What's new

Poltergeist SE (1 Viewer)

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
That is a perfect cover! I sure as hell hope that the final extras are more than that two-part documentary. But as Pat said, a good transfer is more important than any extra.

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Sorry all, but back to the Jump Cut for one second. I hadn't watched Poltergeist for at least 10 years before I bought the DVD a few years ago. I remember watching it and getting to the jump cut scene where I thought to myself, "great, another defective disc", that's how jarring it was to me.

As a side note, I started searching the internet about the "skipping" disc problem and that's how I discovered this fabulous forum :)

(OGM, I just looked at my Join Date on the right ... has it been over 6 years already???)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hugely disappointed in the severe lack of extras for this so-called 25th anniversary "special edition". Honestly, there's nothing worthwhile in this new release besides the new transfer... so what was the point of making us wait for so many years? It didn't need to take this long just to get a new transfer. It would be like finally getting the Bladerunner special edition, only to have it be a remastered 1992 director's cut with a 15 minute featurette to go with it!

I'd been holding off on getting this movie on DVD for years now in anticipation of them FINALLY doing it justice with a great special edition, and now I feel sorely letdown by WB. If all they bothered to do was remaster the transfer, why couldn't they have done that 5 yrs ago for its 20th anniversary? A special edition has been rumored for years now (even before the 2002 20th anniversary), but obviously they weren't devoting any of that time putting together a new documentary on the film, or interviewing cast/crew. Hell, I'd even settle for the E! True Hollywood Story about the Poltergeist films as a supplement on this DVD. That would at least be more comprehensive than the new documentary "They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeists Revealed", which is reportedly about real life psychics and paranormal investigators, and has NOTHING to do with the movie itself. :angry:

We are in a time where feature-loaded special edition DVDs are common place, so the implication that this new 25th anniversary release is something "special" compared to the original DVD, and yet lacks any worthwhile features, is an insult to the fans of the film that have anxiously awaited a genuine special edition after all these years. Yes, a new great looking transfer will be nice to have, but that's just not good enough for me anymore when it comes to some of my favorite films on my DVD wishlist.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Agreed - good that we're getting a new transfer, but the lack of worthwhile bonus features is a real kick in the nuts.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
More extras are on this, according to davis dvd besides that real life spirits doc, there will also be a making of featurette , plus a trailer gallery! Now that sounds better !

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
To me the lack of extras on this upcoming DVD is absolutely a confirmation that people still don't want to talk about the movie and what REALLY happened on-set in terms of who directed what.

If it was all a "myth" and not just rumor, WHY are there no new documentaries on its production? No commentaries? No interviews? And this set coming from a studio renowned for producing outstanding supplemental features...seems more than a little fishy to me.

As they say where there's smoke there's fire, and I'd bet Warner just opted to go the P.C. route and not address them at all. I'm not saying there's even "Bad Blood" between Hooper and Spielberg -- just that it's obviously a sensitive subject and nobody wants to step on anyone else's toes here.

I'm not surprised, either, I'm more disappointed there's no HD-DVD or Blu Ray version coming along with it :frowning:

Sounds like the extras from the laserdisc set from way back when. Again, better than nothing, but a little disappointing, if unsurprising :)

The lack of deleted scenes is unfortunate though, I would've hoped we would've seen what hit the cutting room floor. :frowning:

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Disappointed about the extra's.. but I do hope the picture quality it is up to par being that it is a 25 year mark.. That and the sound!!!!!

Bring it on......

P.S. It has been over 6 years for me.... good lord...... Time is flying by!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, since I just got a PS3, I was hoping at least there would be a BD version I could get. I wonder if Spielberg's involvement is keeping this from Hi-Def. Aside from CE3K, there seems the be reluctance to release Spielberg films to Hi-Def.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to inital reports Home Media Retailing is reporting that the 25th Anniversary release of Poltergeist is coming to HD-DVD and BD (as well as a one off theatrical screening in select cities)

"Warner Home Video will release the newly remastered and restored Poltergeist: 25th Anniversary Edition Oct. 9 (prebook Sept. 4) on DVD and high-definition disc........The DVD will be available for $19.97; HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc for $28.99. Special features include the two-part documentary "They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeists Revealed."

I'm wondering if this is a mistake since previous word stated that there were no plans for Hi-Def, but the fact that there are actual MSRPs posted makes it sound legit.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Dvd active now has the dvd back cover up, it mentions everything we we were talking about here before, except no trailer gallery, just 1 theatrical trailer.Ill still get this since it has a new transfer, plus I never had the older dvd.Its pretty nice that this, and twilight zone movie are coming the same day.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So no original featurette either? Basically nothing that relates to the making of the film. They must really be scared of offending Spielberg

WB should never have teased this release for over two years.

I'll get it if it shows up on Blu-Ray. I'm not so sure if I will otherwise

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Yeah, since the final art seems to confirm no vintage "making of" featurette, in spite of it still being mentioned on some spec lists, I'm guessing that's why this announcement took so long. Warners was clearly aiming for "minimal" in addressing the controversy, but by the looks of it had to lower that to "zero." Perhaps at least the ghost doc on there will be tied in specifically to the film, and not just some random junk they run on Discovery every Halloween...

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I really hope they do a press release soon, because the back cover says nothing about a new transfer, only audio.I heard the original releases picture was pretty bad.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have to agree. This is a horror-classic, a landmark film and should deserve some proper extras (at least Audio commentary and 30-50 min documentary)..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks