the PS3 back and forth frequently (when I don't want to disturb the others in the apartment or want to game natively at 720p). I always have to reset because changing from the multi-av out to HDMI yields a blank screen (as in the PS3 won't auto-sense the output or display resolution support).

Sad, since they're essentially using a PC video card, and most PC video cards can autosense when new monitors are plugged in instantly, and what video resolutions they support. And there's a much more limited number of supported resolutions for TVs than there is for various monitors.

Maybe in a future firmware revision...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When using HDMI/DVI, it detects what resolutions the set is capable of, not for component though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks