What's new

Poseidon Adventure remake? (1 Viewer)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Would anyone be suprised if there was a remake of all the 70's disaster movies. Think of the possibilities with today's visual effects. Personally, I'm waiting for them to redo Airport '79 (insert sarcasm).

Chris

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I would be up for a remake of The Towering Inferno because they then might release a decent DVD of the original.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you on that one Dale. Out of all the 70's disaster movies, I enjoyed The Towering Inferno the best. Speaking of which, does Fox plan on revisiting the original Poseidon Adventure?

Chris

Blu

Screenwriter
I find myself in a dilemma. I hate remakes. Despise them and refuse to see them since it just encourages Hollywood to make more of them which for the most part are unnecessary and worse.

I did see King Kong but that is a bit different. I would refuse to see Casablanca and probably picket the theater.

With all of that said, Poseidon looks pretty good and I LOVED the original.

What to do?

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Yeah that would rock me too! (((Sensurround))) syndrome, I’m still suffering from aftershocks!:D

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Count me in, I think this remake issue is getting a bit out of hand, why doesn’t Hollywood recruit new screen writers with fresh ideas, instead of this nonsense they keep turning up, just for the sake of few dozen CGI and some Dolby Digital noise!

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Apparently, it's Josh Lucas who's the male lead actor, not Kurt Russel. Just like Stealth, the trailers fool you into believing who the lead actor is. Somehow I just don't see Josh Lucas as a male lead actor. A supporting actor yes but not lead.

Anyway, going to skip this movie. Just doesn't look good.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

You are a wise man. I wish I had skipped it, but I was out with friends..... you get the picture. It was the worst thing I've ever seen, and I've seen some BAD movies in my life. Actually, I don't think it was a movie. I think it was a computer game presented in Imax, or maybe it was a theme park ride. Whatever it was, run away in the opposite direction.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I hate to tell you this, but Hollywood has been in the remake business since there's been a Hollywood, long before CIG and Dolby Digital (or sound, for that matter.) How many version of Ben-Hur have there been? The Front Page? (Including the best adapation of them all, His Girl Friday.) And then there are the musical versions, which in the old days were made by Hollywood and not for Broadway. (The Philadelphia Story became High Society for no good reason, to pick a random example.) The idea that today's Hollywood has degenerated from from previous lofty height of originality is just laughable. It has always been 90% hackwork to 10% genuine art - which is the same proportions you'll find in every other creative endeavor. It isn't that people churn out crap because that's what they prefer or because they hire people who can only make crap. They churn out crap because making anything else is so damned hard, even for the talented. Stephen King has turned out some terrific books - and some total misfires. Orson Welles had the greatest debut in the history of movies and spent the rest of his life trying to live up to it. (And only very rarely even coming close.)

Originality fails as often as imitation, and it sucks just as hard when it does. And some remakes are better than the originals. (Does anybody remember that Bogart's Maltese Falcon was the second attempt to bring that book to the screen?) Art happens when all the planets are aligned. It can't be commanded or ordered into being. Craft obeys orders. Art just happens.

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully the running time is pretty short, and the characterizations are even shorter. As the film rolls on, it became a game of guessing who was going to die next, and some did so in spectacular fashion, but you really don't care either way when it happens. The actual tidal wave flip sequence that turns over Poseidon was pretty decent, but by no means innovative nor spectacular.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C (or sea).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This movie was bad and yet not as bad as I thought it would be. I was embarassed for people that I like (Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss and Mia Maestro) but they all knew that this movie wasn't exactly destined to be a classic and so did I.

The best thing is that it takes 15 minutes to get to the tidal wave. Mercifully, the movie was relatively short unlike nearly every other movie made today.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think remakes can be interesting. I was up for an updated Poseidon Adventure and although I have extremely fond feelings toward Towering Inferno, I'd love to see a modern remake.

Poseidon, unfortunately, ain't very good. Petersen can't create good characters and moving situations - he's a very mechanical director these days...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I'm guessing they cut this down a fair bit. There's that scene in the trailer where Christian gives Jennifer the ring. There's the coincidence that Elena is with the guy that got kicked down the elevator shaft that is never brought up. Probably the right choice.

There's a bit of misdirection with Christian saying he was on the swim team, pegging him as Shelley Winters. Why does the annoying but useful kid have to wander off, so that he has to be rescued separately?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Kurt Russel is my favorite actor and I like action movies, but this one I just had no interest in seeing.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Saw this tonight. It should have said on the poster "Brought to you by the letters P and U."

Some clever deaths, but nothing in terms of characters and story, there was nothing there. I know its a disaster film, but even those movies need something to hang the stunts and set pieces on.

Das Bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks