What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

3D Poll: Would You Buy A Glasses-Free 3D Display? (1 Viewer)

Which Display Would You Purchase?

• I would purchase the current 3D technology Display that requires eyewear

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • I would purchase the Glasses-Free Display

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For me, doing Infitec 3D (Dolby or Technicolor), like most forms of 3D, is a compromise. I would prefer to use a white screen, thus avoiding "hot spots" when doing 2D projection. I've also heard that image cancellation is very good with interference filters (~96%) and that colour issues can be resolved with proper calibration of the projectors. While Real D polarised can also look very good, I have seen several instances of ghosting in theatres. YMMV.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
if glasses-free technology wasn't already on the horizon, I probably wouldn't be as interested in this topic.

GLASSES

Active
  • Full 1080p in each eye
  • requires batteries
  • expensive glasses
Passive
  • No batteries required
  • only 540p in each eye
Both have the potential to have pop-out, meaning the images could seem to come off the screen. This is at the studios' discretion.

GLASSES-FREE
  • No glasses required
  • 1080p for each eye
This also has the potential to have pop-out, as mentioned in this video about Ultra-D technology.

Watch at 44 minutes in...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Since they have stopped promoting 3D TV's and now 4K is the next big deal, why would anyone come out with glasses-free 3D TV's? It is such a small group of people that would buy them, who cares?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
Since they have stopped promoting 3D TV's and now 4K is the next big deal, why would anyone come out with glasses-free 3D TV's? It is such a small group of people that would buy them, who cares?

Global sales of 3D sets were 24.14 million in 2011, 41.45 million units lin 2012 (note the increase). and 72% more in 2013. Don't know if I'd call that small.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
RJ992 said:
Global sales of 3D sets were 24.14 million in 2011, 41.45 million units lin 2012 (note the increase). and 72% more in 2013. Don't know if I'd call that small.

We need to see the results for 2014. I was referring to the number of people that would buy glass-free 3D sets as being small. I'm guessing that the price for these sets are probably going to be a lot more than 3D sets with glasses.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Didn't vote for either option- I'd only buy the glasses-free display if it delivered 3D as good as one with glasses.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
No one wanted lenticular glasses-free 3D in the 1940s when the Russians exhibited their Robinson Crusoe movie in it and I'd bet not many people want it now.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
I'm guessing that the price for these sets are probably going to be a lot more than 3D sets with glasses.

Guaranteed!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
StephenDH said:
No one wanted lenticular glasses-free 3D in the 1940s when the Russians exhibited their Robinson Crusoe movie in it and I'd bet not many people want it now.
Isn't that kind of like saying nobody wanted widescreen movies in the 20's and 30's though?

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
SilverWook said:
Isn't that kind of like saying nobody wanted widescreen movies in the 20's and 30's though?
It does sound a bit Luddite but as lenticular displays are so limited in their viewing angles and picture quality, I can't see a stampede for them happening any time soon.

Granted the Russian system with its copper wires etc. was an expensive and cumbersome affair but the principle is still the same.

If someone does manage to perfect it for a reasonable price then I'll be there. :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Ultra-D technology will upconvert any material into 3D, similar in concept to how Dolby Atmos upconverts any previous mono, stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 signal.

GregK

Screenwriter

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The article doesn't say if Samsung's TV has a lenticular screen but assuming it does then there's a limit to how many lenses it can accommodate, so picture quality can only go so far.

In addition to its other totally forseeable drawbacks, it doesn't look promising.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
After reading the article about the Samsung 8K glasses free 3D display it's truly amazing the death wish these manufactures have for 3D TV. Just when 4K passive sets start giving excellent HiDef 3D images we get a push for buggy glasses free tech that has never worked all that well. The corporate mind is a strange thing.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
SFMike said:
After reading the article about the Samsung 8K glasses free 3D display it's truly amazing the death wish these manufactures have for 3D TV. Just when 4K passive sets start giving excellent HiDef 3D images we get a push for buggy glasses free tech that has never worked all that well. The corporate mind is a strange thing.

Not really...it's just greed. To quote the original ROBOCOP film "Who cares if it works or not!"

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I voted for glasses free without knowing or having seen any demos of it. Such a display would bring one important factor to the table in that it would remove many of the technological variables that go into a 3D viewing experience.

Posts here are rife with everyone comparing what tech they use to achieve their 3D viewing - in some cases the only variable are the glasses used which are still enough to produce different results.

As for 3D pop out. I'm ambivalent about it. The main issue I have with it's use is that it breaks immersion with the story telling portion of the experience. Less is definitely better IMO. If it used to achieve or accent a specific feeling ie surprise, fright or comedy then it is more enjoyable. But in my experience it is much more a gimmick.

In the short term for 3D I think the future lies in the upcoming visors which will provide a more consistent 3D experience for everyone but, of course, the big caveat is how isolating it will be.

Perhaps the true adoption of 3D will never happen until holodecks are possible.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Poll fail.

I would not opt to buy either.

Isn't 3D at home near death anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks